Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

They have started to tear down buildings along Mulberry Street between Edison Place and Market Street to build an entry plaza to the arena. Mr.Vanderbeek said that there is going to be a large sculpture of a hockey player and they are trying to bring over the big old beer bottle (I always thought that it was a ketchup bottle) that was on a factory on the east side of the Parkway.

Link 1

Link 2

Edited by The Rock 07

Nice! And thanks for the current updates!

:thumbsup:

You're welcome. I'll probably head down there when they start either Triangle Park or when they start the building process on the entry plaza and I'll post pictures.

Edited by The Rock 07

I love Jeff Vanderbeek. Every single thing I've suggested thusfar has been given due consideration and a large part of it has been implemented.

I love what I'm seeing so far and I love the renderings of what its going to look like when its done, but I still want one more thing: a big fountain in the middle of that triangle park with sculptures of Scott Stevens, Marty Brodeur and Claude Lemieux holding up a Stanley Cup in the middle of it. I've predicted just about everything else regarding this arena, lets see if this one gets put into place too.

C'mon Jeff! Commission a real good sculptor to give us a nice monument for the Devils of the future to crowd around when they win future championships! I'd love to have that as something that whatever national channel happens to be broadcasting games can focus on whenever they televise a game at the Rock.

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?sho...22635&st=80

can somebody clarify which entrance plaza they are referring to. the one that was heavily advertised throughout the construction period of the arena was the triangle park on the east side of the buidling, which included the bridge to penn station, all framed by a hotel and office buidling. However, this plaza seems to be on the northeast side on the space between market and edison.

What im getting at is:

a) are there now two entrance plaza's (east side with bridge; northeast side between market and edison)

b) when does construction start on triangle park whcih includes the bridge

Yes, this plaza is different than Triangle Park. This will be on the spot of that little blacktopped corner with the Prudential logo on the floor. This plaza is supposed to be the "Yawkey Way of Newark" and they will have vendors and stuff set up. (For those who don't know, Yawkey Way is a street outside Fenway Park in Boston that is closed off on gameday and street vendors and food stands set up shop there. It has a great atmosphere). I think that since Edison Place is closed off anyway, they should make it like Yawkey Way. yawkey-way-at-game-time.jpg

From what I know, they are going to be building garages to replace the lots where Triangle Park will be. (Maybe a few floors of garage with retail on the bottom and skyscrapers on top?) Or maybe they'll do what they have at Military Park in Newark where they have a garage underneath the park.

It has been said by Mr. Vanderbeek that Triangle Park's groundbreaking will be in May but I don't know how accurate that is due to landswaps and permits and such.

can somebody clarify which entrance plaza they are referring to. the one that was heavily advertised throughout the construction period of the arena was the triangle park on the east side of the buidling, which included the bridge to penn station, all framed by a hotel and office buidling. However, this plaza seems to be on the northeast side on the space between market and edison.

What im getting at is:

a) are there now two entrance plaza's (east side with bridge; northeast side between market and edison)

b) when does construction start on triangle park whcih includes the bridge

I noticed that they have been rehabing the old railroad bridge that goes over McCarter Highway in the past month or so. Just like getting the rust off and prep work like that so far. They aso have cleared a few sites along there and they have been doing prep work there as well.

Restaurants have the biggest failure rate among small businesses. Last I checked it was somewhere around 95%. They are hard to make a profit, they have so much compitition and they must have a niche market. What sort of foods do you expect to be selling, what is the market demographics and with the compitition what chunk of those people do you expect to get before a game. What about the summer and non game nights, how do you expect to compete with actual restaurents with gourmet chefs.

Also do you realize the costs of setting up something like this. A restuarent with this location is going to be looking for a pretty penny for that building, especially because the Rock went up. They knew exactly what they were doing when they build/bought that building. They are looking for a 100% return on that building no doubt.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Restaurants have the biggest failure rate among small businesses. Last I checked it was somewhere around 95%. They are hard to make a profit, they have so much compitition and they must have a niche market. What sort of foods do you expect to be selling, what is the market demographics and with the compitition what chunk of those people do you expect to get before a game. What about the summer and non game nights, how do you expect to compete with actual restaurents with gourmet chefs.

