2010 NFL thread

MadDog2020

I hate hate HATE this fvcking rule.....you want the ball back

PLAY DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a total over the top WAHHHH Brett Favre didn't get the ball in overtime overreaction!!!

You know the consequences of getting a game to overtime... DON'T LET IT HAPPEN, and the worst thing about the idiocy of this rule.... how many kickers MISSED the "seal it up" or game winning/tying field goals LATE this year???

sh!t, the only guy to actually NAIL one was the fvcking Saints guy!!!!!!

Football is a three part game, offense, defense AND special teams.... and fvck em if they suck at one of the three and it costs them!!!!!!

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PLAY DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a total over the top WAHHHH Brett Favre didn't get the ball in overtime overreaction!!!

You know the consequences of getting a game to overtime... DON'T LET IT HAPPEN, and the worst thing about the idiocy of this rule.... how many kickers MISSED the "seal it up" or game winning/tying field goals LATE this year???

Football is a three part game, offense, defense AND special teams.... and fvck em if they suck at one of the three and it costs them!!!!!!

Jackers!!!! Talk about overreaction.

I don't see the problem in a playoff game, after the coin toss its typically anti-climatic at this point.

Jackers!!!! Talk about overreaction.

I don't see the problem in a playoff game, after the coin toss its typically anti-climatic at this point.

I'm sick and tired of this fvcking league re-writing ALL the rules to sh!t on defenses and make it as much arena football outdoors as possible... it's NOT BROKEN LEAVE THE GODDAMN THING ALONE!!!!!

Was it anti-climatic when Aaron Rodgers got mauled and it became 6 points???

I'm sick and tired of this fvcking league re-writing ALL the rules to sh!t on defenses and make it as much arena football outdoors as possible... it's NOT BROKEN LEAVE THE GODDAMN THING ALONE!!!!!

Was it anti-climatic when Aaron Rodgers got mauled and it became 6 points???

Touche my friend.

re: the whole post season thing. Jerry Jones said they will vote on this overtime rule to be put in place for the regular-season as well at the next meeting in May in Texas.

I wish they'd spend this time USEFULLY and do something like hammer out a deal with the goddamn players instead of making idiot changes that are NOT NEEDED :rant:

PLAY DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, I always LOVED Sudden Death exactly the way it was.

But unfortunately, anyone paying half-attention could see changes coming eventually. Too many people always complaining when their team lost in OT. Including some coaches.

And now that the rule has changed a little, the floodgates have opened. I can almost guarantee the league will make further changes down the road.

You should hear some of these callers on the sports-talk shows, calling in with their crackpot ideas on how to make OT even "better." All of their ideas involve extending the game even more, like another full quarter. And then, if it's still tied, maybe a five-minute extra period on top of that!

Hey, I have a great idea! If the game is tied after regulation, want not immediately play another full game? After all, that would the fairest solution!!

blahblah.gif

Where does Donovan McNabb end up???

I'd guess Buffalo, San Fran would make sense but I can see Phily wanting him out of the NFC

If Phily's idiot enough to think the Dog Show is an actual NFL starting QB though.... good luck with that.....

(not to be racist but the best QB on that team is the white guy :P)

I'd guess Buffalo, San Fran would make sense but I can see Phily wanting him out of the NFC

If Phily's idiot enough to think the Dog Show is an actual NFL starting QB though.... good luck with that.....

(not to be racist but the best QB on that team is the white guy :P)

Kolb????? If we didn't have Flacco developing I would take McNabb in a heartbeat. The Eagles have a pretty weak O-Line, below average WR corps, no TE, yet he still gets the offense going. I agree Vick is a joke as a passer. I think San Fran wins the West if McNabb goes there with that up & coming D.

Looks like I'm a little late to this rodeo, but here's my take on the OT change: it really doesn't change much. The only way it's different is if the team with first possession kicks a field goal. Other than that, it's still sudden death exactly the same way it's always been.

