142 replies to this topic

#21 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,410 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

Does your own manta-vision blind you to the insane things you spit out on a keyboard even?

I said "perhaps" I never said they were, which you kept spouting out in several other threads.

I
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#22 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

I said "perhaps" I never said they were, which you kept spouting out in several other threads.

Even trying to put them in the CONVERSATION is a gross distortion of embarrassing proportion :P
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#23 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

It was orgasmic to watch Andrew Luck last night beat up on VT. This guy looks like the real deal. Just declare please and the future will be bright in Carolina for years. And whoever gets Harbaugh is getting one hell of a coach.

If Harbaugh stays, Luck stays, and they go for a Nat'l Championship. Bradford stayed, got hurt, and still went #1. There's precedence.

Rich Rod was just fired, and I imagine they're going to go harder than any program has ever had to get Jim.

If I'm Harbaugh, I call Pat Bowlen, tell him I'm interested, and take the Broncos job.

#24 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,046 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

Broncos would trade Orton for 2nd Rounder

GTF on the phone, Ireland!

re: Carolina, I agree whole-heartedly with you Scott, but what happens if the Bills or Cards give you a Herschel Walker package of picks? The Car defense is bad (don't be fooled by 18th against the pass, that was teams backing off and running the clock in the second half), and their pass game is bad too (dead last). The only thing they do OK is run (12th in yds/g). They could "turn it around" with Luck or Mallett, but they still can't stop...well, anyone. Their division is way too stacked at this time.

The Panthers have some great players on defense. fvck statistics. Their defense was stuck on the field all game because Clausen would go 3 and out every time. Turnovers also left them deep in their own territory all year. They badly need some DTs. That is what was so shocking on a John Fox coached team. The guy always stressed domination on the offensive and defensive line, but for the last two years had no answers after they traded Jenkins. Thomas Davis is an elite LB and will hopefully be healthy next year. They are bad against the pass because they don't blitz and can't get much pressure with 4 lineman. It's dumb. Give a QB all day, and he'll find a receiver.

This team is as good as a 2-14 team can be. This is just a QB driven league and the Panthers unfortunately had the worst in the league with Clausen. Look what happened to the Cards without Warner. The Panthers would be so dumb not to draft Luck. They have a lot of talent and don't need to trade the pick to fill 5 holes. They need this stud QB. Andrew Luck is the full package.

Edited by devilsrule33, 04 January 2011 - 05:11 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#25 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

The Panthers have some great players on defense. fvck statistics. Their defense was stuck on the field all game because Clausen would go 3 and out every time. Turnovers also left them deep in their own territory all year. They badly need some DTs. That is what was so shocking on a John Fox coached team. The guy always stressed domination on the offensive and defensive line, but for the last two years had no answers after they traded Jenkins. Thomas Davis is an elite LB and will hopefully be healthy next year. They are bad against the pass because they don't blitz and can't get much pressure with 4 lineman. It's dumb. Give a QB all day, and he'll find a receiver.

This team is as good as a 2-14 team can be. This is just a QB driven league and the Panthers unfortunately had the worst in the league with Clausen. Look what happened to the Cards without Warner. The Panthers would be so dumb not to draft Luck. They have a lot of talent and don't need to trade the pick to fill 5 holes. They need this stud QB. Andrew Luck is the full package.

When I was browsing stats trying to figure out who in the bloody blue hell I should make defensive player of the year, I noticed this guy:

7 Charles Johnson CAR DE
51 tackles 11 assists 11.5 sacks

Gotta admit... I was surprised to see him 7th in the league in sacks.... I'd say that replaces Peppers nicely, that was a BIG step, and averaging almost 2 turnovers a game is better then I'd have expected, even the -8 in turnover ratio.....

18th in yards per game isn't awful with that 3 n out offense they had.....25th in points allowed... not so good, but like ya said... put that on the offense NOT helping, to support that you have they saw the 5th most snaps on defense in the league, and only Denver allowed more TDs (Jesus help me I'm having a Triumph moment here.. CMON SABREMETRICS!!)

But still 12.2 points a game (and a 30% 3rd down conversions rate :blink: ) on a team with DeAngelo, Stewart, Goodson and Steve Smith is damn near CRIMINAL, that points more and more to they need a QB like the world depended on it!

Take a look at the stats on NFL.com, it's kinda cool the stuff you can dig up!

Edited by CRASHER, 04 January 2011 - 07:35 PM.

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

#26 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:53 PM

Update, Cable officially OUT with the Raiders.....Al Davis someone needs to take you in the back and shoot you in the head :P

(source was ESPN ticker BTW)

#27 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,277 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:24 AM

Who says that hasn't happened? I'm not entirely convinced Al isn't like the guy from Weekend at Bernie's at this point, the last time I saw him lucid in public was when he was slandering Kiffin in the media (who knew that was the one thing in the last ten years he was right about? :lol:).
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#28 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:49 AM

This is true, but you gotta wonder even for an undead this is pretty fracking stupid I tell ya!!

