2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

saw on twitter that Marty is starting against Boston sunday.

i mean... what the actual fvck. 

How can he have played this bad, mouth about the organization for months, made Lou look bad, never took any blame. Yet he keeps on getting games.

It's not the organization's choice as to who starts, It's PDB and only PDB.  It has nothing to do with his status in the organization.  Absolutely nothing.  Who is starting is entirely a hockey decision, and that's PDB's choice.  He could come out tomorrow and say, "I hate this organization and I've never once actually cared about it."  and as long as he still wears goalie pads, he will likely still get starts.  We're officially out of playoffs so you shouldn't be bitching about who gets the start, that is the LEAST of my worries concerning the Devils

Oh, and if you think about it, Cory is coming off of a long stretch.

Edited by RizzMB30

How can he have played this bad, mouth about the organization for months, made Lou look bad, never took any blame. Yet he keeps on getting games.

Really? You really think there was any chance Cory would play tomorrow with it likely being Marty's last game in NJ? If you are pissed about him getting the game tomorrow, an absolutely meaningless game, you need to get a hobby and learn to relax.

And BTW, Marty played a very good game in net last night.

i believe it.. i didnt think they would dump pete after this season.. it all goes back to only being able to do so much with what you have to work with and i think thats pretty obvious, even though i dont particularly agree with a lot of decisions hes made this season thats not my job and neither myself or anyone else here sees what happens behind closed doors over there so..

I mean, HOW...THE fvck....are you actually surprised that Marty is starting against Boston?

C'mon, you can't possibly be this dense.

But if you really need this explained to you...consider it one final legacy start, but one that is for EVERYONE.  The fans in attendance get to say goodbye to him (at least I hope it's goodbye) and watch him play what seems very likely to be his last game in a Devils jersey.  Yeah, it got ugly this year at times, he's clearly not what he was, some of the quotes were hard to take...but for one friggin' game, a game that is completely meaningless otherwise, you put all of that aside and you celebrate a career that will go down as one of the best of all time...and all of it was done HERE.  This game represents the last on-ice chance to collectively celebrate two decades of an amazing career.   

Suggesting that Marty shouldn't get this start as some kind of punishment for his decline in play and for his quotes just comes off as petty and dumb, to say the least. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Honestly im scratching my head about our defence next season, there's just not enough room.  i want to see Zids and Fayne re-signed. Zids brings wayyyyyy too much offensive to simply let him go. We need all we can. Fayne is solid and we need to show him he's part of the plan.

Larsson has to play all season too. I know we need guys like that but Sal has to go, i'd even try to get rid of Volch and willing to live with rookies mistakes like i did all seasons. 

This is what i'd like to see:

Greene Fayne

Larsson Gelinas

Merril Zidlicky

Volchenkov Harrold

Severson

but our chances of getting rid of Sal AND A-train are pretty damn slim imo

Honestly im scratching my head about our defence next season, there's just not enough room.  i want to see Zids and Fayne re-signed. Zids brings wayyyyyy too much offensive to simply let him go. We need all we can. Fayne is solid and we need to show him he's part of the plan.

Larsson has to play all season too. I know we need guys like that but Sal has to go, i'd even try to get rid of Volch and willing to live with rookies mistakes like i did all seasons. 

Greene Fayne

Larsson Gelinas

Merril Zidlicky

Volchenkov Harrold

Severson

Salvador is very easily dealt.  He has one year left with no NTC on a deal that pays what an average NHL defenseman gets.  His numbers didn't stack up well against the other defenseman on the Devils, but I suspect they aren't that bad compared to the rest of the league. 

Volchenkov could be bought out.  You might also be able to trade him if he waives his NTC.  Only two years left, at an AAV that isn't that bad (Devils could retain some salary), and he's not that old.  I still think the Devils would be better off keeping Volchenkov.

Salvador is very easily dealt.  He has one year left with no NTC on a deal that pays what an average NHL defenseman gets.  His numbers didn't stack up well against the other defenseman on the Devils, but I suspect they aren't that bad compared to the rest of the league. 

Volchenkov could be bought out.  You might also be able to trade him if he waives his NTC.  Only two years left, at an AAV that isn't that bad (Devils could retain some salary), and he's not that old.  I still think the Devils would be better off keeping Volchenkov.

When looking at Sal's numbers, they are basically league average ( I assume you're looking at Corsi and Fenwick). However, he is definitely propped up by the team/system and I bet teams who use analytics will realize this

Honestly im scratching my head about our defence next season, there's just not enough room. i want to see Zids and Fayne re-signed. Zids brings wayyyyyy too much offensive to simply let him go. We need all we can. Fayne is solid and we need to show him he's part of the plan.

Greene Fayne

Larsson Gelinas

Merril Zidlicky

Volchenkov Harrold

Severson

Who's killing penalties, though?

Fayne-Larsson

Merill-Greene

Ehhh, I don't know I think one of them will be back.

I wonder if Volchenkov is going to be brought out, it was kind of odd Volchenkov was a healthy scratch yesterday.  Salvador and Clowe I wonder if they are going to be healthy to play at all next year, especially Clowe think he has another concussion this year

I assume they'll buy out Volchenkov actually having $ and healthy scratching him. Sal's not going anywhere and we all know it deep down as much as we want him sent out to Edmonton. I'm afraid that means Fayne will be gone which he probably shouldn't be but I don't know how you let Zidlicky go. And let's remember, he only would accept a trade here apparently 2 years ago, so he's back if we want him. And I don't know if you want to pay Fayne a lot. Betting on defensive defensemen's not the best move IMO

So I guess I'd do this:

Greene-Merrill

Larsson-Gelinas/Severson (if Gelinas can't play defense anymore still)

Zidlicky-Salvador

Harrold stealing half of Larsson's games for no reason 

My best guess is that the only big question mark is Fayne- he will probably have a lot of interest in ufa and I'm not sure if Lou will find it cost effective to keep him or just let him walk and open up a spot on the right side. But here is my guess at the d coming out of camp-

Greene-Fayne

Merrill-larsson

Salvador-zidlicky

Harrold

I don't believe Lou would buyout sal or volchenkov, but he might find a willing trade partner for one of them. If sal is on the team he won't be the 7th, but volchenkov might. Zidlicky is re-signed because he's good with the Czechs and brings a unique skill to the blue line. Gelinas starts in the A again to work on his defense and harrold is re-signed. I can't see how people actually think we'll have room for severson unless something very surprising happens, as good as he is expected to be.

If Fayne isn't back it changes things because then I could see both volch and sal staying, or they could have Merrill play the right side and keep gelinas up, but even that's risky because you have larsson and Merrill as your top two rhd pkers, so I'm going with the assumption that Lou wants Fayne back because he's clearly the best all around rhd we'll have next year.