We now have the 30th pick

Marshall

They gave up a 1st round pick to make that happen.  I don't really see a problem with it and think that a similar trade would go through today.

Yeah, I just looked at it. I guess with Fahey thrown it it really doesn't look too bad.

The trade itself was questionable, but it was getting Malahkov off the cap that season which raised flags to? Leave of absense, retirement, suspension, scare tactics? I don't think we ever found out exactly what happened, but it was convenient. 

I didn't even mention a healthy Matvichuk hanging out on LTIR the next season.

Hey hey hey... Matvichuk had a very very bad case of the Lou flu... very similar to what Janssen had before the Salvador trade and Larsson had earlier this year.

The trade itself was questionable, but it was getting Malahkov off the cap that season which raised flags to? Leave of absense, retirement, suspension, scare tactics? I don't think we ever found out exactly what happened, but it was convenient. 

I didn't even mention a healthy Matvichuk hanging out on LTIR the next season.

The Devils could've demoted him and accomplished the same thing - remember, a 35+ contract's onerousness doesn't kick in until the 2nd year of the deal.  The first year, you're fine.  Anyway, his ice time kept going down and as I recall he was pretty bad, so odds are Lou told him he was going to be waived and Malakhov said screw you I made $20 million in my NHL career, I don't need this.

Even if the punishment was for holding the press conference, I still don't see why it wouldn't have been enough for the league to just reject the contract.

They wanted to make an example of them. I guess with the collective bargaining agreement running out soon, they wanted to curb the crazy deals and the Kovy one was the most ridiculous to date.

Even if the punishment was for holding the press conference, I still don't see why it wouldn't have been enough for the league to just reject the contract.

DD56 pretty much already answered it, but Lou couldn't have possibly taken more of a "Oh yeah?  I triple dog dare ya!" approach.  If he had made the announcement in a more low-key way, the league might not have come down as hard on him, but with the press conference, it was SO belligerent and SO arrogant, almost bordering on obnoxious...truly the equivalent of Lou giving Bettman the middle finger and shaking it in his face...especially with Lou having been told not to do it.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

DD56 pretty much already answered it, but Lou couldn't have possibly taken more of a "Oh yeah?  I triple dog dare ya!" approach.  If he had made the announcement in a more low-key way, the league might not have come down as hard on him, but with the press conference, it was SO belligerent and SO arrogant, almost bordering on obnoxious...truly the equivalent of Lou giving Bettman the middle finger and shaking it in his face...especially with Lou having been told not to do it.     

Do you think Lou should have quit instead of following Vanderbeek's direction to save his reputation?.

Is Lou the greatest troll ever?

Lou had nothing to do with this, he would have taken his wounds and licked them, This is not about Lou.  This was the new owners asking for a review with Vanderbeek gone.

This was an accommodation to the new owners by the NHL. If Vanderbeek was still there, no change.

“There’s no question we’re pleased with the decision by the league,” :Lamoriello said. “The appeal for reconsideration was made by new ownership and there was a hearing and the decision was made today.” - See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice#sthash.YMlMAmpc.dpuf

So, people can go batsh!t crazy towards the new ownership over the song/chant but i don't see anyone giving Harris and Blitzer any sort of credit at all for doing this and taking the initiative. So much for they don't care. 

Edited by TheRedStorm
  • Like 1

Do you think Lou should have quit instead of following Vanderbeek's direction to save his reputation?.

The whole situation was odd.  Lou always has a pretty solid finger on the pulse of the league...it's how he was able to get Stevens when most people thought it would never happen.  I've got to think Lou would've stood firm against VBK (if he was the one pressing for the deal at all costs) and said something along the lines of "Look, if you want to give Kovy a lifetime deal, fine, I'll do it, but the league is ready to come down on us if they don't like the way it's structured.  They've already said as much."  No way VBK would've canned him over that.  I could be wrong, but I think Lou simply thought he could challenge the league on this one (probably because contracts somewhat like Kovy's had been approved) and win. 

So, people can go batsh!t crazy towards the new ownership over the song/chant but i don't see anyone giving Harris and Blitzer any sort of credit at all for doing this and taking the initiative. So much for they don't care.

Spot on. The hate the new owners get is outright insane

i still believe that press conference was 95% JVB. i don't think lou gave the middle finger to betteman at all. lou repeatedly said it was an ownership decision and contract and that he thought loophole contracts were a bad idea.

it was a punishment to JVB, not Lou. And Harris and his $ got a favor done.

the 29th pick wasn't because lou knew he'd get this back. it was a mistake and luckily, events transpired (sale of team, kovy not being present in the league) to make this palatable to change.

lou is not off the hook for the 29th pick - it was a mistake. THE END.

Speaking of which, I didn't realize just how poorly they have drafted until I looked at their draft history:

251 total picks since 1988

143 picks have never played in an NHL game (57%)

193 picks have played 0-100 total NHL games (77%)

222 picks have played 0-400 total NHL games (88%)

Since 1996, these are the only players with 400+ NHL games played (essentially 5 seasons):

Zajac (2004)

Parise (2003)

P. Martin (2000)

Rupp (2000)

Commodore (1999)

Gomez (1998)

B. Gionta (1998)

C. White (1996)

W. Mitchell (1996)

To be fair, a drafted player is never a guarantee. NHL players to play 400+ games drafted since 1996: (tampa... yikes)

Buffalo: 19

San Jose: 18

Ottawa: 17

Pittsburgh: 15

Los Angeles: 14

New York I: 14

Anaheim: 13

Boston: 13

Edmonton: 13

Montreal: 13

Calgary: 12

Chicago: 12

Colorado: 12

Toronto: 12

Washington: 11

Atlanta/Winnipeg: 10

Nashville: 10 (since 1998)

Vancouver: 10

New Jersey: 9

Carolina/Hartford: 9

New York R: 9

Dallas: 9

Florida: 9

Philadelphia: 9

Phoenix: 9

Detroit: 8

St Louis: 8

Columbus: 7 (only since 2000)

Minnesota: 7 (since 2000)

Tampa Bay: 4

Edited by Devil Dan 56

True that.  This is apparently all thanks to them - big time props to the new owners.