I personally hated old OT. To me, it was as much real football as a shootout is real hockey. An above-average kick return, two or three first downs and you can trot out the guy who's barely even a football player to decide the game. That's so lame that it hurts. At least a shootout is exciting. But whatever, either one is acceptable for the regular season. At least this rule change makes it slightly less lame for the playoffs.

I was more in favor of a radical change, like making it the first team to score six points wins. Two field goals or one touchdown. Wanna win a playoff football game? Earn it by being a better football team. Not some namby pamby field goal kicker contest. Might as well be a breakaway contest.

I was more in favor of a radical change, like making it the first team to score six points wins. Two field goals or one touchdown. Wanna win a playoff football game? Earn it by being a better football team. Not some namby pamby field goal kicker contest. Might as well be a breakaway contest.

Go back and look at the percentage of big field goals in OT and late 4th Quarter that were MISSED by kickers this year, and you'll see you didn't need the change.... the biggest problem with it was obsessively conservative coaches that got to the 30 yard line and ran 3 dive plays assuming a 47 yard FG was a given when it's NOT

And well don't like a long return, play better special teams right?? That's part of the game too... what if the guy runs the kick back for a TD? "oh that's not fair either" right???

I was already in a pissy mood at this, but last night's adding to it :P

wanna see what a shootout in football looks like?? Watch the moronic college football OT!!!

Go back and look at the percentage of big field goals in OT and late 4th Quarter that were MISSED by kickers this year, and you'll see you didn't need the change.... the biggest problem with it was obsessively conservative coaches that got to the 30 yard line and ran 3 dive plays assuming a 47 yard FG was a given when it's NOT

And well don't like a long return, play better special teams right?? That's part of the game too... what if the guy runs the kick back for a TD? "oh that's not fair either" right???

I was already in a pissy mood at this, but last night's adding to it :P

wanna see what a shootout in football looks like?? Watch the moronic college football OT!!!

Let me put it this way. In regulation, the objective is to get the ball into the end zone and coaches sometimes settle for a field goal. In overtime, the field goal goes from being a consolation prize to being the objective. I'm just not OK with that.

The more I think about it, sometimes I start to think that sudden death just doesn't work in football. I mean, baseball's extra innings have both a top and bottom half where each team gets an equal shot at winning the game. Hockey is sudden death, but that's a back-and-forth sport where neither team has a discernable advantage over the other. Maybe football would be best suited to adopt something like what ::shudder:: basketball has. Add a 10-minute period at the end of the game and see who's standing at the end. Let's see drives, clock management, decisions on whether to punt, kick or go for it on 4th down. Let that stuff decide the outcome of a playoff game, rather than a contest of "Who Can Get Into Field Goal Range First?". What football fan honestly wouldn't sign up for that?

Let me put it this way. In regulation, the objective is to get the ball into the end zone and coaches sometimes settle for a field goal. In overtime, the field goal goes from being a consolation prize to being the objective. I'm just not OK with that.

The more I think about it, sometimes I start to think that sudden death just doesn't work in football. I mean, baseball's extra innings have both a top and bottom half where each team gets an equal shot at winning the game. Hockey is sudden death, but that's a back-and-forth sport where neither team has a discernable advantage over the other. Maybe football would be best suited to adopt something like what ::shudder:: basketball has. Add a 10-minute period at the end of the game and see who's standing at the end. Let's see drives, clock management, decisions on whether to punt, kick or go for it on 4th down. Let that stuff decide the outcome of a playoff game, rather than a contest of "Who Can Get Into Field Goal Range First?". What football fan honestly wouldn't sign up for that?

Well put, DiG.

I may get some flak for this, but I'm in the camp that thinks the NFL should adopt college overtime. Its perfect: each team gets a chance to score, but its not a full-fledged drive either, since it starts on the opponents 25 yard line. And its not going to go on forever; starting in the third overtime, you can't kick PATs anymore, you have to go for 2, so that helps keep most games from going 8OT. And those 8OT games are AMAZING to watch. Anybody remember Northwestern's bowl game this year that went into overtime? THAT is what football is all about. Amazing back and forth play, and the coin toss has a minimal effect on the outcome.

