2012 Devils Prospect Camp

thefiestygoat

I figured it was time to get this thread started with camp opening up tomorrow. I expect all of the CHL guys to be there as well as some of the prospects in Albany and the ECHL. Jon Merrill is the only NCAA prospect that I have seen that is coming so far. Remember those kids have to pay their own way to get to NJ and live here for a week so its common for a lot of them not to make it for financial reasons or so they can attend summer classes. I imagine all of the recent draftees will be in attendance. The roster hasn't been announced yet but I have found 4 free agents that will be attending.

FA Invites (Info from EliteProspects)

Marcello Ranallo (25) F 5'11 185 L

Native of Burnaby, British Columbia who just completed his 4 year college career at UConn after parts of 3+ seasons in the BCHL. His highest offensive production came in his freshman year (6-16-22 in 37). It appears he was more of a role player at UConn playing in over 35 games a year but only cracking the 20 point total once. His stats for his college career (18-47-65 0.44 PPG 107 PIM -36 in 148).

Source:

Goodlck to @mr_cello20 attending @NHLDevils camp this week! Rip it up #forthepeasants @extreme_hockey. Say hi to the jersey shore cast !!

— Carlo Finucci (@nucci39)

July 14, 2012

J.T. Barnett (19) LW 6'1 190 L

Native of Scottsdale, Arizona who attended the Devils prospect camp last year. Just finished his 4th year in the WHL most recently for the Everett Silvertips after time with the Vancouver Giants and Kamloops Blazers. His WHL stats (43-61-104 0.48 PPG 93 PIM -29 in 217).

Source: https://twitter.com/GrahamBlack9/status/224347797170814977

Jack Berger (21) F 6'3 209 R

Native of St. Louis, Missouri who is entering his junior season at Princeton. Prior to his college career he spent a season with Des Moines in the USHL. More than doubled his offensive production in his sophomore year (10-12-22) compared to his freshman year (2-7-9) in the same number of games (32). He will be the team captain for this upcoming season. College stats so far (12-19-31 0.48 PPG 27 PIM -8 in 64).

Source: http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10600&ATCLID=205498513

Mike Ambrosia (20) F 5'10 170 L

A local kid from Chatham, New Jersey who is a product of Delbarton who will be entering his freshman season with Princeton after two seasons with Youngstown in the uSHL where he served as captain last year. He led Youngstown in points and assists last season. His USHL stats (28-65-93 0.78 PPG 116 PIM +9 in 120).

Source: http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10600&ATCLID=205502181

Goaltenders

35. KEITH KINKAID

50. MAXIME CLERMONT

60. SCOTT WEDGEWOOD

65. CHRIS RAWLINGS

Skaters

33. D SETH HELGESON

34. D JON MERRILL

36. D JOE FAUST

37. D ERIC GELINAS

38. D BRANDON BURLON

39. D DAN KELLY

41. D HARRY YOUNG

42. D CORBIN McPHERSON

43. C KELLY ZAJAC

44. D REECE SCARLETT

46. C DAVID WOHLBERG

47. F KEVIN GOUMAS

48. C GRAHAM BLACK

49. F JACK BERGER

51. D MATT KILLIAN

52. LW STEFAN MATTEAU

53. LW PETER McMULLEN

54. D DAMON SEVERSON

55. LW MIKE HOEFFEL

56. RW MIKE SISLO

57. LW BEN THOMSON

58. RW JOE WHITNEY

59. LW REID BOUCHER

61. C DARCY ZAJAC

62. LW J.T. BARNETT

63. C BEN JOHNSON

64. C BLAKE COLEMAN

66. LW JEAN-SEBASTIEN BERUBE

67. F MICHAEL AMBROSIA

68. RW DAVID FRIEDMANN

72. LW MARCELLO RANALLO

76. RW BRYAN HACZYK

Quick thoughts on the roster:

- The only NCAA prospects not in attendance are Curtis Gedig (D Ohio St), Derek Rodwell (LW North Dakota), and Blake Pietila (LW Michigan Tech).

- The only 2012 picks not in attendance are Alex Kerfoot © and Artur Gavrus (LW/C Owen Sound).

- There are 5 free agents attending camp in addition to the 4 I talked about earlier in the thread (David Friedmann, Peter McMullen, Matt Killian, Kevin Goumas, Chris Rawlings). I'll get some info on them in a few minutes.

