The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

Last year Chere wrote the same article and we bought out Hedberg. To his credit he probably didn't see the trade with Vancouver happening which forced the buyout.

The word 'unlikely' came from Lou's mouth... Twice. Unless he has a trade lined up, this makes no sense. Edited by MadDog2020

Lmfao, Lou's got jokes. Awesome, I hope they announce which game soon. Don't wanna miss that one.

And to Chico's credit (and not at all surprising), he's had a sense of humor about it forever:

http://articles.philly.com/1986-03-13/entertainment/26083303_1_hair-salon-training-camp

I'm not surprised Lou isn't going to use one of his last buyouts on Volch or Sal. I'm going to be even less surprised when Lou brings back all of CBGB. Bringing back Marty wouldn't be a ll that surprising too. The least surprising will be when Lou drafts a defender with the 30th pick this year.

Projected opening day defensive group:

Greene-Merrill

Harrold-Volchenkov

Salvador-Zidlicky

Larsson

If Larsson isn't in the top 4 this year with consistency because of Sal/Volch/Harrold, I may lose my mind. Edited by MadDog2020

The word 'unlikely' came from Lou's mouth... Twice. Unless he has a trade lined up, this makes no sense.

Lou's never been one to say anything terribly revealing in interviews.  He's always been a pretty lousy quote. 

That being said, I really hope this team isn't coming back close to 100% intact.  Yeah, the overall goaltending should be better than last season, which theoretically suggests that the team should be a low playoff seed if the team performs to about last year's level, but betting on and hoping for that is a risky move to me.  I'm not expecting wholesale changes by any stretch, but I think the "if this guy does this, and that guy does that, then maybe this..." way to approach the coming season is a sh!tty way to go about this (to be fair, I'm not saying that Lou will do this...we have really nothing to go on yet).  I'm a Met fan, and that's how they've been assembling teams for years (with no success).    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

per chere twitter - lou unlikely to use any buyouts and marty moving on

If no trades are in the works then this will be a repeat of last year. If we have Sal, Volchenkov, and the CBGB line all back for 2014, the only thing we're missing now is signing Brian Gionta at 5.5 million for 3 years.

If no trades are in the works then this will be a repeat of last year. If we have Sal, Volchenkov, and the CBGB line all back for 2014, the only thing we're missing now is signing Brian Gionta at 5.5 million for 3 years.

If all the above happens, then Lou may not have jumped the shark just yet, but he's squeezing his feet into his skis and the boat driver's got his key in the ignition. 

Lou's never been one to say anything terribly revealing in interviews. He's always been a pretty lousy quote.

That being said, I really hope this team isn't coming back close to 100% intact. Yeah, the overall goaltending should be better than last season, which theoretically suggests that the team should be a low playoff seed if the team performs to about last year's level, but betting on and hoping for that is a risky move to me. I'm not expecting wholesale changes by any stretch, but I think the "if this guy does this, and that guy does that, then maybe this..." way to approach the coming season is a sh!tty way to go about this (to be fair, I'm not saying that Lou will do this...we have really have nothing to go on yet). I'm a Met fan, and that's how they've been assembling teams for years (with no success).

I just can't take another year of the 8 defensemen carousel CR. I can't. Enough is enough... Larsson and Gelinas need TO PLAY. Period. And the fact that we have ANYTHING in common with the fvcking Mets when it comes to team-building is enough to scare the sh!t out of me on its own.

I just can't take another year of the 8 defensemen carousel CR. I can't. Enough is enough... Larsson and Gelinas need TO PLAY. Period. And the fact that we have ANYTHING in common with the fvcking Mets when it comes to team-building is enough to scare the sh!t out of me on its own.

I agree. We either need to let Fayne go(which I would prefer we didn't), buy out Volch or trade someone. If Larsson isn't playing almost every game this season, I think we can write him off as a bust because he won't be getting any better by watching games in the stands. I want to see Gelinas playing regularly too. If he needs to be protected a bit at times, so be it, but we should be trying to get him used to playing against tougher opponents and if it starts looking like he's not going to put that side of his game together, we need to try to trade him while some GMs might still just see his stats and be impressed by his point totals.

We're not there yet.  For now, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach, and let's face it, if Lou signs Cory to a reasonable long-term extension and gets a solid backup goalie, those will feel like major victories.  But yeah, if his offseason basically consists of re-signing Cory, Jagr and Zidlicky, finding a backup goalie, and some inside-the-box Lou moves (like bringing back the entire CBGB line and signing Brian Gionta), with Sal and Volchenkov both still being here, I can't say I'm going to be thrilled about that. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

i'm not ready to say that this means everything stays as is. i'm also not ready to say that a buyout isn't happening. trades at the draft can make things change on a dime.

this may be a bit of hardball in the press for fayne's sake. this may mean that trades are afoot - something i very much believe is in the works somewhere. there is nobody on the 8 that can go to the minors other than merrill and that's not going to happen. with that in mind, if there are no buyouts, a trade has to happen.

as for CBGB coming back in its entirety, i just can't see that happening either - not without someone like bernier accepting a PTO in a wait and see type situation.

this team was bad at scoring goals and that's with jagr having an excellent season and henrique scoring at what is likely his high water mark of his career in goals. there is nobody on this team that should be EXPECTED to have some sort of bounce back or increased scoring role. perhaps clowe if he stays healthy all year which i don't think there is more than a 10% chance of. I would take the under of 60GP for him this year (yes, it's a bet if you want it tri). i don't think lou can pencil in boucher as the new forward that's going to bring scoring - that is just not something you can count on.

I disagree with all negative sentiments on here.  You have no idea what's in the works.  I have no evidence to support his, but I think Sal might retire.  I watched the 2014 Break-up day where reporters talked to him and he specifically stated that he can't skate with his nagging groin and foot injuries.  That is very much a possibility, maybe with some encouragement from a George Steinbrunner signed baseball bat that Lou keeps under his desk. :uni: 

"Hey Bryce, come on in and sit down!" 

We can deal with one of Salvador or Volchenkov.  As for the forward corps, we can expect a new face or two, but its sink or swim time for the young forwards on the team not named Henrique.  The Devils have looked towards youth in the past and I expect the younger players to really step up.  No-one has mentioned the abundance of cap space the Devils have this offseason either.  There is plenty of time and space to make moves.  Stop freaking out.

So we have no problem creating space to get rod pelley in the lineup but we can't 3 seasons now for a guy drafted 4th overall. This sh!t makes me crazy. Maybe a trade is in the works, but who the hell wants one of our sh!tty defensemen? No one. If someone gets traded it sure as hell isn't going to be sal or volch.