Patrick Elias: Where Does He Rank Among the NJ Devils Greats?

msweet

And you can make the exact same arguement for brodeur. I wonder how he would do if he played a majority of his career on a weak team or in the 80's. I would not be surprised if he would have similar stats to Vernon.

Brodeur has 6 top ten finishes in save percentage and plays for the biggest shot undercounters in the league. He's gotten some help from his defense, no doubt, but Brodeur was unquestionably a better goalie than Vernon. Whether or not anyone would've guessed that in 1995, I don't know, but I do know that Mike Vernon is colossally overrated.

Edited by Triumph

I know the basic argument for Stevens, I previously said he's a great choice. My only argument is how is there no way Elias could be argued - which is what you originally stated.

And as per my original posts in support of Elias...I completely disagree that Elias is not a once in a lifetime player.

I stand by my original statement. I would love to see Elias in the HOF, and think he deserves more credit than he'll ever get, but Stevens and Marty are a step ahead of anyone else in franchise history. Period. Elias may be a once in a lifetime Devil, but Elias is far from the only offensively talented forward who also knows how to back check. Again, I love him and think he's great, but he's not on that scary level of Stevens.