McMullen is John McMullen's grandson, clearly a favor to that family, as he appears to have no chance to become a professional hockey player. Freidmann is intriguing, a 2nd tier junior player, wonder if he's college-bound or what.

All in all, can't take too much out of this camp, the level of player doesn't seem too high. Merrill should dominate.

2012 Devils Prospect Camp

FA Invites (Info from EliteProspects)

Chris Rawlings (23) G 6'5 207 L

From North Delta, British Columbia, Rawlings is entering his senior season at Northeastern University. Prior to his college career he spent 4 seasons in the BCHL. He's always maintained a GAA of 2.83 or lower and a SV% of .913 or higher in his college career. Made the Hockey East All-Rookie team in 2009-10. His overall numbers for his NCAA time (34-33-12-9 2.66 GAA .920 SV% according to the Northeastern website).

Kevin Goumas (20) F 5'9 150 L

From the hockey hotbed of Lake Worth, Florida and currently entering his junior season at the University of New Hampshire after spending a year for Indiana in the USHL. His offensive production jumped from his freshman year of (6-12-18 in 32) to his sophomore year of (9-25-34 in 36). His total NCAA stats thus far are (15-37-52 0.76 PPG 81 PIM +18 in 68).

Matt Killian (19) D 6'1 201 L

Another local kid from Basking Ridge, New Jersey who is entering his sophomore year at Yale University after some time with Delbarton a few years ago. He put up a 1-5-6 12 PIM -3 line in 31 games as a freshman. He attended the Devils prospect camp last year. Here is a In Lou We Trust profile on him from 2011.

Peter McMullen (19) LW 6'2 201 L

A familiar name to Devils fans, he comes from Livingston, New Jersey and was also in attendance at the prospect camp last year. He is the 3rd Delbarton alum to be at the camp this year and is about to enter his freshman year at Boston College after splitting last year inbetween Vernon and Langley in the BCHL where he put up a 6-9-15 19 PIM line in 44 games. Here is another In Lou We Trust profile on him from 2011.

David Friedmann (19) RW 5'11 185 L

From Toronto, Ontario and about to enter his freshman season at Robert Morris University after spending the past two years in the OJHL where his total stats are (44-66-110 1.24 PPG 103 PIM in 89).

Quick thoughts on the roster:

- The only NCAA prospects not in attendance are Curtis Gedig (D Ohio St), Derek Rodwell (LW North Dakota), and Blake Pietila (LW Michigan Tech).

- The only 2012 picks not in attendance are Alex Kerfoot © and Artur Gavrus (LW/C Owen Sound).

- There are 5 free agents attending camp in addition to the 4 I talked about earlier in the thread (David Friedmann, Peter McMullen, Matt Killian, Kevin Goumas, Chris Rawlings). I'll get some info on them in a few minutes.

Any word on why they are not attending??

First session underway today:

The first session of the Devils’ development camp is under way this morning at Prudential Center.

Albany head coach Rick Kowalsky is running things with the assistance of special assignment coach Scott Stevens, former Devil Sergei Brylin and goaltending coaches Chris Terreri and Jacques Caron.

Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said no decisions have been made yet on the openings on the NHL coaching staff created by the depatures of assistants Adam Oates (head coach in Washington) and Larry Robinson (assistant coach in San Jose), but he expects the staff to be completed by the end of the week.

When I asked if Brylin is a candidate to be an assistant coach, Lamoriello replied “we’ll see.”

This is the third time Brylin has helped out at the development camp. He played the last four seasons in Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League.

Head coach Pete DeBoer and assistant Dave Barr are not here.

DSC00164.JPG

Fire & Ice

I find Lou's Comments on Brylin interesting. Normally he says nothing. saying "We'll see" is almost as goo as confirming he has the job IMO.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

I find Lou's Comments on Brylin interesting. Normally he says nothing. saying "We'll see" is almost as goo as confirming he has the job IMO.

IDK when it comes to Brylin the past few seasons, Lou has answered with similar responses to the one today. I expect as soon as Brylin tells Lou he's done playing, he'll be brought on in some sort of assistant role.

Any word on why they are not attending??

I haven't seen anything but perhaps Gavrus is still recovering from his 2nd concussion from last year and maybe Kerfoot is actively visiting colleges to choose which one he is going to or he couldn't pay his way to NJ. That is my speculation.

Thanks for the link, can't wait to check this out later!