Bergfors Signs with Ak Bars Kazan (KHL)

DevilNurn

I was hoping that Bergy had learned from his past failures to expand his game. I though Barry Trotz demanding style would give Bergy the guidance that he ignored in the past. Too bad, a lot of potential, but no willingness to learn or listen.

Funny, I wonder what goes through a player like Bergfors' head when his NHL career (for now, at least) comes to an end like this.

I was lucky enough to speak to Merlin Malinowski (former Rocky and Devil) for a while about four years ago, and after he was traded from the Devils to the Whalers early in the '82-'83 season, he struggled mightily with the Whalers...badly enough (a -41) that they released him at the end of the season. And though he was only 24 and had shown potential at the NHL level before (62 points in 69 games during the '80-'81 season), his play was so poor that no one was willing to take a chance on him. He wound up playing in the Swiss leagues from 1983-90, and played quite well there, but never got another shot in the NHL. When I spoke to him I could hear the regret in his voice, that he wished he'd worked much harder on the shortcomings in his game (especially defensively) and had given more of himself as a player...he really seemed to lament his lost opportunity. He had been a second-round pick (27th overall) in 1978, with high expectations...he said he felt like he could have accomplished so much more if his attitude had been better.

• Like 1

Funny, I wonder what goes through a player like Bergfors' head when his NHL career (for now, at least) comes to an end like this.

I was lucky enough to speak to Merlin Malinowski (former Rocky and Devil) for a while about four years ago, and after he was traded from the Devils to the Whalers early in the '82-'83 season, he struggled mightily with the Whalers...badly enough (a -41) that they released him at the end of the season. And though he was only 24 and had shown potential at the NHL level before (62 points in 69 games during the '80-'81 season), his play was so poor that no one was willing to take a chance on him. He wound up playing in the Swiss leagues from 1983-90, and played quite well there, but never got another shot in the NHL. When I spoke to him I could hear the regret in his voice, that he wished he'd worked much harder on the shortcomings in his game (especially defensively) and had given more of himself as a player...he really seemed to lament his lost opportunity. He had been a second-round pick (27th overall) in 1978, with high expectations...he said he felt like he could have accomplished so much more if his attitude had been better.

Wow. Great story, CR! Thanks for sharing.

The Devils should put him on the payroll as a motivational speaker.

Awesome Story about the "Magic Man".

I was surprised how open he was about it. But very nice, down-to-earth, mellow guy...he coaches a junior hockey team now and he says his players always want to hear about life in the NHL, what was it like, etc.