Kovalchuk Gone, What moves do we make now?

grcenter47

Jagr was dogging it in the playoffs?  That's utterly ridiculous.  I know he doesn't have the right ratio of vowels to consonants in his last name.  Take issue with his performance, but his desire is all there.

Let me clarify: I'm not knocking his desire because it's still there. By dogging it I mean he was out there huffing and puffing.

Jagr was dogging it in the playoffs?  That's utterly ridiculous.  I know he doesn't have the right ratio of vowels to consonants in his last name.  Take issue with his performance, but his desire is all there.

The laziest player in the NHL. Oh wait...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/06/jaromir-jagr-demands-dedication-in-the-gym.html

Read my clarification before jumping to conclusions. I wasn't questioning his effort or desire. By "dogging" I meant he was pretty frickin' exhausted. Plus he's 41. Here's the comparison between Jagr and Boyes:

Jagr 12-13: 35 pts in 45 games Right Wing Shoots left 41 years old

Boyes 12-13 35 pts in 48 games Right Wing shoots right 31 years old

Jagr won't come cheap.

Well, if anyone cares, per Capgeek, Zids' deal is a $3M + 1M bonus deal.   So, a $4M cap hit which I guess will no longer have to be rolled over into next season unless they fall into Vanek or something.   LOL

Wow! If we made a deal on Vanek I would be nervous all season waiting for Vanek to announce in July 2014 during free agent frenzy that he's decided to go home.

Wow! If we made a deal on Vanek I would be nervous all season waiting for Vanek to announce in July 2014 during free agent frenzy that he's decided to go home.

I don't think Buffalo needs D after the draft anymore, though.    I get the lack of comfort with it, though.   Can you do sign and trades in the NHL?

Well, if anyone cares, per Capgeek, Zids' deal is a $3M + 1M bonus deal. So, a $4M cap hit which I guess will no longer have to be rolled over into next season unless they fall into Vanek or something. LOL

Vanek wouldn't go home right away. He'd resign with the Devils next summer. After considerable time deciding between us and the Rangers, he chooses us. WOOHOO! Then 3 years into his 8 year deal, he'll decide to ACTUALLY retire and go home to Austria to start a brewery. It's the type of thing that could only happen to the Devils. Edited by MadDog2020

Vanek wouldn't go home right away. He'd resign with the Devils next summer. After considerable time deciding between us and the Rangers, he chooses us. WOOHOO! Then 3 years into his 8 year deal, he'll decide to ACTUALLY retire and go home to Austria to start a brewery. It's the type of thing that could only happen to the Devils.

He would re-sign with the Devils but only after making us wait until August to finally make his decision in turn causing Lou to lose out on other valuable free agents because of cap space. Oh and Salvador and Volch would get contract extensions.

Cam Janssen would be re-signed too.

Remember when we were one of the teams with the most American players? I don't want to seem xenophobic, but maybe we should go back to that. At least we can make a case for geographic proximity to the players' homes.

Edited by CarpathianForest

Vanek wouldn't go home right away. He'd resign with the Devils next summer. After considerable time deciding between us and the Rangers, he chooses us. WOOHOO! Then 3 years into his 8 year deal, he'll decide to ACTUALLY retire and go home to Austria to start a brewery. It's the type of thing that could only happen to the Devils.

And then 20 minutes after the brewery opens, he'd sign with the new KHL franchise, Bierstorm Vienna

Mason Raymond? Let me tell you about Raymond. 

He has blazing speed and can make some amazing rushes up the ice.

He is a great PK'er

Above average passer.

Very strong in the D zone.

He is a total perimeter player. His patented move is to gain the O zone, do a button hook and curl away from the boards to the centre and then either make a dumb pass or get knocked off the puck. He has absolutely no board play.

He is a capable 20+ goal scorer on the right team, great shot.

Last season he was still recovering from the broken back he received in the SCF against Boston.

The big knock on him is his lack of physical play. On a big team he is a good complimentary player but on a small team or soft team he is just one more small, soft player. Vancouver needed to turn the page because we need size and grit. He was no longer performing up to expectations and seemed to lose his confidence. 

He was seldom benched or seldom a healthy scratch. He was one of those players that AV gave a ton of ice time too and plenty of opportunity to be that offensive sniper we needed. He just couldn't do it. He is a streak scorer, seems unstoppable for 2-3 games then disappears for 20 or so.

