Leafs have balls. Do we?

dmitri

When I see the Leafs playing any other team than the Devils, I root for the Leafs. Why? Because that team has balls and they are exciting to watch. Sometimes they play on pure determination, they crash the net, create havoc, and a lot of times it works. A lot of times they simply outwill a more polished, higher-ranked, and talented opposition (hello, Ottawa!). They actually remind me of some Devils teams of years past who also lacked talent and firepower, but still won.

With the departure of Stevens, Daneyko, McKay, Holik, Arnott, Lemieux, do we have enough mean SOBs on our team to be able to intimidate the opposition like we used to and not get pushed around? I somehow often get the feeling that no, we do not. The only intimidating defenseman we have is White; the only "power forward" is Rupp (sorry, I can't call Elias or Gomez a "power forward"). Last night, the Devils got pushed around in the third by the Leafs team who did not even have Tucker and Belak on the ice... I hope the Devils are tougher than they looked last night. We'll find out in five weeks or so.

As for the Janssen's hit -- yeah, it was late; Cam should have at least slowed down. And to think that out of all the people we hate on the Leafs, like the knee-hunting cheap-shot scumbag Tucker, we put a likable Kaberle in the hospital. Or why can't it be Hollweg, Kasparaitis, or Hatcher in other games? Cam, there are plenty of guys who actually deserve to have their heads knocked off and who caused injury to some Devils players -- try to aim for those.

Thats a bit harsh.... The devs have a strong will... I heard a stat a couple of games ago that the Devils lead the leauge in goals scored with their own goalie pulled... we obviously have the will power to win.

Janssen's hit was late, but it wasn't that bad. Janssen should have received a penalty, Kaberle should have gotten up, all is done. Instead, what happened, Kaberle was unaware the Devs banging line was on the ice and he was admiring his pass. He saw a glimpse of the hit, and lowered himself a little which made it become a shoulder to the head. On top of that, after he was hit he slid into the boards.

Thats just crazy... if Janssen would had let up and just bumped, nothing happens.

If Janssen hits and Kaberle is being responsible (ie KEEP YOUR HEAD UP), Janssen should get a penalty... (he still wouldnt have because no one was watching that hit).

This is one of the best devs teams in a while.... we have no legit star (a sure sign for devs success), except of course Brodeur.

Thats a bit harsh.... The devs have a strong will... I heard a stat a couple of games ago that the Devils lead the leauge in goals scored with their own goalie pulled... we obviously have the will power to win.

Will is one thing, having a better physical presence is another. In some games (especially playoffs), success depends on being able not to simply outplay, but also to out muscle the other team. Madden is no Holik; Gomez is no Arnott; Gionta is no McKay; White is no Stevens. To me, this team seems much weaker than the three championship teams.

To put it in other words: I may have the will to fight, but Mike Tyson will beat me every time...

I notice that the Flyers have a number of rough and tumble guys. I wish we had a team like the Flyers.

If the Leafs had balls, SOMEONE, ANYONE would have gone after Janssen.

Edited by Don

The hit was late, anyone who thinks other is knee deep in Kool Aid. Are we the only team that's done this or was this the only late hit all year? Please, not even close. Cam sees his ice time, and time with the big team, in jeopardy so he does what he's paid to do, stir things up. Heck he was even looking for the retaliation. The Leafs will run him next game and he'll take all that they throw at him and won't complain.

I laugh when I see he should Kaberle was diving or milking it just because he was OK after the game. You hit your head on the boards or the ice and see how quickly you jump up. I'm glad he's not hurt, not because a Devil hit him but because I don't want to see any player, on any team, get hurt from a hit like this. It cheapens the sport.

I notice that the Flyers have a number of rough and tumble guys. I wish we had a team like the Flyers.

I believe I said outplay and out muscle, not simply out muscle... We need big guys who can play.

If the Leafs had balls, SOMEONE, ANYONE would have gone after Janssen.

I think they would have, but Janssen wasn't on the ice after the hit...

I think the leafs were in shock, but don's right nobody went after janssen. THAT is embarassing. They're going to have to make up for that on 3/30 when we play again.

In any case the devils have played this very passive agressive style for the past 10 years (you know...the trap) and so it frequently looks like they have no balls and are just dogging it out there. But when push comes to shove they are known to bring the intensity level up.

