2012 Jets Thread

Beezer34

Kind of quiet in here. Surprised by that...the Jets have done a hell of a job in recovering...three straight wins...control of their own destiny. Gotta give Rex a lot of credit...he finds a way to keep seasons from ever spiraling out of control.

So hard to figure out what will happen this week...mostly because it's so hard to figure out the Eagles. Still think the Jets finish with at least 10 wins on the season.

Agreed, even if they finish with 10 and miss, that wouldn't be a bad 'off' year though it'd be excruciating if the Giants were the ones to knock us out. The Leonard injury is incredibly bad timing again, especially with some of our defensive issues. At least the offense has looked better since Tom Moore came aboard full time.

This week won't be easy either, though it's odd the Eagles are favored this week, even with Vick back. They weren't exactly world beaters with him earlier.

Edited by NJDevs4978

JETS.png

I was so done with this team.

After the Denver game I had completely tuned out, and promised myself not to watch another game for the rest of the year. The coaching was pittiful.. the defense was ranked 12th in the league, but really looked like 30th.. and at 5-5, the team just plain sucked. I didn't want to hear/read/watch/think anything Jet related.

..I just couldn't stay away for long. :wub:

NOW, these same 5-5 Jets, look to go 9-5 this Sunday. Should they win, the victory will be their 4th in-a-row.. and with only 2 games left afterward, they'll have a strangle hold on the last AFC Wildcard spot. NOW, the Jets have Tom Moore on the staff full-time. (and my God does it show) NOW, the Jets defense ranks 5th in the NFL. For all the bull$hit I gave upper-management, in regards to losing Taylor, Ellis, Pryce, Jenkins, Thomas, etc.. BOY was I wrong! This defense-by-committee has stepped up big time. Whether it's Pitoitua, or Pouha, Wilkerson, Westerman, Maybin, whoever! They're starting to look like what *Jets defense* is supposed to look like.

Oh yeah, and then there's the supervention;

Week 12: Squeaking out a 4 point victory to the Bills, due to Stevie Johnson dropping not 1, but 2 open passes.

Week 13: Matt Cassel & Kyle Orton both injured, sets up a Tyler Palko led Chiefs on a silver plater, the following week.

Week 14: Oakland.. Cincinnati.. and Tennessee all lose.

Week 15: Tony Sparano (the only thing left that the Dolphins were playing for) is fired.

Week 16: The Giants may not even need this game. Could possibly rest some of their starters.

Week 17: *See "Week 15."

------------------------------------------------------------------

What else is there to say? It all seems to be shaping up the way 2009 did. Magical like. Storybook like. Cinderella like.

The only question now is; When will the clock strike midnight? Will it be next week, ending any chance of a playoff berth? Will it be the AFC Championships.. again? I have no idea..

..but I'm holding on tight. ;)

The Leonard injury is incredibly bad timing again.

..true, however, getting DeVito back is going to be MEGA! They had no idea what they had in Ellis before.. but the DeVito injury forced the Jets to play him. Now I drool at what this d'line is going to look like when big Mike comes back.

Plus, let's remember what we did the 8 games last season, where we didn't have Leonhard. Beating Peyton in Indy, and Brady in NE aint no easy task. I love Jimmy, but we somehow did it without him.

Edited by Beezer34

Kinda weak showing on your part Beez. I had more faith in your team than you did. Rex Ryan's bunch had shown a lot of resiliency since he took over...how could you be so quick to bury them at 5-5? I told you time and time again that the Jets had very winnable games on their schedule.

You admitted that you flat-out quit on your team at 5-5. You gave up. If they had been 3-7 or 2-8 I might have understood bailing on this season, but at 5-5?! Die-hard true-blue fans don't do that. I give the Jet fans who stuck with them and didn't throw in the towel and kept believing a lot of credit for not quitting.

Kind of quiet in here. Surprised by that...the Jets have done a hell of a job in recovering...three straight wins...control of their own destiny. Gotta give Rex a lot of credit...he finds a way to keep seasons from ever spiraling out of control.

So hard to figure out what will happen this week...mostly because it's so hard to figure out the Eagles. Still think the Jets finish with at least 10 wins on the season.

10 wins WON'T get us into the playoffs..

