Continental Arena must go, James says

msweet

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have determined that you want to drive, the option is most certainly there. Getting into and out of Newark in late afternoon/evening by car is a cinch and you know that. If I remember correctly you worked in Newark at one point. If you'd ever worked late you know that Broad Street is deserted by 6:30. Here's an unrealistic, but poignant scenario: a sellout crowd at the 18,500 seat arena. Only 2500 people used mass transit to get there. The other 16,000 people came in 8000 cars. 2000 cars come from the Northern Turnpike, 1000 from Route 21, 1000 from the Southern Turnpike, 2000 from 280 and 1000 from 78 and 22. That is easily doable. McCarter Highway, Broad Street, Raymond Boulevard and Market Street can handle that. You also know for fact that there are enough parking garages in the area around the arena site to support them. The ONLY problem that I foresee is that the downtown exits on Route 280 are dangerous and need to be redone completely. That however is not going to get done any time soon. If Newark can support 8000 cars (3000 of them coming from the Bergen area, accounting for some 6000 fans and another 2000 coming from Essex accounting for another 4000) then I'd say the city can handle the more realistic scenario of some 6500 people taking mass transit in that sellout game and the highways accounting for some 6000 cars. Newark can handle it easily.

If there is a reasonable driving solution... I'm all for the EWR solution.

But I'm skepticle right now to say the least.

NOTE TO DM:

Can we have a seperate threads on the New Arena Issue?

One for people who hawk plans but have no real intention of buying tickets to more than a handful of games a year and one for the people's opinions who really count and that's the one's buying season's tickets.

Hey MSweet..........are we supposed to have a separate thread for weekend season ticket holder, one for weekday ticket holder (are there any?), one for holiday plan owners, and one for miscellaneous others? do only full season ticket holders' opinions count in your eyer?

dj.......i hate picking on you but i have to here. the 5 mile difference to newark makes a huge difference. why? because you can get there by public transportation from everywhere in the state and from nyc. how can you get to the meadowlands without a car? you can take a bus from manhattan but once you're there it is impossible to get anywhere else by public transportation unless you are planning on going back to manhattan. you can say "well everyone drives in nj" which is by and large true, BUT people who take the trains and buses to work in newark, jersey city, new york, etc cannot go to the games during the week because there is no way to get there or back home. if your suggestion is a renovated CAA with a rail link to the secaucus junction and all the entertainment ammenities that would accompany xanadu, i'd be interested in that. however, IMO newark is the way to go. unfortunately you think that since CAA is convenient for you that it is therefore that convenient for everyone else. that is just not true.

I understand your point, and it was well said, but what I was suggesting is correct...

I think that establishing public transportation to the CAA is less costly than building a new arena, and considering Sharpe James gained $200 million from the Port Authority from 9/11, it would be in his best interest to re-invest that in public transportation to the CAA...

There is no arena solution that is going to appeal to everyone (except Secaucus and that ship has sailed). I do not have season tickets now as to go home from work and then drive the Meadowlands would mean that I would always miss the first period. I am married and do not have kids but assuming there is an arena in Newark and I did have kids I would have my wife and kid get on a train, meet me in Newark for a nice dinner, go to the game and then the three of us take the train home together afterwards. For a lot of people it is one train. Looking at a map it looks like it would be an inexpensive taxi between Broad St Station and where they propose the arena to be. I do not know what your big aversion to taking the Newark Subway thing is. It is not like NJ Transit trains that only run a few times an hour they are like NYC Subway trains that run every few minutes and I am sure they would be scheduled to connect for when your train arrives at Newark Broad St and when the game ends.

Nice dinner in Newark, give me a break....

The Newark arena has better access FROM NYC than CAA (NJ Transit buses/trains and the PATH) so the new arena would be a FAR superior location for Devil fans who work in NYC. Greater Access means greater attendance.

Thats just not true, from the port authority its a 20 minute bus ride to CAA.

That statement stubbs just tarnished your credibility, if you had any. I have had very fine dinners in Newark, and one could take ur statement as racial. And as for James making money from 9/11, the land lease extension by the PA was a direct effect of that. It is something that wouldn't have happened anyway. right. Why would James invest 200 of his city's millions in the Meadowlands. That makes absolutely no sense. By the time they spend 1 BILLION DOLLARS, in what I think maybe a failing venture in Xanadu, and renovate the arena for at least 100 MIL and then spend at least another 100 mil on a rail system, the money doesn't add up to a already failing arena.

Edited by HellOnICE

dj.......i hate picking on you but i have to here.  the 5 mile difference to newark makes a huge difference.  why?  because you can get there by public transportation from everywhere in the state and from nyc.  how can you get to the meadowlands without a car?  you can take a bus from manhattan but once you're there it is impossible to get anywhere else by public transportation unless you are planning on going back to manhattan.  you can say "well everyone drives in nj" which is by and large true, BUT people who take the trains and buses to work in newark, jersey city, new york, etc cannot go to the games during the week because there is no way to get there or back home.  if your suggestion is a renovated CAA with a rail link to the secaucus junction and all the entertainment ammenities that would accompany xanadu, i'd be interested in that.  however, IMO newark is the way to go.  unfortunately you think that since CAA is convenient for you that it is therefore that convenient for everyone else.  that is just not true.

I understand your point, and it was well said, but what I was suggesting is correct...

I think that establishing public transportation to the CAA is less costly than building a new arena, and considering Sharpe James gained $200 million from the Port Authority from 9/11, it would be in his best interest to re-invest that in public transportation to the CAA...

OK, my brain just exploded. I hope you're happy.