Well put, DiG.

I may get some flak for this, but I'm in the camp that thinks the NFL should adopt college overtime. Its perfect: each team gets a chance to score, but its not a full-fledged drive either, since it starts on the opponents 25 yard line. And its not going to go on forever; starting in the third overtime, you can't kick PATs anymore, you have to go for 2, so that helps keep most games from going 8OT. And those 8OT games are AMAZING to watch. Anybody remember Northwestern's bowl game this year that went into overtime? THAT is what football is all about. Amazing back and forth play, and the coin toss has a minimal effect on the outcome.

There probably isn't a football overtime system that's completely perfect, but there are definitely alternatives that are both more fair and more exciting than the field goal-driven suckfest the NFL has (although the new rule does make it somewhat better).

Unfortunately, it all boils down to $$$. The NFL likes its games to end in a timely manner so as not to interrupt the TV scheduling. 1:00 games can't bleed into 4:15 games and 4:15 games can't extend into prime time any more than they already do. Anything else would upset the networks and their sponsors. The NFL wants the quickest resolution possible to every game and what they currently have in place accomplishes that. It was imperfect, but the new rule makes it slightly less imperfect.

See now THIS would actually work and I'd be all for it... you have a nice ten minute drive, kick a field goal and everyone goes home happy B )

(seriously it's too logical to EVER happen *ugh*)

Looks like I'm a little late to this rodeo, but here's my take on the OT change: it really doesn't change much. The only way it's different is if the team with first possession kicks a field goal. Other than that, it's still sudden death exactly the same way it's always been.

I personally hated old OT. To me, it was as much real football as a shootout is real hockey. An above-average kick return, two or three first downs and you can trot out the guy who's barely even a football player to decide the game. That's so lame that it hurts. At least a shootout is exciting. But whatever, either one is acceptable for the regular season. At least this rule change makes it slightly less lame for the playoffs.

Man, I don't get how anyone could compare NFL OT to the NHL shootout. You make it sound like teams were starting out on the 25 or something and trotting out their field-goal kickers.

Well put, DiG.

Uh, god, this is what I'm talking about. You gotta be kidding me, college OT sucks! That's no longer real football, with a 100-yard field, a kickoff, a runback, multiple first downs and all that stuff. That's just some sandlot bullsh!t. I can't take that college OT seriously. ... Why don't we just throw up the ball at midfield and play kill the man with the ball instead?!!

C'mon!!! I can't believe you guys.

soapbox.gif

biggrin.gif

Oops, I missed this.

What he said.

Edited by 95Crash

Man, I don't get how anyone could compare NFL OT to the NHL shootout. You make it sound like teams were starting out on the 25 or something and trotting out their field-goal kickers.

It's far from a perfect analogy, I know, but think of it this way: In hockey's regulation, it's hard to argue that breakaways are the most important element of the game. But once the shootout starts, that all changes since it turns into a breakaway contest. In football's regulation, no one would ever argue that the kicker is the most important player on the field. But once overtime starts, the case could certainly be made since he is now the player most likely to touch the ball last. In both instances, elements of the game go from being relatively minor to decisively major. And in football's case, it's a very lame element of the game. Both are acceptable in the regular season, but the playoffs deserve better. Hockey's overtime in the playoffs is perfect. Football's is now slightly less lame. In my opinion, at least. :D

In most sports, extra frames kick the excitement level up a notch. I've always felt like football's race to field goal range was a letdown from the action during regulation.

Agents: Cowboys cut Adams, Hamlin

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5050137

The Dallas Cowboys started the purge of some underachieving veterans by cutting starting left tackle Flozell Adams and free safety Ken Hamlin on Friday, according to the players' agents.

:clap: :clap:

Agents: Cowboys cut Adams, Hamlin

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5050137

The Dallas Cowboys started the purge of some underachieving veterans by cutting starting left tackle Flozell Adams and free safety Ken Hamlin on Friday, according to the players' agents.

:clap: :clap:

Wow. I never would have imagined Adams getting cut.