2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

How about using Harrold as a forward from now on instead of waiving him? Not that he's going to be waived, I just saw it mentioned on here a couple of times. I actually think he has a good offensive upside and he could easily replace Gionta (although we know that will never happen). Harrold is definitely too small to play defense on this team as Lou said and they have used him at forward before.

And it would make permanent room for Fayne or Gelinas.

It would be a waste to have him in over JJ at forward. Rather see him waived.

New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello sent out an email last week offering up an unnamed "veteran defenceman" around. D Marek Zidlicky, 36, is the oldest player on the club's blueline while D Anton Volchenkov, D Peter Harrold and Andy Greene all qualify in the "veteran" category. It is doubtful the Devils will be able to move anybody. By the way, teams often send out an email without naming names to try to protect the innocent.

From Bruce Garrioch http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/10/26/anaheim-ducks-goalies-make-good-trade-bait

Now Bruce is usually full of speculation and junk, but this is a direct fact he's alledging happened.

I can't imagine it being Andy or Marek. As much as people love or hate Zid, he's our top scorer at the moment...and adding it into Gelly, Greene - we have more offensive minded that I can remember having in quite some time. If we drop out of the playoff, but Zid continues to produce, he will be worth a small ransom given his contract status and ability.

It's not going to be Sal.

There's no way it's Zidlicky or Greene.  It's gotta be Volch or Harrold, assuming Fayne doesn't qualify as a 'vet' defenseman.  I don't see how they get rid of Volch though unless they take back half the cap hit/salary.  Would someone take him at $2.1 million for 3 years?  Possibly.

I don't see how they get rid of Volch though unless they take back half the cap hit/salary.  Would someone take him at $2.1 million for 3 years?  Possibly.

Edmonton would...when Tambellini was the GM. '

What sucks about this is that I see three scenarios...none too pleasing.

- Waive Harrold. Then you get Larsson/Fayne/Gelinas rotating in/out, until Volchenkov's game drops off enough so that he's the scratch.

- Trade Fayne. Which just sucks. 

- Demote Gelinas. Things go back to normal.

I can't see a scenario where they somehow get rid of Salvador or Volchenkov. Not as the land lies now. To me the future needs to be the present and I'd sure as hell rather see them miss the playoffs with Merrill, Gelinas and Larsson than Salvador, Volchenkov and Harrold. In many ways I like their chances better with the youngsters, because I'm not confident in what the veterans bring.

Edited by Marshall

From Bruce Garrioch http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/10/26/anaheim-ducks-goalies-make-good-trade-bait

Now Bruce is usually full of speculation and junk, but this is a direct fact he's alledging happened.

I can't imagine it being Andy or Marek. As much as people love or hate Zid, he's our top scorer at the moment...and adding it into Gelly, Greene - we have more offensive minded that I can remember having in quite some time. If we drop out of the playoff, but Zid continues to produce, he will be worth a small ransom given his contract status and ability.

It's not going to be Sal.

I could actually see it being Sal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Elaborate.

He doesn't have an NTC, which Vokchenkov has. And he has that "leadership" quality that some GMs like. That he was the captain during one of the worst stretches in the teams history won't save him.

Without knowing that much about their defensive depth, I could see Minnesota as a possibility.

• Like 1

He doesn't have an NTC, which Vokchenkov has. And he has that "leadership" quality that some GMs like. That he was the captain during one of the worst stretches in the teams history won't save him.

Without knowing that much about their defensive depth, I could see Minnesota as a possibility.

Would mean Devils retain salary and take a crap contract back, which essentially would be a wash. Though it saves you the embarassment of demoting your captain (which of course won't happen).

I think the most eye-opening and surprising part of that whole Garrioch blurb is that Lou uses e-mail. :P

Yeah, this is why I thought this story was a lie.  I'd believe he uses carrier pigeons over email.

Fayne's been in the league 3 years and probably has as many if not more games played than Peter Harrold.

Larsson is playing pretty good right now. But god I wish he would've turned into an OEL type of player, Larsson is playing good right now imo , but watching highlights by Oliver Ekman-Larsson, I mean this kid is something.

