GDT: Eastern Conference Semis - Game 4 Philadelphia @ NJ - 5/6/12

lazer

The Flyers scored 2 goals about 7 and 9 minutes later. The Flyers stayed flat coming out of that timeout, it didn't change the game at all.

Maybe I didn't articulate my point well. The Devils didn't come out of the timeout with the same momentum. Along with that it cannot be denied that the Devils did not score first and that the Flyers may not have scored the first two without the timeout. Point is that he took the time out and the Flyers ended up leading 2-0 when it looked like it was going to start horribly for them. I'm not saying the timeout scored them two goals but you can't diss Laviolette for taking the timeout when the Flyers eventually ended up 2-0.

The Flyers scored 2 goals about 7 and 9 minutes later. The Flyers stayed flat coming out of that timeout, it didn't change the game at all.

During the regular season the Flyers were awful in the first period and numerous times Lavi would call a quick timeout and the team would respond well.. Look at how the Flyers went down 3-0 to the Pens in game 1, Lavi timeout, flyers came back stronger and won the game

A weird strategy, but it worked for them all year

Maybe I didn't articulate my point well. The Devils didn't come out of the timeout with the same momentum. Along with that it cannot be denied that the Devils did not score first and that the Flyers may not have scored the first two without the timeout. Point is that he took the time out and the Flyers ended up leading 2-0 when it looked like it was going to start horribly for them. I'm not saying the timeout scored them two goals but you can't diss Laviolette for taking the timeout when the Flyers eventually ended up 2-0.

Flyers lost the game, why can't I credit the Devils eventual win with that early timeout by the Flyers? If a timeout is going to have an impact it's going to be immediate, and immediately following the timeout the Devils were still the better team. The timeout didn't help the Flyers garner either goal, no more than it hurt the Flyers in allowing 2 goals that period.

I'm not dissing the timeout, but it didn't help, so it was wasted. Either the timeout timing was bad or the coaching staff wasn't able to use it effectively, either way it didn't work.

During the regular season the Flyers were awful in the first period and numerous times Lavi would call a quick timeout and the team would respond well.. Look at how the Flyers went down 3-0 to the Pens in game 1, Lavi timeout, flyers came back stronger and won the game

A weird strategy, but it worked for them all year

this, i think flyers must have thought this flat first period was an issue for them and tried to stop it; not realizing that the devils play well going down a goal in the first period...

DM mentioned the stats, but i think they show a losing record when they score early, or first; at the same time id be sure devils have a winning record when they get scored on first.

Flyers lost the game, why can't I credit the Devils eventual win with that early timeout by the Flyers? If a timeout is going to have an impact it's going to be immediate, and immediately following the timeout the Devils were still the better team. The timeout didn't help the Flyers garner either goal, no more than it hurt the Flyers in allowing 2 goals that period.

I'm not dissing the timeout, but it didn't help, so it was wasted. Either the timeout timing was bad or the coaching staff wasn't able to use it effectively, either way it didn't work.

Again, the Devils did not score following the timeout. They very likely would have if no timeout was taken. No goal was scored and the Flyers were able to take the lead later on. Of course the Flyers eventually lost the game because the Devils were better in every area.

DM mentioned the stats, but i think they show a losing record when they score early, or first; at the same time id be sure devils have a winning record when they get scored on first.

I'm pretty sure that in every game of this series, the team that scored first has lost.

Tom Gulitti ‏ @TGfireandice

DeBoer said Ryan Carter (ill) is feeling better today and should be available for Game 5 Tuesday.

Rich Chere ‏ @Ledger_NJDevils

Jacob Josefson's injury has fully healed and he will start skating soon

I'm pretty sure that in every game of this series, the team that scored first has lost.

i would guess its reflected in the regular season as well.

the panthers series is out of mind right now...oh yeah 3 goal lead losses hahah

DeBoer said Ryan Carter (ill) is feeling better today and should be available for Game 5 Tuesday.

now i feel better too

heh. I seem to recall the players saying they wanted to stay in the playoffs long enough to get him back in the lineup. Pretty cool.

I highly doubt JJ is fully healed but anyway..

at this point it's hard to argue the Devils aren't running as close as it gets to all cylinders.

I'm impressed how they are just EVERYWHERE on the ice right now.

When a Cryer turns around, or has the puck, there's a Devil in his face.

That's Devils hockey & I'm glad they decided to play this way now, when it counts.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

Remember JJ is going to start skating soon. He may not even play still unless someone else goes down.

If/when he gets healthy he IS NOT going to play unless someone gets injured. No need for us to tinker with the lineup right now. We have 4 strong lines that are performing extremely well....

If/when he gets healthy he IS NOT going to play unless someone gets injured. No need for us to tinker with the lineup right now. We have 4 strong lines that are performing extremely well....

josefson deserves his spot in the lineup back simply becuase the devils are a better team with him. gionta did an outstanding job and did everything that was asked of him but the devils are a better team with josefson. he can also move up to other lines something gionta can not do.

josefson deserves his spot in the lineup back simply becuase the devils are a better team with him. gionta did an outstanding job and did everything that was asked of him but the devils are a better team with josefson. he can also move up to other lines something gionta can not do.

i would not go that far... if he does even get to 100%, i really don't think itd be worth messing with our lineup by adding a guy who didn't even do that much during the season when he was healthy... especially when we are playing as well as we are

i would not go that far... if he does even get to 100%, i really don't think itd be worth messing with our lineup by adding a guy who didn't even do that much during the season when he was healthy... especially when we are playing as well as we are

taking a player off the 4th line thats a career minor leaguer who overachieved for a stint will not disrupt things in place of a versitile NHL caliber player.

youre also forgetting jj was playing well when he got injured and started to contibute in both ends. jj's arrival to the 4th line finally balanced the lineup.

the only problem is getting back in game shape and shaking off the rust.

taking a player off the 4th line thats a career minor leaguer who overachieved for a stint will not disrupt things in place of a versitile NHL caliber player.

youre also forgetting jj was playing well when he got injured and started to contibute in both ends. jj's arrival to the 4th line finally balanced the lineup.

speak for yourself but im content with having Gionta on that line because he's a spark that every 4th line needs. im perfectly fine with leaving this the way it is instead of hoping that JJ is in good shape and can make a better impact

The problem is that he has to shake off the rust by playing in critical playoff games. While a healthy JJ is obviously better than Gionta, the guy's had his wrist in a cast for 5 weeks which means he's lost strength and hasnt played much competitive hockey all season.

The problem is that he has to shake off the rust by playing in critical playoff games. While a healthy JJ is obviously better than Gionta, the guy's had his wrist in a cast for 5 weeks which means he's lost strength and hasnt played much competitive hockey all season.

exactly.. and if we weren't playing great hockey at the moment, then maybe it'd be worth the risk.. but i just dont see the need for it