#29 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:20 AM

Dolphins talking to Jim Harbaugh as possible candidate for the head coaching job....not sure if that's a good mix (or that Harbaugh is ready for the NFL)

Personally I think he should take the Michigan job (it's probably a better fit and I wanna see him prove himself under some pressure before he jumps to the pros)

#30 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,410 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:21 AM

Dolphins talking to Jim Harbaugh as possible candidate for the head coaching job....not sure if that's a good mix (or that Harbaugh is ready for the NFL)

Personally I think he should take the Michigan job (it's probably a better fit and I wanna see him prove himself under some pressure before he jumps to the pros)

Dolphins will try an woo him, but San Fran is probably the most likely scenario.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#31 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

Broncos would trade Orton for 2nd Rounder

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trent Edwards Ultra for a 2nd rounder? Keep dreaming Denver!!

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#32 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,046 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

Sorry Crasher. You are very wrong. Jim Harbaugh is ready for the NFL. He's a hell of a coach. And why would he go to Michigan when he is probably the most sought-after coach in NFL history. 4-5 teams are bidding for his services. No reason to fix the mess in Michigan.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#33 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,277 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

lol he's a lot better than Trent and a bit more proven than Kevin Kolb (who was bad most of the time this year he was in). He might actually make the difference for a team like the Niners or Cards, who have offensive weapons but no NFL QB's anywhere to be found, except on Dancing With the Stars :P
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#34 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

I couldn't even get a 2nd for Edwards in madden 11 :P

(I did trade Orton for Bradford and a 1st though :evil: )

Sorry Crasher. You are very wrong. Jim Harbaugh is ready for the NFL. He's a hell of a coach. And why would he go to Michigan when he is probably the most sought-after coach in NFL history. 4-5 teams are bidding for his services. No reason to fix the mess in Michigan.

I just think the jump from a small school like Stamford to the NFL is a BIG jump.....obv. if he goes to Carolina with Luck it might be a better mix.... and the mess on some of the NFL teams that want him is any better?

#35 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

(Via NFL Network)
Vince Young to be traded or cut by the Titans....GODDAMMIT!!!! :rant: :rant: :rant::ECW::burn:

#36 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

I couldn't even get a 2nd for Edwards in madden 11 :P

(I did trade Orton for Bradford and a 1st though :evil: )

I just think the jump from a small school like Stamford to the NFL is a BIG jump.....obv. if he goes to Carolina with Luck it might be a better mix.... and the mess on some of the NFL teams that want him is any better?

StaNford.

Its only a small school in comparison to say Pac-10 public schools like UCLA or Oregon based on enrollment alone, but its still a BCS/major conference school in one of the top 3 recruiting grounds (California) in the country (behind Texas and Florida). He's also done it with a school that has VERY HIGH admission standards meaning he can't compete (recruiting wise) constantly with the likes of USC, Florida, Ohio State and Texas etc. because their admission standards aren't as stringent, yet has proven he can get them to be competitive on the field. Stanford was a laughingstock for years in the Pac-10 until he got there and were 1-11 the year before he arrived. The fact that he's done what he's done with Stanford is testament to his ability moreso than if he was coming from a huge school. Once his own recruits were upperclassmen and getting the majority of the playing time, Stanford has been a tough win for any school.

He started at San Diego University (not even a Division 1 program) and turned them around and has turned Stanford around as well in short order. Stanford had never even sniffed the top 10 in recent memory until he got there.

He's also not a neophyte to the NFL. He played for years, his brother is one of the better coaches in the league currently, and he's already shown thats where he wants to coach.

If any coach in the NCAA is capable of coaching in the NFL right now, its Harbaugh and he's probably the only one that could make the jump and be relatively succesful immediately.

Edited by ghdi, 05 January 2011 - 08:08 PM.

#37 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:12 PM

StaNford.

Its only a small school in comparison to say Pac-10 public schools like UCLA or Oregon based on enrollment alone, but its still a BCS/major conference school in one of the top 3 recruiting grounds (California) in the country (behind Texas and Florida). He's also done it with a school that has VERY HIGH admission standards meaning he can't compete (recruiting wise) constantly with the likes of USC, Florida, Ohio State and Texas etc. because their admission standards aren't as stringent, yet has proven he can get them to be competitive on the field. Stanford was a laughingstock for years in the Pac-10 until he got there and were 1-11 the year before he arrived. The fact that he's done what he's done with Stanford is testament to his ability moreso than if he was coming from a huge school. Once his own recruits were upperclassmen and getting the majority of the playing time, Stanford has been a tough win for any school.

He started at San Diego University (not even a Division 1 program) and turned them around and has turned Stanford around as well in short order. Stanford had never even sniffed the top 10 in recent memory until he got there.

He's also not a neophyte to the NFL. He played for years, his brother is one of the better coaches in the league currently, and he's already shown thats where he wants to coach.

