GDT: Devils @ Rangers

MadDog2020

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zubie could have helped clear out the wall of Ranger players that stood in front of Lundqvist all night. I mean I know they had a crap ton of shots... but really. Their entire defensive strategy was to make a wall in front of the Queen. White Fraser and Salvador don't do much offensive pinching... we have no size up front to get through these guys.

That's not what I wrote, though I've seen enough of Zubrus to know he's not going help much in that role either. He's offensive kryptonite.

Lou doesn't have to do it tomorrow with the cushion the Devils have built up in the division, but I'm hoping by the deadline there's someone else centering those two...the wish list has already been discussed.

those players really aren't much better than dainius zubrus. they're better, but not by much.

Zubie could have helped clear out the wall of Ranger players that stood in front of Lundqvist all night. I mean I know they had a crap ton of shots... but really. Their entire defensive strategy was to make a wall in front of the Queen. White Fraser and Salvador don't do much offensive pinching... we have no size up front to get through these guys.

I'm no Zubrus fan, but he might have helped keep the puck in the Ranger zone longer with good board work. He probably wouldn't have scored, though. There's a safe statement.

These are fair assessments of what Zubrus could bring (when he wants to). I just hope people aren't expecting much in the way of any real offensive contributions. 2nd line duty by default is a lose-lose situation for everyone involved.

those players really aren't much better than dainius zubrus. they're better, but not by much.

Koivu would be the best fit. Yeah, the others are marginally better. Key word is better.

I've said it before, but I'd love to see Zubrus firmly entrenched on the third-line as a pretty good board and body guy who occasionally chips in with a goal here and there. He does that and I'm plenty satisfied with his game.

My co-worker, who is a Rangers fan, says he is fine with that loss last night as long as Callahan NEVER dives like that again.

It was pretty obvious, and I think Callahan did it more than once last night.

As I was watching that play, my thought was "there's no way Rolston doesn't get that puck without Callahan taking a penalty" - He dove so he didn't take an interference call.

That's not what I wrote, though I've seen enough of Zubrus to know he's not going help much in that role either. He's offensive kryptonite.

Lou doesn't have to do it tomorrow with the cushion the Devils have built up in the division, but I'm hoping by the deadline there's someone else centering those two...the wish list has already been discussed.

Whose the wish list?

Brodeur even said it during the post game, there was no way there were that many shots taken on either goalie. Shot dude was jacked up on Rockstar or something. None the less Brodeur was ridiculous tonight.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/01/nj_devils_edge_ny_rangers_1-0.html

Brodeur, who has six shutouts this season, said he periodically glanced at the shots clock.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/01/nj_devils_edge_ny_rangers_1-0.html

Am I the only one reading into this as a jab at Lundqvist's numbers, implying they're inflated by overzealous MSG statkeepers?

Even Jacques chimed in.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/01/nj_devils_martin_brodeur_sets.html

One sure way to find out if the numbers are bloated would be to watch a recording and do a shot count. We know that, supposedly, Brodeur faced 51 shots and Lundqvist 45. Anybody here with spare time and nothing else to do record this?

there's a lot of talk of shot counts around the statistically inclined blogosphere - my suspicion is that with a national game, they were definitely going way up last night. on the whole, i doubt the rangers' shot counts are inflated too greatly, but then again they've been one of the worst s% teams in the last two years.

there's a lot of talk of shot counts around the statistically inclined blogosphere - my suspicion is that with a national game, they were definitely going way up last night. on the whole, i doubt the rangers' shot counts are inflated too greatly, but then again they've been one of the worst s% teams in the last two years.

And the teams hit counts seem inflated as well, so it wouldn't be surprising for the shot count to be.

Whose the wish list?

it has been discussed in various threads that a deal for saku koivu, matt stajan or eric belanger would improve the devils' center depth and move the likes of neidermayer and mccamond to 3rd or 4th line duty where they belong.

of course, it will come down to asking price. I don't think lou is going to use the "chemistry" thinking and not try to improve the team. but he's not giving up bergfors or a first round pick to get any of these guys either.

it has been discussed in various threads that a deal for saku koivu, matt stajan or eric belanger would improve the devils' center depth and move the likes of Zubrus, neidermayer and/or McAmmond to 3rd or 4th line duty where they belong.

of course, it will come down to asking price. I don't think lou is going to use the "chemistry" thinking and not try to improve the team. but he's not giving up bergfors or a first round pick to get any of these guys either.

Fixed.

But yeah, I agree that Lou isn't giving up a lot for any of those guys. If he finds the price too high, I'm guessing Jacques will try to get the best out of Zubrus, Niedermayer and McAmmond by committee, riding hot hands, some line juggling, etc. Not ideal, but if someone or more than one someone if willing to overpay to get those guys, what can Lou really do?

I'm going to assume the team got carried a way a bit by the game, and that that had something to do with the absolutely abysmal passing that went on for nearly the whole 2nd period and big parts of the rest of the game. But you simply don't seriously contend for a Cup with that many passes into skates, behind guys, and easily picked off. If anyone other than Marty is in nets last night, then the Devs get embarrassed and the game isn't that close. It was terrifically exciting to watch, but really, it shouldn't have been ;) I hope the next few games are masterful dissections of other team's defenses where the Devils win by comfortable margins rather than more of this excitement. LOL

as they all commented, torts told them to take no chances so the devils can't play their game. they just dumbed it down to a level that no one really had good enough chances.

I would take my chances against any team in the league if they wanted to adopt a similar strategy. With our forwards and Marty in net, we will win alot more than we lose.