GDT: Devils vs Rangers 3/6/12

snartly

RANGERS (42-15-7) at DEVILS (36-24-5)

TV: MSG 2, MSG PLUS

Last 10: New York 6-2-2; New Jersey 5-4-1

Season series: This is the fifth of six meetings between the cross-river rivals. The teams have split the season series. The Rangers scored a 2-0 victory on Feb. 27 when Henrik Lundqvist needed just 13 saves to notch his eighth shutout of the season and 43rd of his career. The teams have one final meeting March 19 at Madison Square Garden.

Big story: The Rangers won for the ninth time in 13 games on Sunday to move into first place in the NHL standings with 91 points following a 4-3 victory over the Boston Bruins. The Vancouver Canucks rank second with 90 points. New York increased its lead over Boston to 12 points in the Eastern Conference standings, while opening a 10-point gap over Pittsburgh for the Atlantic Division lead. The Devils, meanwhile, are sixth in the East with 77 points.

Team Scope:

Rangers: The Rangers defeated the Bruins for the fifth straight time, dating to last season, following a 4-3 victory on Sunday. Derek Stepan and Marian Gaborik both scored tiebreaking goals in the third period. Lundqvist made 30 saves to improve to 31-12-5 on the season. The Rangers are 20-5-2 in their last 27 games against the defending Stanley Cup champion Bruins and 16 of the last 20 meetings have been decided by one goal. New York is 10-4-2 in one-goal games against Boston over the span.

Devils: The Devils dropped a 1-0 decision to the New York Islanders on Sunday in the first of three meetings between the teams in a seven-day stretch. After meeting the Rangers, the Devils will again face the Islanders on Thursday in Newark and Saturday on Long Island. Martin Brodeur made 24 saves in the loss to the Islanders on Sunday. The Devils have won just once in their last six games and two of those losses have come via shutout.

Who's hot: Gaborik, who leads the team with 32 goals and 58 points, has recorded 24 points in his last 22 appearances. Lundqvist, meanwhile, is 11-2-1 with a 1.55 goals-against average, .943 save percentage and four shutouts in his last 14 games.

Injury report: The Devils were without left wing Alexei Ponikarovsky (right knee) and defenseman Andy Greene (back spasms) against the Islanders. Center Travis Zajac (left Achilles tendon) and defenseman Henrik Tallinder (blood clot) are out. … Rangers captain Ryan Callahan missed his third straight game (bruised foot) against the Bruins on Sunday and defenseman Michael Sauer (concussion) is out.

Stat pack: Devils forward Ilya Kovalchuk has gone nine games without a goal, but has produced 6 assists over that stretch. … Rangers' Stepan has tallied 4 goals and 12 points in the last 15 games, including 1 goal and 4 points over the last three contests.

Puck drop: The Rangers are 30-1-3 when scoring the first goal of the game. … The shorthanded goal by center Patrik Elias on Friday in a 5-0 victory over the Washington Capitals was the Devils' League-leading 14th of the season. They have also allowed a League-leading 13 shorthanded tallies.

Edited by snartly

Let's go boys. A win tonight ensures at least a split of the season series and maybe even some confidence if we meet them down the road....although at this point I'd like to watch the rags have to deal with the red hot Jets and their insane building/fans.

I'll be in sec 132.

Please win in regulation and stay healthy! I ask for nothing more.

Major pluses - win by more than one, get queen pulled, send some of their players to the locker room early (yes boulton and janssen i am looking at you to punch some of their faces in or deliver nice clean hard hits)

alright alright lets go boys. a win tonight would be HUGEEE... I don't want this team to get out of hand though, you can argue that Clarky did just that last game. Play them tough and play our game.

I'm sending some extra luck here with my 1,000th post. LETS GOOOOO!!!!

LGD :cheers:

Let's go boys. A win tonight ensures at least a split of the season series and maybe even some confidence if we meet them down the road....although at this point I'd like to watch the rags have to deal with the red hot Jets and their insane building/fans.

I'll be in sec 132.

I still think the Rangers are a bad playoff matchup for the Devils, even if the Devils finish the season series 4-2 against them. But I'll worry about that matchup when it actually happens.

I still think the Rangers are a bad playoff matchup for the Devils, even if the Devils finish the season series 4-2 against them. But I'll worry about that matchup when it actually happens.

I dont think the Rags are as bad a matchup as in years past. We definitely have the skill to beat them, its just getting a few past Lundqvist that's the problem

A few more shots and a few less passes in the offensive zone would be nice, too :)

Let's Go DEVILS!!!

we were really passing too much in the last game against the rags. i love the idea of making the extra pass but some players were forcing it instead of taking an open shot. LGD!!