Devils Name Jacques Lemaire Head Coach

nmigliore

Gee...no suprise there...Glad to see Lemaire back behind the Devils bench. Hopefully this time around Lemaire knows he has to be more offense minded than he was in the mid to late 90's. The defense will be good and sharp, but it will be the offense that will be worked on more IMO this time around by Lemaire.

Tremblay and Albelin will be also good behind the bench now as MacLean is the head coach of the Lowell Devils. Next move for MacLean now that he is a head coach in the AHL will be a head coaching job in the NHL, whether it will be with the Devils or not me thinks.

I keep changing how I feel about this. I think a part of the uncertainty is due to the fact that the way he left the Devils the first time. 2 awesome years followed by 3 very difficult years. It's like the saying goes, you can forgive but you can't forget.

On the other hand, like many have already mentioned, Lemaire has a great mind for the game of hockey. One of the best in the business by far. Maybe not everyone agrees with his philosophy all the time but his knowledge for the game can not be denied.

Obviously this hiring doesn't have that "move toward the future" feel to it but that doesn't mean it will be bad. For as much sh*t people throw at Lou for putting together our current roster he really hasn't left us with a bad team. When has he ever? Maybe we finally have someone who will teach these guys how to fvcking win for once. For as skilled as some of the young talent is on this team they have absolutely zero clue as to what it takes to be a winner in this league. They sure as hell were not going to learn it from someone who's body was in New Jersey while his head was up some cows ass 3000 miles away. I for one am sick of watching very good teams completely sh!t the bed once the pressure is turned up.

It will be fine. It always is. Love the move or hate it, there is no sense bitching about it. Best to just move forward and support the team.

My nonsense on Lemaire, for what it's worth:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,176254

One thing I find hilarious in some of the coverage is that Lemaire returning is the Devils trying to get back to their "glory years." Is there any possible way 1994-98 can be considered "the glory years" in comparison to 2000-2003?

Bottom line: I'm willing to give Lemaire the benefit of the doubt that in a two-year sprint for a Cup, he's the right guy for this team. No, I'm not looking forward to the slings and arrows from Rangers and Flyers fans, but it's not like they've stopped since Lemaire last coached.

He makes our defense better, he makes our power play worse, and he's either going to build on Sutter's success or squeeze us into the postseason in the seventh or eighth seed. But even with the holes we have, he gives the Devils a shot to get back there.

<JESTER>

My nonsense on Lemaire, for what it's worth:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,176254

One thing I find hilarious in some of the coverage is that Lemaire returning is the Devils trying to get back to their "glory years." Is there any possible way 1994-98 can be considered "the glory years" in comparison to 2000-2003?

Bottom line: I'm willing to give Lemaire the benefit of the doubt that in a two-year sprint for a Cup, he's the right guy for this team. No, I'm not looking forward to the slings and arrows from Rangers and Flyers fans, but it's not like they've stopped since Lemaire last coached.

He makes our defense better, he makes our power play worse, and he's either going to build on Sutter's success or squeeze us into the postseason in the seventh or eighth seed. But even with the holes we have, he gives the Devils a shot to get back there.

<JESTER>

You need to post more often in actuality, not just feed form.

I keep changing how I feel about this. I think a part of the uncertainty is due to the fact that the way he left the Devils the first time. 2 awesome years followed by 3 very difficult years. It's like the saying goes, you can forgive but you can't forget.

On the other hand, like many have already mentioned, Lemaire has a great mind for the game of hockey. One of the best in the business by far. Maybe not everyone agrees with his philosophy all the time but his knowledge for the game can not be denied.

Obviously this hiring doesn't have that "move toward the future" feel to it but that doesn't mean it will be bad. For as much sh*t people throw at Lou for putting together our current roster he really hasn't left us with a bad team. When has he ever? Maybe we finally have someone who will teach these guys how to fvcking win for once. For as skilled as some of the young talent is on this team they have absolutely zero clue as to what it takes to be a winner in this league. They sure as hell were not going to learn it from someone who's body was in New Jersey while his head was up some cows ass 3000 miles away. I for one am sick of watching very good teams completely sh!t the bed once the pressure is turned up.

