UFC Thread

RockingTheRed81

I was surprised that one of these wasn't created already so i decided to start one. What did everyone think of UFC 100? Can UFC make become mainstream liek other sports? Who's looking forward to UFC 101? Who can beat Lesnar? What do you guys think?

I think Lesnar might be the guy to elevate this company into the mainstream.... he's got the legit training obviously... but the WWE stuff has also taught him how to be a SHOWMAN too... and this is what UFC needed and HAD to have to get to that next level...that guy that people can get behind and love or just HATE... in this cause it's the bad guy that no one can touch....

I hope it does...I have to admit MMA is fun to watch... I watch the WEC stuff all the time

I thought Lesnar proved that it is going to take a huge feat to take him out. He doesn't just win, he dominated. I mean, even when he lost, he was dominating that match. I look forward to a Couter rematch, and eventually, one day, the Fedor-Lesnar match Dana White is dreaming of. As much as White hated it, that post match promo is the stuff ratings are made of.

Also, the Bisbing knock out was the greatest thing I've seen since Gonzaga knocked out Crocop. They were touting Bisbing as 'never being knocked out' and Henderson unloaded on him.

I thought Lesnar proved that it is going to take a huge feat to take him out. He doesn't just win, he dominated. I mean, even when he lost, he was dominating that match. I look forward to a Couter rematch, and eventually, one day, the Fedor-Lesnar match Dana White is dreaming of. As much as White hated it, that post match promo is the stuff ratings are made of.

The only thing Dana White had to be mad about was Brocky crapped on the sponsors... the rest and Brock using a classic WWE Heel personna in the UFC... it's got MONEY written all over it... the next big thing has arrived... again!

The only thing Dana White had to be mad about was Brocky crapped on the sponsors... the rest and Brock using a classic WWE Heel personna in the UFC... it's got MONEY written all over it... the next big thing has arrived... again!

White also claims he isn't in to that whole scene. He doesn't like the unsportsmanship from Lesnar. But, honestly, it will make him a whole lot of money. Let White say whatever he wants about it, it just makes Brock look like more of a rebel.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

I'm not sure if Lesnar will work out. He is hated universally it seems by UFC fans, and if no one thinks he is going to lose, I'm not sure how much interest there will to watch him squash opponents, especially one that everyone hates.

UFC is different than WWE and I think a lot of the fans are too.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if Lesnar will work out. He is hated universally it seems by UFC fans, and if no one thinks he is going to lose, I'm not sure how much interest there will to watch him squash opponents, especially one that everyone hates.

it worka in boxing too... cases in point with Mayweather and even Tyson to an extent.... this is the kinda thing that sports is all about... people love to hate the super big guy on top, regardless of sport

I highly and completely disagree. A LOT of UFC/MMA's core audience are former wrestling fans, a lot of them still watch both.

People will watch just in the hopes of seeing Brock lose and that will get PPV buys. He was disliked since the moment he went to the UFC and he's even more disliked now. What they need now is a legit "good guy" heavyweight. I dunno if Fedor can be that because he's Russian.

Brock as a "heel" will bring even more bank to the UFC.

Dana did the right thing chastising him, but you know that he's over the moon right now.

Im looking forward to seeing Bobby Lashley get to the UFC. He's had a couple of fights in other promotions and is apparently picking it up as quickly as Brock did. I just hope they don't let him talk.

Brock is just too big and too driven to be beaten right now.

I'm not sure if your best bet attacking him is to test his chin or to try and catch his arm and lock on a submission. His ground game is unbeatable by anyone in UFC right now based on sheer size, and he'll get even scarier as the months pass. But if I recall correctly, he hasn't fought a knockout artist in the prime of their career yet, so I'd be interested in seeing that.

Or you could wait for him to try for the Shooting Star Press off the cage and choke him out when he falls on his head. :lol:

Will they rebroadcast UFC 100 on regular cable? If so, when and on what channel?

Really unlikely. The UFC uses DVDs to push reruns, just as the WWE does.

IMO it wasn't that good of a UFC. There were a few good fights, but even the Brock fight wasnt very good.

I highly and completely disagree. A LOT of UFC/MMA's core audience are former wrestling fans, a lot of them still watch both.

People will watch just in the hopes of seeing Brock lose and that will get PPV buys. He was disliked since the moment he went to the UFC and he's even more disliked now. What they need now is a legit "good guy" heavyweight. I dunno if Fedor can be that because he's Russian.

Brock as a "heel" will bring even more bank to the UFC.

Dana did the right thing chastising him, but you know that he's over the moon right now.

Im looking forward to seeing Bobby Lashley get to the UFC. He's had a couple of fights in other promotions and is apparently picking it up as quickly as Brock did. I just hope they don't let him talk.

IMO UFC is going to be much bigger than WWE in the future. I love WWE, but people want to see real fighting. UFC also does not repeat matches as often as WWE does (ex. Triple H vs. Orton). This ppv really helped push UFC more into the mainstream. It even got discussed on ESPN. But anyway how sick would Lesnar vs. Lashley be? You'd get WWE and UFC fans to buy it. White would love it

I think Fedor or Overeem would stand a chance against Brock. It'd just be a matter of signing them to the UFC. As far as people currently in the UFC go, maybe Shane Carwin?

Carwin is one of the few people that are Lesnar's size and as dominating. He is 11-0, and none of his matches have gone past the 1st round. I mean, this would be a hell of a match. Carwin is coming off a win over Gonzaga. He faces Cain Valezquez at UFC 104 in October, and the winner faces Lesnar.

