142 replies to this topic

#41 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,942 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

Harbaugh is very unique. Can you name a former all-pro QB coming to coach an NFL team? At least in respect to the modern game. Its almost uncharted, but his coaching ability I dont think is questionable at this time. He comes from a family of coaches.

The rest were good points too, but in ANY sport you name me an elite level player (and that was one thing about Harbaugh, before he went to Indy I was calling him "Jim Horrible" and rightly so..... I never saw a QB go as low as he did and rise so high....it does add to the exception factor because he unlike other top-level guys, the other guys don't understand the extra hard work and not having that extra level to achieve to and it's why they end up being bad coaches)...hell look at Singletary as an example
(or even Del Rio who was an awesome MLB but an average coach)

I'm trying to think of anyone else....it's not coming to me now, I'm sure I missed someone :P
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#42 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:26 PM

Not necessarily elite players, but players that became coaches and had some success as coaches: Mike Scoiscia, Doc Rivers, Joe Girardi, Ozzie Guillen, LARRY ROBINSON ;).

Edited by ghdi, 05 January 2011 - 09:33 PM.

#43 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,900 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

Larry was really the only HOF player on that list and he was an effective coach for a while, but not really a top coach per se. Lemaire was a HOF player too and he actually was a great coach until he became a dinosaur :P He is one of the exceptions to the rule. I think Lenny Wilkens in the NBA too (not sure if he was a HOF player but he was at least very close) and he became one of the winningest coaches ever.

Usually great players don't make great coaches, but a lot of times very good players can - Joe Torre being another example.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#44 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

Larry was really the only HOF player on that list and he was an effective coach for a while, but not really a top coach per se. Lemaire was a HOF player too and he actually was a great coach until he became a dinosaur :P He is one of the exceptions to the rule. I think Lenny Wilkens in the NBA too (not sure if he was a HOF player but he was at least very close) and he became one of the winningest coaches ever.

Usually great players don't make great coaches, but a lot of times very good players can - Joe Torre being another example.

Doesnt matter in respect to the discussion we're having. Harbaugh is not a HOF'er.

Doc Rivers, Scoscia, Guillen, Girardi - all good players who have won championships as coaches. I added Larry Robinson as a joke to Crasher.

Singletary is a HOF'er, but he's never even been a coordinator before he was a head coach.

I would've included guys like Wilkens and even Phil Jackson, but they also played way back when. Tried to keep it a little modern. You can even go to Tommy Lasorda and guys like that if we're really getting particular.

Good players can make good coaches. In the case of Harbaugh, it all depends on the situation and the owner he is with. Carolina and Denver both have ownership which would give him some time. San Francisco, I dunno.

Edited by ghdi, 05 January 2011 - 10:02 PM.

#45 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,353 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:25 AM

Harbaugh is very unique. Can you name a former all-pro QB coming to coach an NFL team? At least in respect to the modern game. Its almost uncharted, but his coaching ability I dont think is questionable at this time. He comes from a family of coaches.

Jim Zorn...how did that work out.

And I like how they're interviewing (and apparently prepared to make him the highest paid head coach in the NFL) all the while Sparano is STILL THE COACH

An utter disgrace, stay classy Miami
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#46 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,942 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:38 AM

Harbaugh wants $6.5 million a year to coach in the NFL :blink:

Wade Phillips official in Houston as the next guy to screw up their defense :lol:

And I gotta wonder what team's gonna take a swing at Vince Young next year too (someone will..... maybe the Redskins :lol: )

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

#47 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:56 AM

Jim Zorn...how did that work out.

And I like how they're interviewing (and apparently prepared to make him the highest paid head coach in the NFL) all the while Sparano is STILL THE COACH

An utter disgrace, stay classy Miami

Forgot about Zorn, but he was an excellent assistant before becoming a head guy. Harbaugh has head coaching experience already. It just feels different with Harbaugh considering his roots. Its also worth noting that Jim Zorn was under Dennis Erickson (lol) and Bobby Ross (lol) before he finally got with Holmgren.

And yes, Miami are a bit disgusting the way they're handling these things.

#48 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

Luck is staying for his senior year. Just like Peyton, just like Bradford.

I imagine this gives Stanford some leverage in keeping Harbaugh as well. Will be interesting.

#49 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,281 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

Sports have sucked this past year for me with all my teams being bad. You know it isn't good when the Toronto Blue Jays is the best team you root for. And I have taken all the losing well, but this is the ultimate blow of the year. Andrew Luck is going to be a star QB in the NFL and it just sucks he won't be the Panthers QB of the future.

I'm trying not to be bias here. This is not a great decision for him. His coach and mentor is leaving in Harbaugh. He'll have to learn a whole new offense. 3 offensive lineman are gone. He won't ever be as hot of a prospect as he is now, and the Panthers have as much talent as #1 pick team has had in a long time. This team was simply this bad because of their QB play, which he can fix.

This sucks...

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#50 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

His coach and mentor is leaving in Harbaugh. He'll have to learn a whole new offense. 3 offensive lineman are gone. He won't ever be as hot of a prospect as he is now, and the Panthers have as much talent as #1 pick team has had in a long time. This team was simply this bad because of their QB play, which he can fix.

This sucks...

Sam Bradford missed almost his entire senior year injured and still went #1 and is flourishing. Peyton Manning did the exact same thing his junior year. Everyone thought he was going to leave, but stayed because he didnt want to go to the Jets, and has been fine. Funniest thing about Manning is that Tennesse won a Nat'l Championship the year after he left lol.