It will be fine. It always is. Love the move or hate it, there is no sense bitching about it. Best to just move forward and support the team.

Ya know what... post of the fvcking year. Well said Sick.

I think it's more than "just move forward an support the team"

Give our current (very good) roster and given the excess talent in Pittsburgh and Washington the only way to win is with a hockey guy like Lemaire. It actually was an easy decision for Lou.

As usual, great post. The bold part made me :lol:

I'm happy that we finally have a head coach. Hopefully Lemaire will do a good job.

Agreed, I'm glad Lou didn't take the entire offseason to get this coaching decision over with. Bringing in Lemaire is a good call, IMO. He has a proven track record with his, 1 cup and hopefully he can develop the youth and lead his team to the cup once again.

Hey Jester!

I still remember our on air conversation concerning your book.

We also had a discussion about a Devils history book you told me you were working on. Has that ever gone to press?

Also, and this is for anyone to answer, is there a definitive (or two) books on the franchise worth reading? Something that goes back to day one - - the look inside the franchise shift from Denver to the swamp - - and all through the glory years?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Hey Jester!

We also had a discussion about a Devils history book you told me you were working on. Has that ever gone to press?

Also, and this is for anyone to answer, is there a definitive (or two) books on the franchise worth reading? Something that goes back to day one - - the look inside the franchise shift from Denver to the swamp - - and all through the glory years?

PM's usually work out better so you don't :hijack:

Hey dude, with all respect, chill.

I didn't even come close to hijacking a thread, I simply said hello to someone who was previously on my radio show - - and then asked a follow up question as well.

Ciao.

Hey Jester!

Havent read it, but:

http://www.amazon.com/Pain-Progress-First-Jersey-Devils/dp/1563520397

• Like 1

Hate beating a dead horse here, but for those complaining about Lemaire's age of 63 years old:

For comparison

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski is 62 years old.

UConn coach Jim Calhoun is 67 years old.

Phillies manager Charlie Manuel is 65 years old.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson is 65 years old.

New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin is 62 years old.

Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden are 82 & 79 respectively. While they are both currently in the twilight of their careers, they've won multiple bowl games, conference titles, and national championships since turning 63.

Hate beating a dead horse here, but for those complaining about Lemaire's age of 63 years old:

For comparison

Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden are 82 & 79 respectively. While they are both currently in the twilight of their careers, they've won multiple bowl games, conference titles, and national championships since turning 63.

To make your research relevant, I think you should post the ages that those coaches began coaching with those teams... I think what everyone here is worried about that he is just starting his new stint as Devils coach at this age, that he won't last long from here.

For comparison

To make your research relevant, I think you should post the ages that those coaches began coaching with those teams... I think what everyone here is worried about that he is just starting his new stint as Devils coach at this age, that he won't last long from here.

Most of the coaches above have been with the organizations for a while, but...

Joe Torre started managing the Dodgers at 68. His team is currently in 1st place.

Charlie Manuel started managing the Phillies at 61. He has won a World Series.

Jim Leyland was 61 when he started managing the Tigers in 2006 and went to the World Series. His team is currently in 1st place.

Larry Brown won the NBA Championship in his first year as coach of the Pistons at age 64.

For comparison

For comparison

Most of the coaches above have been with the organizations for a while, but...

Joe Torre started managing the Dodgers at 68. His team is currently in 1st place.

Charlie Manuel started managing the Phillies at 61. He has won a World Series.

Jim Leyland was 61 when he started managing the Tigers in 2006 and went to the World Series. His team is currently in 1st place.

Larry Brown won the NBA Championship in his first year as coach of the Pistons at age 64.

Great posts!