Parise vs. Kariya

PutTheForkDown

Not exactly sure who Parise reminds me of. I like the Verbeek and MacLean comparisons. I do not agree at all about Bure though. Totally different type of player. Bure was very fast, very smooth, great puckhandler but a chronic cherry picker. Bure and Mogliny reminded me of each other. Bure and Mogilny were snipers. Parise is less of a pure goal scorer but a more well rounded player....IMO.

GO DEVILS!!

Not sure of many will remember this guy, but Parise is pretty much a copy of Brian Bellows. Size, skating style, tenacity around the net, able to handle the puck in traffic, tireless worker around the boards....

Interesting, his best days were before my time. I remember him in Montreal on the cup run. He was a trivia answer to the youngest captain in NHL history. Very underated player in Minnesota.

Another comparison people won't like is Jason Blake when playing well.

I like Kariya for a comparison, but I don't see Bure. And he has a lot of assists, but they're a different kind of assists than Bure's, and even from Elias' for that matter.

Let's take a couple of the last few games for an example. This is an Elias assist:

The video is crap, but he creates the play, shovels the puck over and makes a play which isn't very threatening and makes a play for a player who, admittedly, isn't all that threatening (Gionta), into a dangerous one.

This is a Parise assist:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8459457

(Click the play button on the video on the page)

He gets behind the net, does the dirty work, shovels it to Langenbrunner and makes good of the power play and the threatening play in general.

I think there are PLENTY of counter-examples for both of them, and in a lot of ways, Elias and Parise may end up being similar players. But in terms of the Bure comparison, the Bure playmaker and the Parise playmaker are two totally different animals.

Admittedly, I can't find a direct comparison for Parise, partly because I'm still pretty young and haven't been paying very close attention to hockey for more than four years or so. A lot of the way he plays reminds me of Gionta's remarkable 05-06, except on a more consistent basis. I can't find a player who's just like Parise, but all I know is he's damn good and works damn well with our system. He's no Bure. He might be a Kariya. Who knows.

I saw someone here mention it ealier and it was the only thing that comes to mind with notorious players and that was the comparison to Gionta's amazing post-lockout year. Gionta was playing exactly the same as Parise is this year in that he found the soft spots in down low coverage and capitalized on the rebounds that came out. they both had relentless forechecking and outbattled anyone they went up against. Both were able to beat goalies with a shot but it was generally more about in tight plays and shot placement rather than over-powering goalies which is why I don't like most of the allstar player comparisons because a VAST majority of those Kariya, Bure, Zetterburg, etc, etc. all had incredible shots and really only used there other skills to get in a positiion to fire the puck.

The other good comparison to a player your girlfriend might know better is the st. louise comparison again marty has a slightly better shot perhaps, but I think the allstar game showed as well that Parise has a very similar game to St. Louise and you could tell by how seemlessly he fit in with that line there. obviously to base it off of one allstar game would be rediculous, but if you watch some tampa games you will see that he generally does the same thing as Parise most notably slipping out of coverage and into soft spots down low to fire pucks from below the arc across the hashmarks along with ceaseless forechecking and those are the real hallmarks to Parise's game.

I saw someone here mention it ealier and it was the only thing that comes to mind with notorious players and that was the comparison to Gionta's amazing post-lockout year. Gionta was playing exactly the same as Parise is this year in that he found the soft spots in down low coverage and capitalized on the rebounds that came out. they both had relentless forechecking and outbattled anyone they went up against. Both were able to beat goalies with a shot but it was generally more about in tight plays and shot placement rather than over-powering goalies which is why I don't like most of the allstar player comparisons because a VAST majority of those Kariya, Bure, Zetterburg, etc, etc. all had incredible shots and really only used there other skills to get in a positiion to fire the puck.

The other good comparison to a player your girlfriend might know better is the st. louise comparison again marty has a slightly better shot perhaps, but I think the allstar game showed as well that Parise has a very similar game to St. Louise and you could tell by how seemlessly he fit in with that line there. obviously to base it off of one allstar game would be rediculous, but if you watch some tampa games you will see that he generally does the same thing as Parise most notably slipping out of coverage and into soft spots down low to fire pucks from below the arc across the hashmarks along with ceaseless forechecking and those are the real hallmarks to Parise's game.

Good post, good points - I would personally say that St. Louis is closer to a bure or kariya type player, because he relies pretty heavily on his overwhelming bursts of speed and blistering shot. But you know what, they are all their own players with their own games. Its just nice to have a forward on the Devils that we can even compare to guys like this.

I don't love the Gionta comparison because he has never been able to create for himself (and others) as well as Zach. I have no love for Gomez, but Gio always did his best work when Gomez was playing well. This year, if Elias has struggled, so has Gio. Parise makes everyone around him better, and even when he's slumping (the past week), he's still getting assists. Nobody made plays like Gio in 05-06, but he needed some help getting started.

How about Theo fleury sans the attitude?

Both gritty players not afraid to get their hands dirty both put up similar amount of points over their first 4 season (Theo 277 Zach 247 (so far)) ??

Both have a pretty similar projection to their career early on as well, supposed to be to small to play in the NHL, but made up for lack of stature with good leadership scoring ability and sound defensive work as well as being tireless and giving 110%.