Also do you realize the costs of setting up something like this. A restuarent with this location is going to be looking for a pretty penny for that building, especially because the Rock went up. They knew exactly what they were doing when they build/bought that building. They are looking for a 100% return on that building no doubt.

That's an interesting statistic. This plan has been scratched because the two locations have already been taken. One is becoming 'Brick City Bar and Grill' that is going to have a gourmet chef (The name escapes me) and is opening in August. The other location is in the process of being torn down to make way for an entry plaza to the arena

Edited by The Rock 07

Are there any links out there to maps of the full plan for the area or articles that really articulate exactly what they're doing? I'm getting confused with the bridge, plaza, trangle park, etc.

I also saw a thing on the History Channel the other night talking about urban revitalization while maintaining the past. A small segment was included about The Rock while it was still in it's demolition phase. They said all but one building was torn down, and that this remaining historic piece of property would one day be part of a grand entrance to the arena. Is this something that's already part of the building and I just haven't noticed it yet? Or is it a part of this plaza?

So confused.

the east side of the building with the screen will face triangle park. at the far end of triangle park (the far east side), there will be a bridge that connects triangle park to penn station. on the North side and northeast corner (thats faces downtown newark), is where the entrance plaza will be. there is already a tiny pad of concrete there when they finished the building in october. the historic building that everyone is referring to, is on the west side next to the historic church (next to the devils garage). not sure how they logisitcally plan on making that an entrance seeing there is a players parking lot and the loading docks between the arena and this historic building.

the east side of the building with the screen will face triangle park.

Having seen the new Ginormous flatscreen at the Washington Nationals new ballbark last night on TV -- why the F couldnt we have put one of those up instead of that lame ass one they have outside the Rock. :evilcry:

not sure how they logisitcally plan on making that an entrance seeing there is a players parking lot and the loading docks between the arena and this historic building.

I don't know either. I was up in the garage last week, and I was thinking about how they could do that. The only feasable solution that I could see is something like this.

njrrcrossdiagram.jpg

Having seen the new Ginormous flatscreen at the Washington Nationals new ballbark last night on TV -- why the F couldnt we have put one of those up instead of that lame ass one they have outside the Rock. :evilcry:

That's nothing compared to the D-Backs' new one, dbtv. It's almost 8,000 square feet compared to the Nationals' 4,811 square feet. It's the largest in baseball and it might be the largest in sports. I'm a D-Backs fan and I was out there last week, its pretty sweet.

ArizonaApril2008819.jpg

But the reason why they did the board outside The Rock like they did so that sunlight can come in and so you're not always looking at the back of a TV screen.

Edited by The Rock 07

Impressive -- I still maintain that it would have been a better choice than the crap we got -- cant even see what its showing on certain angles.

I think they did that so it didn't block the windows...but I know nothing.

the east side of the building with the screen will face triangle park. at the far end of triangle park (the far east side), there will be a bridge that connects triangle park to penn station. on the North side and northeast corner (thats faces downtown newark), is where the entrance plaza will be. there is already a tiny pad of concrete there when they finished the building in october. the historic building that everyone is referring to, is on the west side next to the historic church (next to the devils garage). not sure how they logisitcally plan on making that an entrance seeing there is a players parking lot and the loading docks between the arena and this historic building.

Thanks for trying to clear that up. It sounds pretty impressive. The only thing I'm unsure about is this whole "Yawkey Way of Newark" thing. That works for the Red Sox because their season is in the summer and people will be more willing to hang out in the street. Winters in Jersey can be cold and nasty ... not eactly street vendor weather. Unless this whole thing is indoors?

I think they did that so it didn't block the windows...but I know nothing.

Yeah, that's right. I think what they should do is have them on wheels and have them move together when there isn't an event or at night when you can't see anything, and during playoff games too when we get Triangle Park.

mulberrymarqueeproposal.jpg