First of all, the $200 million was NOT from 9-11. It was from the renegotiation of the Port Authority lease on Newark Airport. Second of all, if the city of Newark were to invest in public transportation of any kind, why would it be outside the borders of the city? Wouldn't an extension of the subway make a tad bit more sense?

There is no arena solution that is going to appeal to everyone (except Secaucus and that ship has sailed). I do not have season tickets now as to go home from work and then drive the Meadowlands would mean that I would always miss the first period. I am married and do not have kids but assuming there is an arena in Newark and I did have kids I would have my wife and kid get on a train, meet me in Newark for a nice dinner, go to the game and then the three of us take the train home together afterwards. For a lot of people it is one train. Looking at a map it looks like it would be an inexpensive taxi between Broad St Station and where they propose the arena to be. I do not know what your big aversion to taking the Newark Subway thing is. It is not like NJ Transit trains that only run a few times an hour they are like NYC Subway trains that run every few minutes and I am sure they would be scheduled to connect for when your train arrives at Newark Broad St and when the game ends.

Nice dinner in Newark, give me a break....

I'll give ya a list of restaurants in Newark that you might like to try before saying that:

Downtown:

Maize (in the Robert Treat Hotel across the street from NJPAC)

Theater Square Grill (in the NJPAC itself)

Arthur's Downtown (in the Norcrown Bank Building across the street from the PSE&G building)

Ironbound:

Spanish Tavern (103 McWhorter St)

Tony DaCaneca's (72 Elm St)

Brasilia (132 Ferry St)

Fornos of Spain (47 Ferry St)

Krug's Tavern (118 Wilson Avenue)

Thats a few off the top of my head. Try one of those and get back to me. I especially recommend Maize, Arthur's and Spanish Tavern.

Edited by NewarkDevil5

The Newark arena has better access FROM NYC than CAA (NJ Transit buses/trains and the PATH) so the new arena would be a FAR superior location for Devil fans who work in NYC.  Greater Access means greater attendance.

So, the Meadowlands has:

1 bus from Port Authority

The Newark arena would have:

2 train lines from Penn Station

PATH Trains from mid/lower Manhattan

3 buses from Port Authority

hmmmmmm which is better?

The Newark arena has better access FROM NYC than CAA (NJ Transit buses/trains and the PATH) so the new arena would be a FAR superior location for Devil fans who work in NYC.  Greater Access means greater attendance.

It takes 20 minutes by PATH train from the World Trade Center Station in Downtown Manhattan (where there are no buses to the Meadowlands from) to Penn Station Newark. It takes 11 minutes by train from Penn Station New York in midtown Manhattan to Newark. I believe that qualifies as being better access than your 20 minute busride from the Port Authority to the Meadowlands. Oh yeah, there are buses from Port Authority to Penn Station Newark every 10-15 minutes. In case you didn't realize, Penn Station Newark is also the busiest bus terminal in the state.

No self-respecting middle class American would ever ride a public bus. You ever see the types of people who ride buses? They're cretin. Trains are much classier, and bigger so you can get away from the unsavory types.

(Yes, that was tongue-in-cheek.)

No self-respecting middle class American would ever ride a public bus. You ever see the types of people who ride buses? They're cretin. Trains are much classier, and bigger so you can get away from the unsavory types.

SO TRUE! LOL! Anyways, I take the bus from Port Authority to every single game that I go to (about 15-20 games plus playoffs), and to call it convenient is absolutely ridiculous. They run one bus every 20 mins, so if there is a crowd you can expect NJ Transit to be unprepared, and a long long wait will ensue. I can't even count how many times I've missed the beginning of the game even though I got to the PA at 6:15. Ok.....so now I have a question for you Stubbs. If I take the bus to the game, and afterwards I want to go to my parents house (monmouth county) or any other place in Jersey besides the meadowlands, how exactly would I get there??? Now please elaborate how this system is convenient.

Petey.....I live in Manhattan now so I don't have to worry about running down to Penn Station and catching a train to Jersey, but I know how absolutely annoying this system (if you can call it that) is. My only point is that Stubbs is just trying to make it out like the CAA is the be all and all. The fact is that the arena sucks, the transportation there sucks, and there is absolutely nothing to do there besides go to see the game. CAA is convenient for very few and a major pain the ass for the rest of us. People who are fanatic about the Devils, like myself, will grit their teeth and bear it. However, the casual fan will not and hence attendance sucks.

The last time I went to a Devils game via the bus, I got back to PA around 10:30. You know if you go for the subway the train will never come in time. That is just the way it works.

PE, I know, I am just reenforcing the point with a real world example.

Edited by PeteyNice

(Yes, that was tongue-in-cheek.)

Are you joking?

Public transportation is public transportation...

SO TRUE! LOL! Anyways, I take the bus from Port Authority to every single game that I go to (about 15-20 games plus playoffs), and to call it convenient is absolutely ridiculous. They run one bus every 20 mins, so if there is a crowd you can expect NJ Transit to be unprepared, and a long long wait will ensue. I can't even count how many times I've missed the beginning of the game even though I got to the PA at 6:15. Ok.....so now I have a question for you Stubbs. If I take the bus to the game, and afterwards I want to go to my parents house (monmouth county) or any other place in Jersey besides the meadowlands, how exactly would I get there??? Now please elaborate how this system is convenient.

Get a frickin car

Get a frickin car

Do you even have a license? Has it ever occurred to you that most people dealing with a car means lease payments, insurance (which is astronomical in NJ), parking, gas and tolls? Do you understand that owning a car in NJ can cost as much as renting an apartment? Have you any concept of what money is?