Urbom claimed off waivers by Washington then by Devils from WSH

Marshall

Hey Mike first time, long time.  Just wanted to get your opinion on the Devils claiming Alex Urbom off waivers and sending Jacob Josefson to the IR? 

Waitaeckin...who claiming who and who? Dis waited on da line foah two howas folks, ok. Don't you have something bettah to do than make up names and pretend youah GM??

hahahahahahaha... I just imagined the butt reaming a caller would get if he asked that kind of question. Amazing.

Hey Mike first time, long time.  Just wanted to get your opinion on the Devils claiming Alex Urbom off waivers and sending Jacob Josefson to the IR? 

Waitaeckin...who claiming who and who? Dis waited on da line foah two howas folks, ok. Don't you have something bettah to do than make up names and pretend youah GM??

HAHAH

I laughed out loudly and hard at work

Thanks for that.

Oh that Mike Zaun

hahahahahahaha... I just imagined the butt reaming a caller would get if he asked that kind of question. Amazing.

Francessa would blow a gasket and think he was being pranked

i think he's a devils type defender and will work great for us in a year or two, send him down let him learn. washington missed out.

Hoping for the best, but I don't see him being more than a 3rd pairing/7th d guy. He got passed by Merrill and Gelly this offseason despite having more experience and no minor league option. 

I am confused on why people keep saying he got passed by Merrill and Gelinas on the depth chart. I am pretty sure neither of them were on the team to start the season and were only called up after Urbom was claimed and the D had various injuries.

Edited by hystyk28

I am confused on why people keep saying he got passed by Merrill and Gelinas on the depth chart. I am pretty sure neither of them were on the team to start the season and were only called up after Urbom was claimed and the D had various injuries.

Compare their seasons. It's really quite obvious.

Compare their seasons. It's really quite obvious.

First of all this makes no sense. You can't pass someone on the depth chart if they aren't in the organization. No one knows if Urbom wouldn't have been called up before Merrill. Oh, and if you look at stats, Urbom has as many points as Merrill in 2 less games and and is a plus player, Jon is a minus 7. Obviously, Merrill is waaaaayyyyy better.

First of all this makes no sense. You can't pass someone on the depth chart if they aren't in the organization. No one knows if Urbom wouldn't have been called up before Merrill. Oh, and if you look at stats, Urbom has as many points as Merrill in 2 less games and and is a plus player, Jon is a minus 7. Obviously, Merrill is waaaaayyyyy better.

Yeah, he is waaay better:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?s=1&f1=2013_s%202012_s%202011_s%202010_s%202009_s%202008_s%202007_s&f2=5v5&f3=ALEXANDERURBOM&c=0+1+2+3+7+8+11+12+13+14+15+16+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63#

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?s=1&f1=2013_s%202012_s%202011_s%202010_s%202009_s%202008_s%202007_s&f2=5v5&f3=JONMERRILL&c=0+1+2+3+7+8+11+12+13+14+15+16+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63#

Urbom's getting pushed back horribly.  Merrill is holding his own.  +/- is stupid.

Edited by Triumph

Urbom wasn't going to be on the team to start the season just like Merrill and Gelinas. He was either going to get claimed or get sent to Albany. Gelinas has been in the organization for years so the Devils knew what they had in him. Merrill was in the organization last March so it's not like he was some unkown to the Devils. The only reason Urbom got an extended look in camp is because he was waiver elgibile. Merrill and Gelinas clearly jumped him on the depth chart.

If Urbom reaches his potential, he'll be another Gelinas for the most part. Urbom still has the potential to be a good defensemen in this league. He needs a lot of polishing though,

Not sure I agree with that comparison. I see a more physical version of Andy Greene. He states too well for his size not to find a place on some team. It may take another season, maybe 2, but I believe he is a second pairing player.

If Urbom reaches his potential, he'll be another Gelinas for the most part.  Urbom still has the potential to be a good defensemen in this league.  He needs a lot of polishing though,

I think Urbom can be serviceable from the little I have seen from him, but I think Gelinas will clearly be a better player.

http://www.extraskater.com/players/dashboard?players=910,1209

The depth chart is just a chart to map out the pecking order and who is better than who. You can do a depth chart with every player in the NHL. Merrill is clearly better than Urbom and whether or not they were on the same team for the past 20 games is unimportant. 

If Urbom reaches his potential, he'll be another Gelinas for the most part.  Urbom still has the potential to be a good defensemen in this league.  He needs a lot of polishing though,

They are nothing alike. Unless 'for the most part' means "Gelinas with a much lesser shot". 

http://www.extraskater.com/players/dashboard?players=910,1209

The depth chart is just a chart to map out the pecking order and who is better than who. You can do a depth chart with every player in the NHL. Merrill is clearly better than Urbom and whether or not they were on the same team for the past 20 games is unimportant. 

They are nothing alike. Unless 'for the most part' means "Gelinas with a much lesser shot". 

Urbom has a good shot from what I've read about him.