..maybe not. But like NJD4978 said: a 10 win-missed-postseason, isn't really that bad an off year when you think about it. :noclue:

I mean, you can't make the playoffs every year right? If you're going to miss it, you might as well miss it with some level of respectability. Besides, when you look at the body of work the "Rex/Revis/Sanchez" era has ushered in, you really can't complain as a fan.

Assuming the Jets maintain their statistical ranking(s), and miss the playoffs with 10 wins.. the 3 year progress report for this administration would look something like this;

*4-2 Playoff Record.

*30 Regular Season Wins

*2 Playoff Appearances.

*2 AFC Championship Games.

-----------------------------

*1st Ranked Defense in 2009.

*3rd Ranked Defense in 2010.

*5th Ranked Defense in 2011.

..that's an average of 2 playoff games.. 10 wins.. Top 5 defense.. per season. With the upside of knowing your head coach is 49, your quarterback is 25, and your MVP player is still only 26.

Maybe it's rose colored glasses, but how can't you look at the future as being anything but bright if you're a fan?

Edited by Beezer34

The 7, 8, and 9 seed teams all have 7 wins right now...none of them can win more than 10 games, and they'd all have to win out for that to happen. I wouldn't count on that. I'm not sure how all of the tiebreakers would shake out either...I know the Raiders and Broncos have them in the head-to-head, but one of those teams is going to win their division, so it's not like the Jets would have to break the tie with both teams. I'm not sure how it would break down with the Titans or Bengals. Still too early to say.

10 wins isn't a sure thing either way as far as getting in or not making it for the Jets. But they're very much alive and in control of their destiny. It's funny though...I can see them going anywhere from 3-0 to 1-2 over these last three...I think they'll beat Miami handily, but the Eagles and Giants are the games I can't get a read on (FWIW, I think having the Giant game as a home game is a nice bonus). I fully expected the Jets to win these past three games, and I thought they'd beat Buffalo twice.

Can't agree with Beez that the Jets missing the playoffs with 10 wins wouldn't be a bad thing. Yeah, the key cogs are young, but the Jets could clearly make some noise come playoff time...they've risen up in the playoffs the last two seasons, and even though they'd be on the road again, they've shown that playing road games against higher seeds doesn't phase them at all. It would clearly be a lost opportunity if they didn't make it in. But it's hard to argue that more opportunities won't be awaiting them in the seasons to come. Sanchez's numbers have improved for the third straight year, and are becoming more respectable, even if he doesn't rack up huge yards.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The turnovers Holmes caused early just made the celebration penalty on his touchdown seem pitiful.

Our great 'captain' showed why the Steelers took a fifth-round pick to dump him with his utter nonsense today.

He single-handedly lost the game for us today. Simple as that.

I am completely disgusted with his antics. He is a buffoon and a clown. I know all WR's are diva's, but he's a Grade-A JERK, in every sense of the word. I'm actually astonished that Holmes has 600, of Sanchez's 3,000 yrds this season. I wonder if the Jets rethink their offseason strategy now, after chasing the ghost that was Nnamdi.. and seemingly offering Santonio a kings ransom. They gave away Brad Smith, Jerricho Cotchery, and Braylon Edwards.. for Jeremy Kerley, (who has all of 18 receptions) Derrick Mason, (who's not even here) and Plaxico Burress. (the best of the bunch) Patrick Turner has shown more discipline and poise, than that of Holmes.

It is amazing to me that Sanchez is going to finish the season with over 30 total touchdowns. For all the bullsh!t that the media likes to throw at him.. they should pin a fvcking medal on Mark after this year, to do what he's done with the garbage he has to work with. Keller has vanished this season.. LT has shown little.. and Schottenheimer looks more and more lost, everytime the camera pans his direction.

At 25 years old (and with only 2 full years under his belt) I am actually very pleased with where Sanchez is this season. Regardless of what happens, he can only grow from a year like this.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Miraculously, we still have our playoff hopes alive.. thanks to a week where (once again) we received benevolence from above. With Denver, Oakland, Tennessee all losing, the Jets somehow still have control over their own destiny. Despite the fact that the Bengals won, the Jets have the same conference record, and overall record with Cincinnati. They've never played eachother head-to-head.. therefore the tiebreaker between the two is; "Strength of Victory" ..where the Jets have an incredible 10 game lead on the Bengals. If the Jets/Bengals run the table.. the Jets get in. If the Jets/Bengals split.. the Jets get in. Theoretically, the Jets could even make the playoffs with an 8-8 record. (although, who the hell would even want to get in, if that happens?)

