Andy Greene's Linemate

Jerzey

Ok so we all know how awesome he is but how much is he personally responsible for how his linemate's play? The reason I ask is because Severson looked awesome with him last season, and now Larsson is playing awesome with him. Neither of them, however, played or are playing as well without him though. 

My real question here is should Larsson and Severson be splitting time with Greene or should we just leave it alone because of how great Greene and Larsson are playing right now? Hell, should Gelinas get some time with him for experience or just to inflate his trade status (not really)? I'm not really worried about Severson's development because I still think he's going to be incredible one day, but getting some time with Greene could really help. I should note that I have seen them paired up a couple of times this season but I think it could have been on special teams.

Not sure if your premise is correct that Larrson and Severson have not performed well in different pairings.  I mean, I'm sure Greene makes them better, but seems like both of them can hold their own so long as they're not doing double duty because of a truly wretched linemate. 

Edited by Daniel

I can't remember who Larsson was paired with last season after DeBoer left but I think it was Greene. That, to me, was the biggest turn around for Larsson so far. But he's still playing even better this season with Greene. Severson seems to have disappeared a little this season. Could just be a sophomore slump or it could just be that he's still so young but he definitely played his best with Greene at the beginning of last season.

I can't remember who Larsson was paired with last season after DeBoer left but I think it was Greene. That, to me, was the biggest turn around for Larsson so far. But he's still playing even better this season with Greene. Severson seems to have disappeared a little this season. Could just be a sophomore slump or it could just be that he's still so young but he definitely played his best with Greene at the beginning of last season.

It was Severson-Greene early on, then Severson was injured and when Stevens came in Larsson was playing with Greene.

Andy Greene has regularly made his partner better though, for a good five years now. He's become what Paul Martin was to him and Johnny Oduya, that steadying veteran presence. It's a shame there's only one of him, I do think that being paired with Greene has been good for just about anyone assigned to that post.

I remember people losing their f'n minds when we let Fayne go too. Clearly that was all Greene

I do think that Fayne was a pretty serviceable defenseman.  He definitely cashed in under the illusion of being a top 2 or top 4 defenseman, which he clearly isn't.  Who knows, maybe we don't struggle nearly as bad with Fayne playing under DeBoer through that bad stretch.

I'd like to see Lars paired with someone else eventually. IMO he's not that far from being similar to Greene in his abilty to elevate his partner, and even now, if he plays with somebody decent like Schlemko, that frees Greene up to work with Severson or Merrill. Of course, that means Severson and Merrill are going to be playing harder minutes, which could be a problem.

Fayne should really give Greene a cut of his contract...he got a big deal thanks to playing with Andy and he's now a healthy scratch for EDMONTON.

Its surprising to see anyone being a healthy scratch in Edmonton, as they have a lack of vet defense to teach the young core they have.

Fayne, is and was a 5-6 guy in my opinion.

I'd like to see Lars paired with someone else eventually. IMO he's not that far from being similar to Greene in his abilty to elevate his partner, and even now, if he plays with somebody decent like Schlemko, that frees Greene up to work with Severson or Merrill. Of course, that means Severson and Merrill are going to be playing harder minutes, which could be a problem.

I think keeping Larson, Severson, Gelinas and Merrill paired with a vet would help them out more than if they pair any of them together.

As an example I looked at a defensive pairing Toronto did a for a bit with Gardiner and Reiley, and it was fun to watch them with all their energy, however it came at a cost being their defense. 

NJ should look at keeping these guys separated for a few years till they mature a bit, and learn from a vet presence on the ice.