The Goaltending Situation Moving Forward This Season

devilsrule33

Brodeur vs Hedberg  

74 members have voted

1. 1. How should the goaltending situation be solved in the second-half of the season

• Status Quo
    • Let Hedberg have a chance to run with it. His play has earned it
    • Let Marty have a chance to run with it. His career has earned it
    • Go with the hot hand.

The NYR thing and Lundqvist is all a bunch of hype. First of all, no one expected NYR to be tops in the league before the season started. Second, because NYR is in first and they're a New York team, the more talk, the more money. It's like the Yankees. Before they began to win World Series' again, I hardly saw any Yankees stuff. After the Yankees won, all I saw was Yankees stuff. If the Devils were frist overall, it wouldn't be a big deal, but since it's a New York team, it's a big big deal.

New York City has 4 teams that play within their city limits with another 3 that have "New York" in their name and 1 more on the way. That is 8 "New York" teams to choose from so it is easy for them to go with whichever team is winning. A lot of cities do not have that many to choose from.

During the 80's NYC was very much a Mets city and the 86 World Series is still often talked about today as much, if not more than the 94 Rangers Cup.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To expand on this, Lundqvist being a strict butterfly goalie (with rumored knee problems) means he probably won't be playing at a high level until he's 40. The knees and hips can't take that kind of beating forever, especially playing 70 games a year. Lundqvist probably grabs a Vezina (or has a few close calls) in the next 3-4 years, but then you may see a decline start.

Came here to post this. Agree 100%

About the most wins in a season, that happened when shootout wins counted so there is always that gray area regarding that. However, if Lundqvist (or any other future goalie) does get 49 wins one year, he will run into that same issue too so it kinda balances out.

I never put too much emphasis about most wins in a season when I talk about Brodeur because of this issue.

Win totals in this era are going to be bloated because of the shootout...but at least the shootout by its design allows the "winning" goalie to have to earn his win. Yeah, I didn't make all that much of Marty's 48-win season either...it was nice,

One thing I was very happy about is that Brodeur was able to beat Roy's all-time win record, even with the shootout wins taken out...take out his 39 shootout wins, and Marty still has 605 wins lifetime.

Win totals in this era are going to be bloated because of the shootout...but at least the shootout by its design allows the "winning" goalie to have to earn his win. Yeah, I didn't make all that much of Marty's 48-win season either...it was nice,

One thing I was very happy about is that Brodeur was able to beat Roy's all-time win record, even with the shootout wins taken out...take out his 39 shootout wins, and Marty still has 605 wins lifetime.

Exactly. 605 wins is still 54 wins ahead of Roy and growing. That is still a couple of solid seasons worth of wins by great goaltenders to get so the margin is still quite big.

Not to go OT, but I always thought the Mets, Islanders and Jets were more blue collar favorites and that the Rags, Giants and Yankees were more for the hip and trendy.

Depends on how you look at it and who you are a fan of. I would def not call the bleacher creatures for the yanks "white collar" by any means.

Not to go OT, but I always thought the Mets, Islanders and Jets were more blue collar favorites and that the Rags, Giants and Yankees were more for the hip and trendy.

I'll admit I started following the Giants because most of my friends are Giants fans and also due to the fact my team (The Miami Dolphins) suck ass. The Yankees I started following in 1990, the Blue Jays were owning it back then and my favorite player was Jimmy Key, so no bandwagon there.

The amount of Ranger fans I'm hearing from now is unbelievable and most of them are girls.