Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

Hey!

One of my buddies and I were down at The Rock for the Seton Hall game the other day and I saw this brick building across the street from the arena on Edison Place that appeared to be recently powerwashed. There was a sign on it that said that it was space for a restaurant. I remember someone on here a while back that we should have a fan owned restaurant and bar near the arena. I think that this would be a really neat thing. We could call it NJDEV'S. What do you guys think? I did a photoshop of what it could look like (not very good but it proves a point) and I would post it but I have no clue how to post a picture from my hard drive onto here. Maybe we could have the Devils have a stake in it as well and have it look in the style of the Fire Lounge. (Red and black and modern). I wonder how much that space would cost? I believe that the value of it would skyrocket over the next five years.

Edit: So if you have heard about or seen any new development around The Rock, post what you know here.

Edited by The Rock 07

Hey!

One of my buddies and I were down at The Rock for the Seton Hall game the other day and I saw this brick building across the street from the arena on Edison Place that appeared to be recently powerwashed. There was a sign on it that said that it was space for a restaurant. I remember someone on here a while back that we should have a fan owned restaurant and bar near the arena. I think that this would be a really neat thing. We could call it NJDEV'S. What do you guys think? I did a photoshop of what it could look like (not very good but it proves a point) and I would post it but I have no clue how to post a picture from my hard drive onto here. Maybe we could have the Devils have a stake in it as well and have it look in the style of the Fire Lounge. (Red and black and modern). I wonder how much that space would cost? I believe that the value of it would skyrocket over the next five years.

Upload at imageshack.us then post the link ImageShack gives you in the IMG code --> %7Boption%7Dlink here[/ img] but WITHOUT the space between "/" and "img"

Edited by nmigliore

I imagine, if it is as close to the Rock as you claim, the price would be through the roof because of the location.

True, true. But since the building "boom" hasn't taken off yet around the arena yet, its probably not as bad as it will be 5 years from now. Maybe like last winter/spring would have been a good time to make the purchase but it might have had the same fate as Mesa which was 3 or 4 buildings down from the building I'm talking about.

Im not sure where this money could even come from, but a restaurant isnt a bad idea. The only problem is that there is plenty of time that there arent devil games going on which would eat into any profits.

According to Vanderbeek, there are going to be (ideally) 275 events at The Rock, per year, so that 85 days w/o events but we could get brochures and deliver them to offices and go after the NJPAC and Newark Bears crowd too. Also when the Triangle Park development is built, then there would be more people that live there who could be part of the crowd too.

njdevsqq0.th.png Here's the picture. I'm not the best at photoshop but you can see the general idea.

Its all great in theory, but where the hell is all of that money coming from? Then, where is the staff coming from? Most of us can't quit our jobs in hopes of our restaurant working... and want make the commute to Newark every day. I can see you put alot of thought into it, but I don't see how it could possibly happen.

It's just a daydream I had, that I thought would be something interesting to think about. Yes, money is a huge issue which would likely make it never happen.

Is this the place that closed down a month before the arena opened?

I wonder if the wide variety of food available inside the arena discourages the opening of restaurants outside.

That is a very good point. I think that since the arena has only been open since October, we haven't seen a lot of places open up. But by next season we should see Triangle Park moving along, and I feel that a restaurant will go in somewhere along Edison Place. Mesa was down the street in a little tan building next to where they had the stage on Opening Night by the PNC Tower. This building is further down Edison closer to Broad Street than Mulberry.

Theres a silver building right across the street from the devils store ( i dk if we're talking about the same building) but it would be good for a restaurant. The urinals could have little rangers symbols in them.

Rangers logos and mug shots of Avery and Gomez to "aim at".

Yes, that must have been where I saw it. Thank you for posting that.

Even though the naming rights for this bar seem to have already been locked down, my offer of a jar of pennies and a high five is still on the table. I'm a team player like that.

Even though the naming rights for this bar seem to have already been locked down, my offer of a jar of pennies and a high five is still on the table. I'm a team player like that.

That's our best offer yet!

Theres a silver building right across the street from the devils store ( i dk if we're talking about the same building) but it would be good for a restaurant. The urinals could have little rangers symbols in them.

That is where Mesa was before it closed down. This is a brick building further down Edison. The toilet idea sounds good!

The building in question is already a resturaunt replete with full bar and hardwood floors. They opened six months before the arena and closed 1 month before.

I believe it was called Mesau resturaunt or something.,

It is ready and waiting.

Looks similar inside to Mompou Tappas bar on the inside.

http://www.mompoutapas.com/ctcshop/store/c...?idProduct=4084

Edited by Reverend_Hellh0und

The building in question is already a resturaunt replete with full bar and hardwood floors. They opened six months before the arena and closed 1 month before.

I believe it was called Mesau resturaunt or something.,

It is ready and waiting.

Looks similar inside to Mompou Tappas bar on the inside.

http://www.mompoutapas.com/ctcshop/store/c...?idProduct=4084

Mesa Pic 1

Mesa Pic 2

Here are two pics of Mesa. This is actually a better location, because it is directly across the street from the PNC Tower and the Devils Den. It is also a smaller building and it already has everything in there ready to go.

I'll get some more pictures of this building up here soon.

therockjanuary4th200800an0.th.jpg

Here is a picture taken by me of the Mesa location on January 4th. This was taken outside the Devils Den and in the background is the Gateway Center. I think that some red brick would look good on here to blend in with the area.

Edited by The Rock 07

• 2 months later...

Yes, I'm resurrecting this topic from the dead but we have some new developments in this. The brick building (not the former Mesa) on Edison Place that we had targeted for a restaurant has been renovated recently. It has been powerwashed and gutted. A sign has been put on the front and it says "ISLEY" which is the new name of the building (The Isley Building). On the bottom and second floors, a bar and grill is being put in called Brick City Bar and Grill. On the rest of the floors, condos are being put in. I believe four units. The first floor of the restaurant in slated to open in August and the second floor in December. I'm glad that this building is being renovated. I hope that the rest of the brick buildings on Edison will be renovated in a similar fashion. I believe that it has been said by Mr.Vanderbeek that a Sheraton or a Courtyard by Marriott was going up on Edison. I was in Denver last summer and there was a hotel that had an old brick building as a base and then a glass tower going up out of that. I think that would work perfectly on Edison. Use those two remaining abandon buildings as the lobby then put a glass tower on top of them.

Also, people have been saying that on Mulberry Street a restaurant is going in called Arena Cafe (owned by the Arena Bar?).

Here's the link to the forum where I found the article. IDK about copyright rules because I know that there was an issue on here earlier in the year so here's the link. Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.

Link

Also, I would like to re-name this thread as "Revitaliztaion around The Rock" so that we can put up any development news if we hear about it.