IMO UFC is going to be much bigger than WWE in the future. I love WWE, but people want to see real fighting. UFC also does not repeat matches as often as WWE does (ex. Triple H vs. Orton). This ppv really helped push UFC more into the mainstream. It even got discussed on ESPN. But anyway how sick would Lesnar vs. Lashley be? You'd get WWE and UFC fans to buy it. White would love it

Disagree again.

UFC has a long way to go catching up to the WWE in two regards:

1. International business. The UFC has a lot more competition than WWE does overseas. UFC doesn't run in as nearly as many places as the WWE will go.

2. KIDS. This is the big one. UFC does not and will never cater to kids. WWE always has and always will. A WWE audience is far more diverse than an MMA one as well, you'll see all age groups represented in any WWE audience.

WWE is totally different ballgame. Its got more in common with Beverly Hills 90210 than it does UFC IMO. They can get away with HHH vs Orton 934 times because the belief is already suspended by most viewers. I dont watch wrestling for the same reasons I watch UFC. I watch WWE for the same reasons my wife will watch crappy soap operas.

What I do see happening is WWE being a bridge to the UFC, which is already in place. Meaning that kids who grow up watching WWE, will more than likely start watching MMA someday.

UFC is also a "real" sport, thats why it gets covered on mainstream sporting outlets. WWE is not. The WWE's "best" also "fight" on a weekly basis for the most part and they do so many more dates than UFC. Its not like UFC where the champs only fight every few months, the exposure a UFC star gets is a lot less than say a Triple H or John Cena, amongst others, even if a major UFC fight gets some notoriety on ESPN once in a while. Cena is on TV at least once or twice a week and on PPV once a month.

What the UFC needs is more drama, not scripted like WWE, but real drama, like what Lesnar did the other night. That gets people involved and interested, same as w/ major championship boxing. Ali was the greatest not just because of in-ring, but because of his mouth.

Edited by ghdi

Personally I've always seen the UFC as the evolution and replacement for what boxing is, the concept is similar except you use more then just your fists to pummel your opponent and it's what I like much about it

but I am drawn to sports that are violent :P

What I do see happening is WWE being a bridge to the UFC, which is already in place. Meaning that kids who grow up watching WWE, will more than likely start watching MMA someday.

UFC is also a "real" sport, thats why it gets covered on mainstream sporting outlets. WWE is not. The WWE's "best" also "fight" on a weekly basis for the most part and they do so many more dates than UFC. Its not like UFC where the champs only fight every few months, the exposure a UFC star gets is a lot less than say a Triple H or John Cena, amongst others, even if a major UFC fight gets some notoriety on ESPN once in a while. Cena is on TV at least once or twice a week and on PPV once a month.

What the UFC needs is more drama, not scripted like WWE, but real drama, like what Lesnar did the other night. That gets people involved and interested, same as w/ major championship boxing. Ali was the greatest not just because of in-ring, but because of his mouth.

Ah your right. I completely forgot about overseas and the children audience. Also i have to agree with your point that WWE will be a bridge for UFC and that UFC needs more drama

I think Fedor or Overeem would stand a chance against Brock. It'd just be a matter of signing them to the UFC. As far as people currently in the UFC go, maybe Shane Carwin?

Carwin is one of the few people that are Lesnar's size and as dominating. He is 11-0, and none of his matches have gone past the 1st round. I mean, this would be a hell of a match. Carwin is coming off a win over Gonzaga. He faces Cain Valezquez at UFC 104 in October, and the winner faces Lesnar.

Lesnar is a much better wrestler in my estimation, but Carwin has more knockout power. If it goes to the ground I would think Brock would win rather easily, but if Carwin would knock him out standing up.

Lesnar is a much better wrestler in my estimation, but Carwin has more knockout power. If it goes to the ground I would think Brock would win rather easily, but if Carwin would knock him out standing up.

True, very few people can out-wrestle Lesnar. Could make for a classic battle. Of course, Carwin has to beat Valezquez first.

Its kinda funny how some of you neglect Brock's striking ability. The dude has frozen hams for fists. I thinkknow he could stand toe to toe with anyone in the UFC right now.

Fedor is his best matched opponent because of his expertise with sambo, which is a great technique with big guys.

I do kung-fu (Baguazhang), have for a while now, and I hate sparring with good sambo practitioners :( I have no MMA desire whatsoever though, I use it more for fitness and to be the occasional badass when necessary as my circle dance is quite good!

Carwin has much better boxing skills. That's not to say that Brock is terrible (actually during the Mir fight his stand up WAS pretty terrible), but his primary assets are his size and wrestling ability. He doesn't look *good* standing up, which is why someone like Carwin or Overeem would have a chance.

edit: Fedor's best shot is striking, too. He's a great fighter, but he's ALWAYS had the most trouble against technically skilled wrestlers. Brock is a very, very good wrestler, and would probably win on the ground. He'll be guarding against the armbar that took out Randleman, I'm sure.

Edited by Nature's Minister

Its kinda funny how some of you neglect Brock's striking ability. The dude has frozen hams for fists. I thinkknow he could stand toe to toe with anyone in the UFC right now.

Fedor is his best matched opponent because of his expertise with sambo, which is a great technique with big guys.

I do kung-fu (Baguazhang), have for a while now, and I hate sparring with good sambo practitioners :( I have no MMA desire whatsoever though, I use it more for fitness and to be the occasional badass when necessary as my circle dance is quite good!

I didn't mean to neglect, I just think Brock would prefer a match on the ground against a good striker. He was something like 107-5 as a college wrestler. Amazing. The man has dominated even when losing. I'd love to see someone give him a good match.

• 2 weeks later...

UFC 101...its 8 days away so lets get some predictions on the matches. Who's gonna win the two main even fights? B.J. Penn or Kenny Florian? Forrest Griffin or Anderson Silva?...im thinkin Penn and Griffin

Edited by RockingTheRed81