If any coach in the NCAA is capable of coaching in the NFL right now, its Harbaugh and he's probably the only one that could make the jump and be relatively succesful immediately.

I always get them and the damn place in CT confused :P

I didn't know about his first job, my bad.... I find it hard to watch and follow college football (too many blow out games and the NCAA-Nazism makes me sick to an unholy level).....so I'm not as up on a "hot college candidate" as I would be a guy in the NFL, I'm willing to admit I'm wrong on it and I'm going on nothing more than a strong intuition-ffeling

#38 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:48 PM

I always get them and the damn place in CT confused :P

I didn't know about his first job, my bad.... I find it hard to watch and follow college football (too many blow out games and the NCAA-Nazism makes me sick to an unholy level).....so I'm not as up on a "hot college candidate" as I would be a guy in the NFL, I'm willing to admit I'm wrong on it and I'm going on nothing more than a strong intuition-ffeling

Well really, his first job isn't indicative of his ability as much as Stanford. The thing Harbaugh has over any coach making the jump (i.e. Petrino and Saban) is that Harbaugh was an NFL player, a QB no less, and he was also good. He knows the mindset of a guy in a contract year and can relate to them in that respect. His work with Luck shows this as well. Stanford run a pro-style offense. Without Harbaugh, Andrew Luck isn't the probable 1st pick. IMO, Saban could be a good NFL coach, but he got spoiled at LSU when he had total control and didn't have that in Miami. Some guys just aren't cut out for the NFL. Harbaugh is opposite. He's been a star in the league and his coaching job at Stanford, where he doesnt have the perks of being at a USC or other powerhouse program aren't there, yet he still is competing at a high level.

I prefer college to the pros. When we left NJ when I was 12 (back to the area now at 32) we moved to a SEC college town and I basically learned the game in the shadow of a major college program. I went to a big Pac-10 school. I feel more of a tie to my college teams than I do my pro. College football's major problem is the bureaucracy of the NCAA and moreso, the college presidents and leaders of the major conferences who only want to make money rather than see who the best team is on the field. Its also worth noting that the BCS, while complete sh!t in many respects, is much better than the old way of doing things.

#39 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

One thing on Saban (besides being a chicken sh!t and a weasel).... a guy like that who wins 9-11 games a year in college and is treated like God and beyond, when they come to the pros... that level of winning every year is IMPOSSIBLE and they tend to not be able to handle it (obviously Jimmy Johnson is an exception)....the guy who turned tail and ran on the Falcons comes to mind too..... they like being the big fish in the littler pond where there's no Sharks to pounce on them, and that's ok... just admit it and don't try to come back (well unless Spurrier wants to coach the Redskins again, that was amazing!), maybe having to earn his success in college makes him more NFL-ready then the guy who buys better players....recruits good players..... each year and has a superior talent pool every time....

It's rare you get a good college coach who becomes a good pro coach, the whole approach to the game is so DIFFERENT

#40 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

One thing on Saban (besides being a chicken sh!t and a weasel).... a guy like that who wins 9-11 games a year in college and is treated like God and beyond, when they come to the pros... that level of winning every year is IMPOSSIBLE and they tend to not be able to handle it (obviously Jimmy Johnson is an exception)....the guy who turned tail and ran on the Falcons comes to mind too..... they like being the big fish in the littler pond where there's no Sharks to pounce on them, and that's ok... just admit it and don't try to come back (well unless Spurrier wants to coach the Redskins again, that was amazing!), maybe having to earn his success in college makes him more NFL-ready then the guy who buys better players....recruits good players..... each year and has a superior talent pool every time....

It's rare you get a good college coach who becomes a good pro coach, the whole approach to the game is so DIFFERENT

Its also important where these guys go. You have to remember with both of your examples (Petrino and Saban) that both had previous NFL coaching experience. They also went, IMO, to bad situations. Saban's specialty is defense. Petrino offense, and neither of those teams were in a position to succeed right off the bat. Petrino had to deal with that whole Michael Vick BS and have Harrington as his starter. These guys went into bad situations. Same for Spurrier, who only came because Dan Snyder offered him the farm and hasnt found any real success since returning to college like he did at Florida, he also couldnt let go of the guys who were stars at Florida and brought them all to Washington. Spurrier did coach in the USFL and actually had Duke playing good college ball for a while. They (Saban and Petrino) are both yellow for the way they left, but I can see why they did leave.

Harbaugh is very unique. Can you name a former all-pro QB coming to coach an NFL team? At least in respect to the modern game. Its almost uncharted, but his coaching ability I dont think is questionable at this time. He comes from a family of coaches.

I agree though, most college coaches don't pan out in the pros, but Harbaugh's case is unique and worth taking a chance on provided he goes to a good situation, OR is at least given the time to get a system in place. Nothing is going to turn around in Carolina, Denver, or San Fran overnight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users