GDT: New Jersey Devils @ New Yawk Islanders

Coorslight

Or they actually get more depth at RW besides Clarkson.

He's playing with a RW. Zubrus can play any position. They had a rush with each other that was an utter mess because they're both on their wrong-sides, shooting wise. I don't know if I see the benefit, since it's no longer being done to conform to Parise's game.

He's playing with a RW. Zubrus can play any position. They had a rush with each other that was an utter mess because they're both on their wrong-sides, shooting wise. I don't know if I see the benefit, since it's no longer being done to conform to Parise's game.

I just assumed he was moving back to LW before camp bc that guy in Minnesota left adn then boom he wasn't. It's not like they have a trove of LW's and wouldn't be able to fit him there

Thought we controlled the game well from the off last night. They moved the puck around well and most of the time were quick to shut down the Islanders' attack. Matteau had a great debut, he's got a good future with the Devils. Apart from the great chance in the first, I though Tedenby looked a bit out of it; just didn't quite get into it as much as he could have but he has some good skates on him so will hopefully see more of him this season. Here's to the first 2 points of the season and long may it continue!

Up The Devils

I thought Tallinder had a very strong game, good transition, good stretch passes all night. Well deserved assist and plus 2 on the night.

He did have a terrible play when he whiffed on a hit at the blueline, and then hooked/slashed the player leading to a penalty where the Isles scored. That was out of character a bit.

Why not? He didn't do anything wrong, nor has he in his progressively larger sample size. He was solid on the PK, his line established a solid forecheck, he has chemistry with Bernier and Carter, and he won a huge faceoff at the end. I see him as a below average 3rd liner or an elite 4th liner, but I see no reason he can't play decent NHL minutes.

He's neither. I haven't finished looking at the playoffs, but through two rounds, Gionta was at 43% Fenwick. Now I know DeBoer didn't protect them at all, but I can't imagine it gets better as the playoffs move along.

I think it's for defense/transition reasons.

First, I wanna say the tailgate was amazing. There were hundreds of Devils fans drinking and having a good time. Everyone was in a great mood and just so happy hockey was back.

The game was a bit sloppy as one might expect. Lots of passes in the skates and fumbling of the puck. I thought our top line looked very strong. Kovy and Zajac work well together. I gotta say I was impressed Tedenby. He was decent defensively and created a lot of offense. Good to see Marty start off well. He's the key to our playoff hopes.

All in all I feel that we controlled the game

great to have hockey back! even ugly hockey lol

Greene is just rusty so relax, volch is DONE -TOAST, he's a door stop do we keep him strickly for the P kill?

good job by our #1 line vs theirs for most of the game!

the old 4th liners were strong again

patty looks good with the two head cases!

Kovy isnt the same explosive player we signed for 100 mil! watch the gap he gets from the D-man now

still a great player. even smarter but that burst is gone

He's neither. I haven't finished looking at the playoffs, but through two rounds, Gionta was at 43% Fenwick. Now I know DeBoer didn't protect them at all, but I can't imagine it gets better as the playoffs move along.

Man you really are a slave to the Fenwick, lol.

I have to admit, I would've loved to have not cared about yesterday's game. But as the day went on, the excitement built up. I took my daughter went to a birthday party, and I wound up talking to a Flyers and Rangers fan...both were actually very cool. Talking hockey clearly was getting us all psyched up for another season. Once 7:00 rolled around, I watched every last minute. And enjoyed it all. And got the excitement back. And got the passion back. It was like it never went away. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing...I just know I couldn't help myself one bit. Now matter how much the boneheads in charge show how little they care about both its fanbase and its product, they product is just so damned compelling that we can't help but come back.

Still not going to any games in person this year, but I sure will be watching as often as I can. NHL hockey completes me...damn you Gary Bettman! Damn you all to hell!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I have to admit, I would've loved to have not cared about yesterday's game. But as the day went on, the excitement built up. I took my daughter went to a birthday party, and I wound up talking to a Flyers and Rangers fan...both were actually very cool. Talking hockey clearly was getting us all psyched up for another season. Once 7:00 rolled around, I watched every last minute. And enjoyed it all. And got the excitement back. And got the passion back. It was like it never went away. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing...I just know I couldn't help myself one bit. Now matter how much the boneheads in charge show how little they care about both its fanbase and its product, they product is just so damned compelling that we can't help but come back.

Still not going to any games in person this year, but I sure will be watching as often as I can. NHL hockey completes me...damn you Gary Bettman! Damn you all to hell!

I know how you feel, man. I didn't even have anyone around me to really get me extra jacked up. No one in my new neck of the woods gives half a crap about hockey. But what built the tension for me was the drama with NHL GameCenter Live (my only way to see Devils games) not working properly. First the PS3 app isn't working, even though they sent out emails saying everyone'd be able to watch the Saturday games. Then it turns out the Sony people dropped the ball and didn't bother programming the app because they figured the season would be cancelled. Then the fallback, the GCL page on NHL.com, isn't working properly. Then it's working, but sllllloooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwllllllllyyyyyyy. Gametime comes around and I remember the Center Ice free preview, which only broadcast the game in SD, but hey, it's better than nothing!

Stupid NHL. Making me earn my Devils hockey. It fired my ass up right away. It wasn't ideal, having to listen to Howie Rose continue to butcher Elias's name, and having the tease of possibly hearing him call out Matteau's name and have it be a good thing. But I got to watch the boys shake off some rust, and all felt right in the universe once again.

Also still not gonna attend any games this year. But I'll watch the hell out of them on TV and maybe once or twice from a Newark bar.

I was the same way. I wanted to avoid the game as much as possible but I couldn't resist just taking in five minutes of it. Well, five mins was all that was needed to draw me in for good. I watched every second and loved it again. Great to see all the devils fans at the game come thru loud on tv!

Also, I think we will be fine without Parise. We have a good team thats well coached with excellent defense and good goaltending.

Edited by devlman

I was the same way. I wanted to avoid the game as much as possible but I couldn't resist just taking in five minutes of it. Well, five mins was all that was needed to draw me in for good. I watched every second and loved it again. Great to see all the devils fans at the game come thru loud on tv!

Also, I think we will be fine without Parise. We have a good team thats well coached with excellent defense and good goaltending.

If Tedenby keeps playing like that, JJ can stay healthy and Cam will be permanently benched when Henrique comes back, then I don't think we'll have a problem with at least getting into the playoffs if we would've anyway

you sound a little too comfortable.. im not ok with just saying we're gonna be fine like we are. if last night's game is against a team other than the isles, theres a good chance we don't get the two points.

you sound a little too comfortable.. im not ok with just saying we're gonna be fine like we are. if last night's game is against a team other than the isles, theres a good chance we don't get the two points.

While I share your unease I think we looked pretty good yesterday. The Devils have typically gotten off to a slow start. The forecheck was there and so was the hustle. Mind you we didn't have Henrique last night. Hell, even Janssen looked decent.

Detroit is in defensive peril right now. I wonder what they would be willing to give us for Volchenkov.

Edited by CarpathianForest

While I share your unease I think we looked pretty good yesterday. The Devils have typically gotten off to a slow start. The forecheck was there and so was the hustle. Mind you we didn't have Henrique last night. Hell, even Janssen looked decent.

Detroit is in defensive peril right now. I wonder what they would be willing to give us for Volchenkov.

Volchenkov has an NTC.

Also, if he's a bad as everyone here seems to think, a well run team like Detroit isn't going to give you very much for him.

If you want someone to give you a non-rental top six forward, Merrill or Larsson has to be in that package.

Edited by Daniel