5-on-5 Overtime

Vic Rattlehead18

Maybe this doesn't deserve it's own thread. But I think it got lost in the GDT. Here's what I noticed.

the 3rd ended with a 4 on 3 as we all know. when the first pair of penalties expired, the first two guys in the box (nj-carter, ot-winchester) came out, carter went straight to the bench to keep the devils at 4 men, winchester went to the play making it a 4 on 4 with the devils on the power play for about 10 seconds. Then karlsson comes out of the box (and a breakaway) and makes it 5 on 4. Then the devils send out a 5th guy. And they played that way for a few minutes, even with multiple line changes. Then, after the whistle, when they were changing lines i saw the ref wiggling 4 fingers at the ottawa coach when he tried to send 5 guys out again. you could tell the players for both teams were confused at first, hoping on and off the bench but then just started playing 5 on 5.

OT started 4 on 3, which probably lead to the confusion, techincally it should have been 3-on-2 but they can't play 2 men. I've never seen this scenario happen. Maybe it's in the rules? I thought winchester going into the play should have been a penalty for too many men since devils were on the powerplay on the clock but even strength on the ice.

84.3 Overtime – Regular-season – Penalties – When regulation time ends and the teams are 5 on 3, teams will start overtime 5 on 3. Once player strength reaches 5 on 4 or 5 on 5, at the next stoppage of play, player strength is adjusted to 4 on 3 or 4 on 4, as appropriate.

When regulation ends and teams are 4 on 4 teams will start overtime 3 on 3.

If at the end of regulation time teams are three (3) skaters on three (3) skaters, overtime starts three (3) skaters on three (3) skaters. Once player strength reaches five (5) skaters on four (4) skaters or five (5) skaters on five (5) skaters, at the next stoppage player strength is adjusted to four (4) skaters on three (3) skaters or four (4) skaters on four (4) skaters, as appropriate.

At no time will a team have less than three players on the ice. This may require a fifth skater to be added if a two-man advantage occurs.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26498

Edited by Vic Rattlehead18

Like I said in the game thread, no one there aside from the ref and players had any idea wtf was going on.. It was kinda funny looking back on it

actually, I knew EXACTLY what was going on, not to insult anyone, but I knew exactly why there were 5 aside.

I was actually humiliated that our fans only counted white shirts and not the red ones too. The chants of "too many men" from the corner was a joke.

I get how some people didn't understand why we had 5 on 5, rules are rules and its a rare occurrence, but to be screaming for a penalty when we're even numbered was dumb.

actually, I knew EXACTLY what was going on, not to insult anyone, but I knew exactly why there were 5 aside.

I was actually humiliated that our fans only counted white shirts and not the red ones too. The chants of "too many men" from the corner was a joke.

I get how some people didn't understand why we had 5 on 5, rules are rules and its a rare occurrence, but to be screaming for a penalty when we're even numbered was dumb.

To be honest, I only counted the red ones at first and was like "We're gonna get called!!!....Ok why haven't we gotten called?"

I had a guy in my section that wouldn't stop screaming at the refs about it. Me and another guy both yelled at him that 5 was the proper amount of guys and that prompted him to keep yelling at the refs and to tell each of us how stupid we both were not to know how overtime works.

To be honest, I only counted the red ones at first and was like "We're gonna get called!!!....Ok why haven't we gotten called?"

my initial reaction was this, no doubt, then i immediately counted 5 white and went "oh yeah the roughing calls." guys in front of me both said "ah makes sense" in unison, and they're weren't attending together. lol

in the beginning of it i was real pissed and yelled... then realized and stopped haha... just wasnt paying 100% attention and said... oh wait

we had 2 penalties, and then came the 5v5... oh well haha live and learn

operative word, stopped. you weren't the idiots chanting and booing for the non-call.

simple math people!! haha

operative word, stopped. you weren't the idiots chanting and booing for the non-call.

simple math people!! haha

yeaa haha took me a bit...and i know Hockey

ALOT of people were yelling/upset cuz they didn't see it either... its not really a normal thing to see 5v5 OT, so understandably, people were confused

It's funny when people who don't know the rules are so confident that they are right. I was scorekeeping a game a few weeks ago at work and a goal was scored during a 4 on 4 situation and some tool was making an ass of himself screaming to let his son out of the box. :doh1:

Edited by devilsfan26