My favorite tweet of the day:

Lou Lamoriello gets McDonald's breakfast at 5pm.

Edited by Devilsfan118

You don't think it's a bit of a stretch trying to connect those 2 things just for the sake of being inflammatory?

• Like 1

i still believe that press conference was 95% JVB. i don't think lou gave the middle finger to betteman at all. lou repeatedly said it was an ownership decision and contract and that he thought loophole contracts were a bad idea.

it was a punishment to JVB, not Lou.

If this is true, I can only imagine what Lou must've said to VBK after this blew up.  Probably something along the lines of "Thanks a lot a$$hole, you just made my job a lot friggin' harder than it needed to be.  Oh by the way, we still haven't signed Kovy yet!"    

So, people can go batsh!t crazy towards the new ownership over the song/chant but i don't see anyone giving Harris and Blitzer credit for doing this and taking the initiative. So much for they don't care. 

You have to give them credit.  While I haven't agreed with all of the new ownership/management's decisions since they took over, I don't think anyone feels that they don't care.  This team and arena is a major investment, even for billionaires.  They certainly care about the success of both and appear willing to be hands in getting things done on based upon Lou's comments. 

I was at the game on Tuesday and got to sit in a luxury box.  At one point, I saw Lou in the hallway outside his box when Blitzer walked up and addressed him as "Mr. Lamoriello" and asked him how everything was going that day.   You can tell there is a lot of respect there.

I know this is off topic, but I wasn't at he state of the team address.  For those that attended, can they share any interesting tid bits that were discussed, if there were any to begin with.

You don't think it's a bit of a stretch trying to connect those 2 things just for the sake of being inflammatory?

Not at all. There's nothing inflammatory about it unless someone makes it as such. It's an observation, pure and simple. And it's valid.

• Like 1

This has nothing to do with Kovalchuk going to the KHL.  Nothing at all.  Remember, the penalty is for the first contract.

I don't agree. There are a few factors. New ownership is one and Kovy going to Russia is the other. If one or the other doesn't happen I think the penalty likely stands. Remember that the NHL (Bettman) is essentially taking a big of egg on their faces by doing this and Bettman just isn't that willing to admit error. As others have pointed out I think this does have to do with Kovy leaving the team and explains why LL didn't fight Kovy over his departure. LL has torn apart players in arbitration to save a few bucks in the past and I don't see any reason why he wouldn't throw a rod and try to hold Kovy to his contract unless he had gained something behind the scenes. OTOH, the new ownership surely helped this along. Again, as others have pointed out, VBK wasn't the most popular owner deapite what were good intentions IMHO.

To be fair, a drafted player is never a guarantee. NHL players to play 400+ games drafted since 1996: (tampa... yikes)

Pittsburgh: 15

Los Angeles: 14

Anaheim: 13

Boston: 13

Chicago: 12

Colorado: 12

New Jersey: 9

Carolina/Hartford: 9

Dallas: 9

Detroit: 8

Tampa Bay: 4

And meanwhile, this list is barely correlated with actual success, as both NJ and Detroit are near the bottom, yet are by far the two most consistently good franchises in the league since 1996.  A few Dolphins fans tried to make a similar argument that the Dolphins have been better at drafting than New England and Green Bay based on the number of roster players they actually drafted.  It's true only so far as it goes. 

And meanwhile, this list is barely correlated with actual success, as both NJ and Detroit are near the bottom, yet are by far the two most consistently good franchises in the league since 1996. A few Dolphins fans tried to make a similar argument that the Dolphins have been better at drafting than New England and Green Bay based on the number of roster players they actually drafted. It's true only so far as it goes.

To play devil's advocate NJ had some impressive undrafted UFA like Madden, Rafalski, Greene and Clarkson

Pittsburgh: 15 *

Los Angeles: 14 *

Anaheim: 13 *

Boston: 13 *

Chicago: 12 **

Colorado: 12 **

New Jersey: 9 **

Carolina/Hartford: 9 *

Dallas: 9 *

Detroit: 8 ****

Tampa Bay: 4 *

There doesn't seem to be much correlation between draft success and winning the cup at a quick glance, but 6 of the last 7 cups were won by teams in the top half of the list. It's a lot easier to build a team when you don't have to give up assets to fill your NHL roster.

There doesn't seem to be much correlation between draft success and winning the cup at a quick glance, but 6 of the last 7 cups were won by teams in the top half of the list. It's a lot easier to build a team when you don't have to give up assets to fill your NHL roster.

For something like this winning the Cup is irrelevant. Boston is on that list and Vancouver is not, by virtue of one game. That has nothing to do with how well either team has drafted. Pittsburgh and Chicago are on that list largely by virtue of being bad at the right times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really starting to believe that before game 6 of the 1994 ECF, Bettman went to Lou, told him the team should take a dive, and that it would be made up to him as long as he remained the GM. 

were always discussing how Kovy leaving was some type of set up; wish there were some information on it other than pure speculation.

unless this post was a joke, either way this is some good hockey god karma

Edited by lazer

were always discussing how Kovy leaving was some type of set up; wish there were some information on it other than pure speculation.

unless this post was a joke, either way this is some hockey god karma

Yes I was being facetious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk