So now that Lou is gone...

'7'

Wonder what will happen next in hierarchy?  Will Harris bring in another President? Will Shero assume both duties? Will Shero hire an asst MGR? He has to hire a director of scouting too. Busy man after he signs Larsson/Zacha.

they said they wont look to hire another president now

why do people keep mentioning long hair. We've had players with long hair before. Peluso comes to mind immediately.

It's more of a joke then anything else but I can't even think of anyone else since him who has had long hair on the team.

Personally I've always thought the no facial hair and no long hair rules this team has had was always stupid and had nothing to do with the teams success.

Plus as much as I hate him on the ice guys like Scott Hartnell end up donating their hair to locks of love which is a great charity and an awesome thing to do.

Edited by Satans Hockey

I think the long hair/low numbers were good rules. You can probably count on one hand players who maintained their numbers. To play on NJD, It's not about you, you're one of 23 other guys trying to win hockey games. No one gives a sh>t about what you like. I think they are good rules. 

I think the long hair/low numbers were good rules. You can probably count on one hand players who maintained their numbers. To play on NJD, It's not about you, you're one of 23 other guys trying to win hockey games. No one gives a sh>t about what you like. I think they are good rules.

The problem I have with that is these guys are professionals with options. They don't have to play for NJD. Not that I think players should have all the power but I would like this to be a place where people want to come play. Under Lou the Devils were run very old school and not everyone can appreciate that. I also feel like with the Rangers and Flyers being so close and so much more popular we should make some sacrifices like higher numbers, beards, and Twitter accounts just so players are more comfortable choosing us over one of them.

It's not that if feel like those are huge deals to players but I do think we should be going the extra mile to make people want to play for us.

i hope now as fans that we get to see a little more of the "behind the scenes" type of stuff, i remember when the stadium series games were going on they had a couple tv shows and each team got air time of locker room and behind the scenes stuff...every team but the devils, and i always felt shorted when it came to stuff like that. Lou wouldnt allow any of that so i hope that experience gets better for us now

i hope now as fans that we get to see a little more of the "behind the scenes" type of stuff, i remember when the stadium series games were going on they had a couple tv shows and each team got air time of locker room and behind the scenes stuff...every team but the devils, and i always felt shorted when it came to stuff like that. Lou wouldnt allow any of that so i hope that experience gets better for us now

No we got to see Marty stuff his face with meatballs at an Italian restaurant in Montreal.  I think the restaurant was his or his family's.

What pissed me off about the Stadium Series was it was well publicized at the time that Lou was heavily restricting access and even vetting the footage; Gulitti and some others mentioned it at the time, that NBC staff were being given a hard time covering the Devils.

And looking back, it's just so ridiculous, so inexplicably silly. A locker room with titans and legendary heavyweights like Stephen Gionta, Bryce Salvador, Dainus Zubrus, and led by the inspirational game-changing Peter DeBoer, keeping it under wraps like Area 51, like it's something special and unique that must not be emulated.

Little did we know at the time that we'd nosedive after that game, as would the end of Brodeur's career; we'd miss the playoffs for the second and then third year in a row. That win would spark the Rangers' Eastern Conference supremacy the next year and a half.

And looking back, you just have to shake your head at how much energy and thought Lou was putting into TV/media access and other trivial things at the time, while our team and organization was literally falling apart. It's like spending the whole day boarding up your garage before the big hurricane hits, and totally ignoring or forgetting to do your house.

Edited by DJ Eco

What pissed me off about the Stadium Series was it was well publicized at the time that Lou was heavily restricting access and even vetting the footage; Gulitti and some others mentioned it at the time, that NBC staff were being given a hard time covering the Devils.

And looking back, it's just so ridiculous, so inexplicably silly. A locker room with titans and legendary heavyweights like Stephen Gionta, Bryce Salvador, Dainus Zubrus, and led by the inspirational game-changing Peter DeBoer, keeping it under wraps like Area 51, like it's something special and unique that must not be emulated.

Little did we know at the time that we'd nosedive after that game, as would the end of Brodeur's career; we'd miss the playoffs for the second and then third year in a row. That win would spark the Rangers' Eastern Conference supremacy the next year and a half.

And looking back, you just have to shake your head at how much energy and thought Lou was putting into TV/media access and other trivial things at the time, while our team and organization was literally falling apart. It's like spending the whole day boarding up your garage before the big hurricane hits, and totally ignoring or forgetting to do your house.

Agreed that it was ridiculous.  It's an outdoor game where it should have been hyped up to oblivion.  Devils will never be in a Winter Classic so this was pretty much their only way to get an outdoor game.  That and that they pretty much had to play the Rangers to sweeten the pot enough for the NHL and more importantly, NBC, to actually give the green light to it.  The game was largely treated like any other game to Lou (yeah I know its the same 2 damn points as an indoor game) but more should have been done to at least grab even the casual viewer to the game.  Ignoring the eventual outcome of the game itself, the hype might have been enough to entice some casual fans to become more than casual fans towards the Devils.

Devils aren't a great team to watch these days and they weren't a great team to watch that season.  More should have been done to make them more exciting outside the game itself and that is where I think Lou held them back.

I really hope not many of the "Lou Rules" are abolished.  I like the fact the Devils were clean shaven until playoff time.  The Devils have a 3rd jersey the red and green.  If they want a 4th the white red and green.  The no high numbers was always waived for a very good player.  e.g. Richer, Jagr etc.  The no #13 was a Macmullin thing.  Did Lou keep it in place? Yes he did.  Not a big deal either way.  All these rules made the Devils unique.  Without them they just like the rest of the league.  Yes I'm an "older" fan, but seeing these other teams changing their uniforms is really head scratching. The jerseys most of the time are horrible.  Orange Oiler jersey at the draft anyone? :puke:

• Like 1

The no high numbers rule has to go, only because the Devils are going to end up retiring 4 jersey numbers below 30.  With that and 13 out, that leaves them with only 23 numbers to use for skaters.  The idea of having the same player wearing a different jersey number in the same year is confusing for fans and distracting for stat trackers, but it's inevitable when you only have 23 numbers for 21 skaters and you insist on always having a number below 30 used before one above 30 can be used.  

Edited by Triumph

How come no one wears #1 anymore? I can't think of any player on any team wearing #1.

Luongo comes to mind. I think it's retired on a lot of teams these days. A lot of great goalies wore that number.

Wait.... Kinkaid wears #1.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

I have a feeling we're going to see a uniform re-design in the next couple of years.  I have a feeling nothing is sacred anymore.  I'm not 100% dead-set against it (many teams have re-designed their uniforms through the years), but I just hope it's nothing hideous.  The Fishsticks and Buffa-slugs show how disastrous these ideas can be. 

I didn't even think about that.  Now I'm scared.  I really, REALLY hope it doesn't happen.  That will hurt inside, more than it does now :(