GDT: Devils @ Flyers 3/13/12

lazer

A few thoughts after watching tonight's game:

1) The Devils better hope to sweet Lord Satan that they don't have to face Bryzgalov in the postseason. They all turn into Jeff Friesen in front of him, it seems.

2) Scottie Hartnell is a piece of sh!t. His intents-to-injure Brodeur goal-crashing escapades should be reviewed by the league.

3) Eric Boulton isn't an NHL player, and he's dumb as a fvcking rock, to boot. Hopefully whatever he did in the last minute of the game earns him a 10 game suspension so I don't have to see him do something fvcking stupid again this year as we jockey for our playoff position. Ryan Carter's dumb penalties are enough for one team.

4) For some reason, the Devils go through a 4-5 game cycle where they forget to shoot the puck. The over-passing tonight was maddening, and it was capped by when a Parise->Henrique->Kovalchuk->Salvador series ended in -- surprisingly -- nothing.

5) Add me to the list of the non-superstitious hoping for the 6th seed.

6) Marty Brodeur has completely turned his game around after the All Star break. He's been straddling "very good" and "great" for a while now. Get Real must be furious.

I'm not mad, just disappointed.. The Flyers came out and played their typical game, and it was like we had no idea the sh!t they were gonna do

The Flyers:

- Play a very aggressive PK. You won't have much time with the puck so get it on net and crash

- Will agitate to draw penalties. Don't be an idiot

- Will finish their checks and then some. How about trying to do the same? Fine, don't, but you can't be mad about it after and then take a dumb penalty

- Throw pucks at the center of the zone and at the net before crashing for rebounds. We beat this team when we prevent both of these.

They are who we thought they were!! So why we came out and seemed shocked by their style is beyond me..

First game all season I had to stop watching (an you know how positive I am about this team), not because we were losing, but because we didn't look ready to face a system that we've seen for 2+ seasons

WOW. Guess what the top story is on NHL.com?

Hahahaha you think it would be the top story if Broduer shut out the Flyers?

So ridiculous. It takes the writers about an hour after the game to put anything on there about the Devils. 5 minutes later it's about another team beating us.

http://www.nhl.com/

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

Why does no one stick up for Kovy after he got speared in the stomach? There was no team out there today.

Who was going to do that? The guy went to the bench. Volchenkov tried to take his head off later.

Not a good game, but the Devils have played a lot of games lately and were due for a bad one. At least Brodeur played well - something to take away.

Since upsizing his pads, it seems like Marty is incorporating more butterfly into his game, and doing it effectively. It's a good crutch for a hybrid goalie whose skills have diminished accordingly with age. This might extend his career.

• Like 1

Why does no one stick up for Kovy after he got speared in the stomach? There was no team out there today.

Why didn't Kovy stick up for Kovy? He's dropped the gloves before. He should do it again.

The bigger question is why didn't anyone "show-up".

• Like 1

fvck it. Flush it and move on.

Yeah, pretty much. One of those nights. And the Flyers aren't slouches.

The one thing that worries me about this team come playoff time is how much they'll produce offensively...they've been shut out in 3 of the last nine games, and were nearly shutout in the Islander game. As we've also seen, they can score (3+ goals in five out of their last nine). I just can't get a good read on them...sometimes it doesn't seem like it's terribly hard to shut them down, but then they'll pop in 3 or 4 the next game. I'm really hoping the 25+ crowd of Elias, Clarkson, Parise and Kovy can keep up what they're doing come playoff time, and others can continue to sprinkle in goals here and there, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Devils went out in the first round with, say, 8 or 9 goals scored in 6 games or something like that (with Clarkson going near pointless).

Having said that, just the fact that they're GOING to the playoffs is awesome...can't have these "what if" discussions about the playoffs if they're not going!

Why didn't Kovy stick up for Kovy? He's dropped the gloves before. He should do it again.

You're seriously concerned about 'one' no-show performance at the tail end of an eight in thirteen stretch where they won five out of the last six (four against the Rangers, Isles and Flyers) and are like fifteen points ahead of a playoff spot now?

It would be nice if they scored on Bryzgalov sometime before the end of this decade, but we probably won't have to worry about that in the first round anyway.

Stick to jersey talk.

They're 5-2-1 so far in what looked to be a tough month. They've solidified their playoff berth. They've "showed up" a hell of lot more often than not...sometimes teams execute their gameplans better than do their opponents on any given night. Geez.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The boys have played a lot of "clutch" games lately. They were due for a stinker. Last night was it. Philly did a great job of filling the passing lanes but our D really sucked. They held and held the puck and would finally just send it around the boards. On the PP they tried too hard to find Kovy instead of shooting it themselves. We're just lucky it wasn't a 6 or 7-0 game. That would've taken a lot of wind out of our sails. And we need to buck up this week. It's a tough week on the schedule.

It's more of the fact that WE as a TEAM don't let rookie punks like Couturier going around spearing one of our players, one of our All-Star players. Of course, after he spears Kovy he runs onto the bench like a fvcking bitch, but the next time he stepped on the ice, a message should have been sent. I can't stand that when we lose, we lose all intensity and let them rick roll us with cheapshots and hard hits on the boards.

• Like 2

Who was going to do that? The guy went to the bench. Volchenkov tried to take his head off later.

Not a good game, but the Devils have played a lot of games lately and were due for a bad one. At least Brodeur played well - something to take away.

I guess my idea of retaliation is different, if kovy is speared, I go after claudie boy. I agree the goon fighting is getting old when its so choreographed , but you still need a strong man to step into a hartnell type if they start acting up

anyway, I'm not letting one bad game swing my enthusiasm, we've beaten philly before and they're not perfect