He definitely would benefit from a fresh start but you have to know what you get. He is a complimentary player not the guy to build around. I think he is holding out for a 3-4 year deal around the 3 million range but I would be a little hesitant to sign him at that. Perhaps a 2 year 2-2.5 per deal to prove himself on a new team.

I say pick up Jagr and if the Devils drop out of contention around the trade deadline they have a piece to trade for the future. Sound familiar? Oh yea, Dallas did it last year?!?! Flip him for prospects and a 2nd rounder and he's worth the 4 mil he's asking for (Dallas got a 1st only because boston made the eastern conference finals).

With all the Czech's we have now Elias says "Jaromír buddy, come play on the eastern conference Czech team for half a year with your countrymen leading in to Sochi, and then if it doesn't work out Lou will flip you to a contender." BAM!

Note: I have always disliked Jagr since 08..don't like the guns for hire type players, but a gun for higher is exactly what we need for 1 year to replace the ultimate mercenary; Kovy. 

Edited by Steadevils

I also have hated Jagr for longer than I can remember, until this past postseason when I found myself really pulling for him and really enjoyed watching him play. I think regardless of the lack of goals, he had an amazon postseason in terms of playmaking and possession play. I'd love to see him paired up with Patty this season, however they'd need a scoring center out there with them in my opinion. Also I really think Brunner should be an option, 27 year old rookie with high level experience who managed to crack Detroits top 6 for most of the season, also playing the point on the PP at times. If he could hang in there on Detroit (I know they were ravage with injuries) he clearly has a good attitude and head on his shoulders.

You are the only fvcking moron in the entire fvcking world who can blame Lou for a player deciding to retire 2 years into a 15 year contract. Go jump off a bridge you ignorant twat.

Listen you flaming a$$Hole I didn't blame Lou for Kovy's decision. Since Lou knew Kovy's intentions since January 2013, I said that closed mouth Lou mislead through silence the team, fans and etc.. There could have been a leak, you wouldn't understand strategy it's used all the time, Fans were excited about the progress of the draft and free agency only to be let down with a major unknown blow. Elias was pissed that Kovy was allowed to stay in Russia for the all star game and now he is pissed and says it will effect the team about Kovy's decision. How do you think he feels after signing his 3 year contract thinking we had offense with Kovy on board? Salvador was surprised. Season ticket holder signed up again to find out they were mislead by Devils management. Now go F-yourself.

Help is not coming from within. Tedenby is pretty much a lost cause and Josefeson might score 30 points in a full season (if he can even play a full season)

Signing Jagr is a no brainer. He wants to come here. The closer to AC the better for him. A 1 year deal and he can help replace Kovy on the powerplay.

After that maybe sign Brunner or Grabovski.

I really hope we announce the signing of Jagr TODAY!

The question moving forward is whether or not we're going to be able to get quality free agents to sign here in the short and medium term. If I'm a free agent, would I want to come here given the fact that this whole deal is one giant circus of uncertainty?

The question moving forward is whether or not we're going to be able to get quality free agents to sign here in the short and medium term. If I'm a free agent, would I want to come here given the fact that this whole deal is one giant circus of uncertainty?

We have NEVER had a problem signing free agents.  Our pre-Kovy tradition of winning hockey was attractive to free agents.  Devils hockey elevated a players stature in the marketplace and allowed avergae players to get huge deals later in their career (Holik, Gomez, Clarkson, Sykora, etc.).

There is no uncertainty here.  You want to win, come here.

I really hope we announce the signing of Jagr TODAY!

For the first time in years, I am looking to re-new my season ticket package.   I like the team right now, because I know the kids finally have a chance to step-up (talking about Josefson in particular).

If we sign Jagr, I will keep my money.  Because it is a step in the wrong direction.

We have NEVER had a problem signing free agents.  Our pre-Kovy tradition of winning hockey was attractive to free agents.  Devils hockey elevated a players stature in the marketplace and allowed avergae players to get huge deals later in their career (Holik, Gomez, Clarkson, Sykora, etc.).

There is no uncertainty here.  You want to win, come here.

Yup. The Devils organization has a reputation of developing players really well and the Devils system optimizes the player's ability. That's why more often than not when a big name Devils player goes UFA to another team the underachieve(Some exceptions of course).