OEL is also 18 months older than Larsson. Yeah, OEL was a superior defender in every way last year. But there's that at least.

Yeah I agree, but I don't think that in 18 months, Larsson will be at the same level as OEL is right now. Granted, OEL plays a lot more, but still.

You basically have two, maybw three defensemen under 25 that you can say is on the same level as OEL. Adam Larsson will not be as good as OEL, and if Larsson is as good at 25 as OEL is at 22, then we should be doing cartwheels of joy.

I don't think that rationale holds up since Pete's still hanging around despite the record mostly because the team hasn't quit.  If the team's effort has saved Pete as coach, it'll probably save Sal as captain too.  Especially since he's actually been playing better this year than last.

The only sliver of a reason they might trade Sal is they need to get rid of a lefty defenseman if they want to keep Gelinas around and satisfy Pete's need to have three lefties and three righties in the lineup.  It's clearly not going to be Greene and it likely can't be Volch.  But I don't see it happening, I think they just McGillis Volch first and buy him out at the end of the year.  Or trade Fayne and force Pete to play four lefties.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Anton is the one guy they've showed a willingness to play the left and right. He's been paired with Sal for long stretches at evens as a RD.

It can happen.

We won't be happy, but it makes sense that Fayne is dealt - hopefully for a 3rd. I wonder if a Fayne/Tedenby package could bring something worthwhile back.

Fayne/Teddy/2nd for Edmonton 1st?

Then you go:

Greene-Zidlicky

Salvador-Volchenkov

Gelinas-Larsson

Harrold

Merrill as 1st call up in case of injury.

Fayne will likely be gone next year anyway.

Haha c'mon, Edmonton isn't making a trade like that.  They're not dealing their 1st except for a star.

My guess is that Tedenby is waived, and this will buy them some time.  They shouldn't deal Fayne to make room for Gelinas.

going with 8 d is a mistake. i don't know what other d move there is other than IR harrold. that buys you a little time. i don't know who else they're dealing. i think we've seen enough from gelinas to prove he's not going to turn into a pumpkin. do i expect a point per game performance and PP points galore? probably not. but he has clearly proven that he's a PP weapon and doesn't appear overmatched at all at this level.

going with 8 d is a mistake. i don't know what other d move there is other than IR harrold. that buys you a little time. i don't know who else they're dealing. i think we've seen enough from gelinas to prove he's not going to turn into a pumpkin. do i expect a point per game performance and PP points galore? probably not. but he has clearly proven that he's a PP weapon and doesn't appear overmatched at all at this level.

I guess it all depends on how confident they are that Merrill can play the right side.  The Devils look like they have a ton of D depth now, but one injury to the wrong guy (Greene, maybe Zidlicky) and all the sudden it could look ugly.  That's why I want Fayne - I know he can play 22 minutes a game in the NHL and do well.

Haha c'mon, Edmonton isn't making a trade like that.  They're not dealing their 1st except for a star.

My guess is that Tedenby is waived, and this will buy them some time.  They shouldn't deal Fayne to make room for Gelinas.

I agree. Trading Fayne isn't a step forward, it's a step backwards.Even if Gelinas or Merril could come up and play well, it's unlikely they would play better than Fayne, at least consistently.

I just hope that no matter what, the Devils don't go with 8 D again. I don't think that does anyone much good. I can see it happening though.

I do agree with triumph and think that Tedenby is likely to get waived (unless they do some sort of retroactive IR on Harrold).

I'm a huge Fayne fan and think he's underrated but I think he is the easiest and probably only D they could realistically trade (outside of Zidlicky who they definitely won't move). I don't want him gone but I think it happens. I doubt he's coming back after being yanked in and out of the line up constantly so they might as well get something for him.

Edited by thefiestygoat

a lot of volch haters on this board .. yea he has his bad plays sometimes but i dont mind him too much to be honest.. hes a big body hes around to lay some hits and he plays a physical game which is needed here. i thought he had a pretty good game last night from what i can remember of him.

I like Volch too.  But Salvador is the better player, and they have similar roles on the team.  I think he did look good against Vancouver and not bad against Boston.