At least that was when Stevens was here. I was not impressed by our intensity level last playoffs, and I must admit I am skeptical how this team will perform once the playoffs start.

Carolina was loaded with tough guys like Cory Stillman and Ray Whitney last season.

Before the lockout I would've agreed with you but the fact is now that smaller players don't get swatted in the playoffs, you don't necessarily need that physical edge. We've been missing that big physical player like Holik since he left - we got lucky that we didn't play a big team ever in 03, 'cause we would've been in trouble.

Funny, they give the same Cup to those who barely win to those who dominate.

My point is that we barely won when Stevens was in the line-up. Now we have no Stevens and no replacement is in sight. Don't say White because White was there in 2003 (along with Dano, too). This team is less physical than the 2003 team, and that team was weaker than the 1995 and 2000 editions.

My point is that we barely won when Stevens was in the line-up. Now we have no Stevens and no replacement is in sight. Don't say White because White was there in 2003 (along with Dano, too). This team is less physical than the 2003 team, and that team was weaker than the 1995 and 2000 editions.

Barely won???? What does that mean? That's so b.s.

We aren't a big team, but they are tough. Do they get pushed around a little bit sure. But to say this team has no heart or balls is just ridiculous. If this team had no heart or no balls, we wouldn't be in first place. For a team this small and offensively challenged to be in first place is immediately attest to their heart and balls.

Wow, so we're not going to win the Cup this year? Bold prediction.

Yeah, we don't have Stevens and Niedermayer. However, Brodeur is playing better now than he was in any of those years. Our top line is better, our second line is better, and our third D pairing is at least better. Also, almost every team we would face is weaker than it could be thanks to the salary cap - the 03 Devils would've had trouble making it in this system.

I heard the same tripe in 03. Yeah, the Devils probably aren't winning the Stanley Cup - but we have as good a shot as anyone.

Edited by Triumph

Barely won???? What does that mean? That's so b.s.

Going seven games with the Ducks after having been up 2-0 is barely winning in my book.

We aren't a big team, but they are tough. Do they get pushed around a little bit sure. But to say this team has no heart or balls is just ridiculous. If this team had no heart or no balls, we wouldn't be in first place. For a team this small and offensively challenged to be in first place is immediately attest to their heart and balls.

I think it first and foremost attests to the system. Our clutch players are Langs and Sarge -- and while that may be good enough in the regular season, it just won't cut it in the playoffs. And I do hope I am wrong about the balls -- but how do you explain the third period last night?

Another bs thread. If the Devils had 'no balls' they wouldn't:

A) Have come back like ten different times at the end of games this season.

B) Keep winning tight games night after night.

C) Responded the way they did with physical play when Avery was pulling his nonsense trying to run Marty.

No the team doesn't have a ton of physicality but neither did the '03 Devils, '04 Lightning or '06 Hurricanes. That can be a bit overrated sometimes. Mental toughness is a lot more important than physical toughness.

Edited by Hasan4978

Well, I'd say 3 shutouts (and a fourth sort of, 1 - 0 OT loss)..is barely winning a Cup. Clutch players are Sarge and Langer...Parise or Gio?

The third period last night was a bit of a let down. This team doesn't give up leads almost ever, and the first time in a long time it happens, on the PP, a fluke goal that rainbowed over Marty and the next thing you you're down 3-2. That's no balls? And then they tied the game? No balls?

Wow, so we're not going to win the Cup this year? Bold prediction.

Yeah, we don't have Stevens and Niedermayer. However, Brodeur is playing better now than he was in any of those years. Our top line is better, our second line is better, and our third D pairing is at least better. Also, almost every team we would face is weaker than it could be thanks to the salary cap - the 03 Devils would've had trouble making it in this system.

I heard the same tripe in 03. Yeah, the Devils probably aren't winning the Stanley Cup - but we have as good a shot as anyone.

I am not making predictions about the Cup -- that'd be a silly thing to do; anyone can win. As for Brodeur, I believe he had around 1.80 GAA in '97 and '98 -- how did those seasons turn out?

All I am saying is that it will be very hard to play against that same Toronto (for example) in the playoff for the aforementioned reasons. I am concerned.