Its also highly likely that if Harbaugh does leave (which does seem likely) that David Shaw is going to get the job to replace Harbaugh. He's the Stanford offensive coordinator and has been for Luck's entire college career. He's also a Stanford alum.

You're just bitter you're not getting him, which I completely understand, but you're not looking at the full picture. Luck is in a better position than you realize. Its also possible Carolina is in the same spot again next year if they stick with the sh!t they have under center right now.

#51 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,281 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:12 PM

Sam Bradford missed almost his entire senior year injured and still went #1 and is flourishing. Peyton Manning did the exact same thing his junior year. Everyone thought he was going to leave, but stayed because he didnt want to go to the Jets, and has been fine. Funniest thing about Manning is that Tennesse won a Nat'l Championship the year after he left lol.

Its also highly likely that if Harbaugh does leave (which does seem likely) that David Shaw is going to get the job to replace Harbaugh. He's the Stanford offensive coordinator and has been for Luck's entire college career. He's also a Stanford alum.

You're just bitter you're not getting him, which I completely understand, but you're not looking at the full picture. Luck is in a better position than you realize. Its also possible Carolina is in the same spot again next year if they stick with the sh!t they have under center right now.

Maybe you are right. You are definitely right that they'd be stuck with the first pick overall if Clausen is the QB. I don't think Luck could be any hotter as a prospect right now, but we'll see. If he just wants to finish his degree, good for him.

Edited by devilsrule33, 06 January 2011 - 06:22 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#52 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

Maybe you are right. You are definitely right that they'd be stuck with the first pick overall if Clausen is the QB. I don't think Luck could any hotter as a prospect right now, but we'll see. If he just wants to finish his degree, good for him.

Again, Sam Bradford and Peyton Manning. It was the exact same kind of buzz for them, but they both stayed. Obviously, Luck could get seriously destroyed and ruin everything, but he could even be middling next season and still go number one.

You also have to remember that the NFL is in a very tough position right now with the upcoming lockout stuff. There is most likely going to be a lockout come March 4th, how long it lasts is anyone's guess.

#53 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,281 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:57 AM

Again, Sam Bradford and Peyton Manning. It was the exact same kind of buzz for them, but they both stayed. Obviously, Luck could get seriously destroyed and ruin everything, but he could even be middling next season and still go number one.

You also have to remember that the NFL is in a very tough position right now with the upcoming lockout stuff. There is most likely going to be a lockout come March 4th, how long it lasts is anyone's guess.

You are right about those guys, but there is Jake Locker too. He was considered a possible top 5 pick before returning for his senior year, and now he might not even be a first rounder after a tough senior year surrounded by some bad players and could fall to round 3. Which ever team grabs him is getting a pretty damn good QB, but his decision cost him millions.

You're probably right about Luck, but a major injury is a possible concern. I guess it is nice to come from a rich family.

Edited by devilsrule33, 07 January 2011 - 01:58 AM.

#54 UnderDogX

UnderDogX

Graphics Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:20 AM

its not like we are talking a few million dollars that he might lose if he gets hurt...he is without a doubt and in almost complete certainty going to lose out on upwards of 20 million dollars based on a new rookie cap and pay structure that will almost definitely be in place after this year's draft. So to pile on to what others are saying, this is a completely shocking move and I'm surprised he's listening to whomever is advising him...
'05-'06 Hobey Baker Award Winner (Best Rookie Poster)

*click click* *whistle whistle* "Its my thing, my trademark...its what I do."

#55 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

You are right about those guys, but there is Jake Locker too. He was considered a possible top 5 pick before returning for his senior year, and now he might not even be a first rounder after a tough senior year surrounded by some bad players and could fall to round 3. Which ever team grabs him is getting a pretty damn good QB, but his decision cost him millions.

You're probably right about Luck, but a major injury is a possible concern. I guess it is nice to come from a rich family.

Locker was not a consensus #1 and wouldnt have been taken ahead of Bradford last year. He's never had anything around him and even guys like Kiper and McShay (who I think are both douchebags) didn't have him as a #1 pick, just that he would be the first QB after Bradford taken. Yes, Locker should've come out last year in hindsight, but Locker also didnt have the luxury of coming back to a team that was expected to contend for the Pac-10 title, which are the same reasons Manning and Bradford came back, they wanted to WIN in college. Locker was a moron because Washington (my almamater) was never going to contend. Stanford was expected to be in the top 3-4 of the Pac-10. Luck was already buzzed about last year as well and had to stay this year and proved himself on a bigger stage in more meaningful games.

Luck will be the Heisman frontrunner, Stanford will be ranked in the top 5, and basically the college game is his to own. Sure, injury is always a possibility, but he could get hit by a car walking across the street!

He left some money on the table for sure, but if its worth it to him to stay in college, get his degree, and try to make history for Stanford, its not our place to second guess him.

Edited by ghdi, 07 January 2011 - 12:39 PM.

#56 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:52 PM

Sparano back in Miami

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5997519

boy am I glad to see his fistpumping, sunglasses wearing ass twice a year

#57 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

Sparano back in Miami

Wanting Harbaugh and keeping Sparano: like wanting an I-Pad for Xmas and getting a used Etch-a-Sketch

#58 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

Harbaugh took the Niners job. 5 year deal.

#59 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,942 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

Sparano back in Miami

Slow down on that..... Miami CANCELED the presser about Sparano.... weird stuff going on there.....

#60 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

Slow down on that..... Miami CANCELED the presser about Sparano.... weird stuff going on there.....

Its been rescheduled for Saturday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users