Marek zidlicky traded to Devils.

JRZYRIPPER

I don't think Fayne has been the worst defenseman by any means, but that being said, i think Salvador has proven to be our top guy, he's had a really good comeback and has been super reliable in all situations. I'd put Fayne maybe right behind him, possibly behind Greene since he's come back. I have no issues with Fayne

Edited by Bibby89

I don't think Fayne has been the worst defenseman by any means, but that being said, i think Salvador has proven to be our top guy, he's had a really good comeback and has been super reliable in all situations. I'd put Fayne maybe right behind him, possibly behind Greene since he's come back. I have no issues with Fayne

Absolutely. I have alot of faith in our defense right now. Itll be interesting to see what Zid brings to the table. Who do you think he will be paired with?

My thoughts are:

Salvador - Zid

Fayne - Greene

Volchenkov - Taormina/Larsson

This is also assuming that Tallinder is down for the count?

I've warmed to the deal somewhat but those saying he's a massive upgrade over foster aren't realizing that zid isn't that great 5 on 5 either. If his plus minus breaks even with us I'll take it. The only reason this deal is a net gain for us is that foster was a disaster even strength. I still miss palms but hopefully we can make a deep run...although I don't think lou is done.

I've warmed to the deal somewhat but those saying he's a massive upgrade over foster aren't realizing that zid isn't that great 5 on 5 either. If his plus minus breaks even with us I'll take it. The only reason this deal is a net gain for us is that foster was a disaster even strength. I still miss palms but hopefully we can make a deep run...although I don't think lou is done.

I had the same opinion earlier, but he was recommended internally by Lemaire and other coaches which kind of tips the balance in Zid's favor as we pretty much go by what we hear. I am sure Lemaire and the other coaches know Zidlicky and his value. Also, Devs were trying to bring him here earlier so Lou looks like he was always high on the guy. This gives me confidence in getting Zidlicky here and wish him all the best. Lou may have been trying to replace Rafalski with this guy ... God knows.

Edited by Anhkheg

I had the same opinion earlier, but he was recommended internally by Lemaire and other coaches which kind of tips the balance in Zid's favor as we pretty much go by what we hear. I am sure Lemaire and the other coaches know Zidlicky and his value. Also, Devs were trying to bring him here earlier so Lou looks like he was always high on the guy. This gives me confidence in getting Zidlicky here and wish him all the best. Lou may have been trying to replace Rafalski with this guy ... God knows.

Didn't they say that lemaire was also consulted about foster and recommended him?

Are we allowed to go watch the practices? Are they private or open to the public?

from what i tend to hear, usually not, only press. Sometimes I hear about fans attending, but restricted to STH or some exclusive VIP perks :rolleyes:. They usually even pull the shades down over the windows so people can't look in from the street. I guess it's valid so scouts of other teams have to go through proper protocols to watch rather than spying with plain-clothes agents posing as fans.So nobody pulls a Bill Belicheat

Edited by Legion15

Five player trade with 1 pick for sure and 1 more all for Zidlicky? Lou better be right, he hasn't done that great since 2005.

Frazer and Pelley for Foster then Foster, Palmieri and Veilleux plus 2nd round pick and then a possible 3rd round pick that's a lot for one old guy with a $4M cap hit with a year to go.

Uncle Lou giving away the store. Fletcher stuck it to Lou.

from what i tend to hear, usually not, only press. Sometimes I hear about fans attending, but restricted to STH or some exclusive VIP perks :rolleyes:. They usually even pull the shades down over the windows so people can't look in from the street. I guess it's valid so scouts of other teams have to go through proper protocols to watch rather than spying with plain-clothes agents posing as fans.So nobody pulls a Bill Belicheat

Ahhh I see, nice to know. Thanks!

Did you just make that up?? because Lou is quoted as saying one of the reasons we brought him in is, in fact, to play well 5-on-5.

“We had an opportunity to get an experienced right shot, puck-moving defensemen, who can also quarterback a power play and has a lot of experience," Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said of the trade. "In my opinion, we had a chance to get someone who is better-suited to playing 5-on-5 and moving the puck out of the zone and jumping into the offense the way he can, with the type of forwards we have at this point."

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=618812&navid=DL|NJD|home

Five player trade with 1 pick for sure and 1 more all for Zidlicky? Lou better be right, he hasn't done that great since 2005.

Frazer and Pelley for Foster then Foster, Palmieri and Veilleux plus 2nd round pick and then a possible 3rd round pick that's a lot for one old guy with a $4M cap hit with a year to go.

Completely disagree. Look at where "the store" was at when these guys were moved. Fraser and Pelley were both not playing or barely playing. Pelley did nothing that we cant find at the draft or pick up as a FA. Fraser was never going to be anything except a sometimes decent hole filler. Veilleux was not playing in NJ and is getting old. Palmieri may end up being the big loss, but does anyone bet on him? I think he has a chance, but as of now he was playing like crap.

Yes, we get an old guy in return with a not-so-great cap hit. If he plays to his capability though, we will have won the trade unless one of the guys we jettisoned turns into a great player. We gave up quantity not quality. We still have Merril. We still have Tedenby and Josefson. The only "prospect" we gave up was technically Palmieri, except hes at the "work in progress/plateau/regress" stage.

The cap hit is the only thing that is potentially bothersome from this trade if Zidlicky doesn't pan out. The 2nd round pick is barely a sting. Its a draft pick (who knows what you get) and can be recouped via another deal before the deadline or during the draft. His age and cap hit are not great, but 35 does not mean incapable, if he plays to ability, he plays to his contract.

It seems like a lot, but what utility did any of those players have to the Devils organization? Palmieri is a risky prospect. Vellieux is a 30-year-old AHLer. And Zid is an upgrade over Foster. Lou swapped Foster for Zidlicky, through in some crap he has sitting in the basement. The picks are the most valuable part of the trade.

Edited by David Puddy

I'm not a big fan of the deal, but we really didn't give up much. Sure, it's a lot of items going the other way, but of that, maybe Palmieri has the ability to one day be anything more than a fourth liner.

Do they close the shades just for Devils practices or are they always closed during the daytime to keep the sun from shining onto the ice?