Either way, this teams heart is going to be tested over these next 2 weeks. And the way things looked today, I have no idea which Jets team is going to show up. :noclue:

It doesn't matter what your record is to get into the playoffs. Just get there. Everyone's 0-0 once the playoffs start, and gaudy regular-season W-L records don't mean much. Home field isn't the slamdunk it once was either.

Jets are one of those teams that can beat anyone any given day, or lose to anyone any given day. It's fitting they would make it as a wild-card, because that's what they are...a true wild-card in every sense.

It doesn't matter what your record is to get into the playoffs. Just get there. Everyone's 0-0 once the playoffs start, and gaudy regular-season W-L records don't mean much. Home field isn't the slamdunk it once was either.

Jets are one of those teams that can beat anyone any given day, or lose to anyone any given day. It's fitting they would make it as a wild-card, because that's what they are...a true wild-card in every sense.

The Jets are definitely the proverbial box of chocolates.

Good god, this might be the ugliest single quarter of football I've ever seen. And yet somehow the Jets still have a chance, though they're 92 yards away with two timeouts and 2:24 left. I doubt the offense gets half that though, with how inept they've looked.

OMG, a safety...perfect ending. Sanchez was a bum today. So was pretty much the entire team outside of Revis.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It's easy enough to say Revis should have been on Cruz instead, especially with Nicks hurt.

But yeah the great Schotty ran away from the run again and I don't get why. It's not like he's got Tom Brady under center, at least you sort of understand when the Pats or Packers or Saints go overboard throwing the ball, but the Jets?! When it was a one-score game for the better part of three quarters?! And they could have run the ball when they got it on the 50 with like five minutes left and didn't do it then.

Just a bad game all around, Schotty, Sanchez and the whole offense in particular. Wilson and Cromartie didn't exactly distinguish themselves either.

If the Jets kept running the ball they would have been fine.

I think somebody decided that we had to play to the Giants "weakness" in the secondary. But all I saw Mark Sanchez scrambling around, holding the ball too long, and getting plopped. The safety at the end was like summary of what had been happening for 3 quarters.

I think somebody decided that we had to play to the Giants "weakness" in the secondary. But all I saw Mark Sanchez scrambling around, holding the ball too long, and getting plopped. The safety at the end was like summary of what had been happening for 3 quarters.

They made that same mistake the first time they played the Pats, you'd think they would have learned from that.

Braylon's tweet says he's injured, but I'm calling bullsh!t. Braylon's not injured, he's just playing hurt. He lost his playing time because the offense in SF, was said to be "too complicated for him to learn".. and now he's playing up his phantom injury(s) to save face. He's got 15 catches in 9 games! Where was he when he was healthy? :unsure:

With that said, I STILL believe he can be a gigantic asset for the right team.. and the right team is in New York.

Rex knows how to coach Edwards, and the chemistry he and Sanchez had between 2009 & 2010, was arguably the best he had in his career. I could actually see the Jets even putting in a claim for him either today or tomorrow, in a pump-up job "shot in the arm" type signing, as they head into Miami. Not to mention.. it would show good faith on our part, to start the talks between Braylon's camp sooner than the off-season. By claiming him, we have first dibs to sign him for next year.. while being able to monitor his condition as he rehabs.

Plus if (by some miracle) we do make the playoffs.. Plaxico, Braylon, and Santonio would be tough to stop.

It is rather remarkable though that: Brad Smith, Jerricho Cotchery, Derrick Mason, and Braylon Edwards have combined for 2 touchdowns this season. :mellow:

I am more confident in the Jets getting the help they need than I am about the Jets beating Miami.

You know, it's funny, when you list everything that needs to happen for the Jets to get in, it seems like a lot at first glance...until you realize that Tennesee, Denver and Oakland are hardly locks to win their games, and Cincinnati has a tough opponent in Baltimore (who is playing for seeding). But like you say, Miami is playing tough (I saw it first-hand last week), and will be up for this game.