Official 2011 New York Mets Thread

NJDevs4978

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bay is just clueless right now. I've seen plenty of him before...he's not this bad and will come around. But when he's off he looks awful.

I love how Mather got all the calls from this ump who promptly starts squeezing Pelfrey.

Edited by '7'

It's over...the Mets scratched and clawed out a victory today. Props to everybody who took the mound today except K-Rod(and to Jerry for letting him pitch to Molina). As well as we pitched I just can't get it out of my head how anemic the offense looked. You've got to flat out TATTOO position players on the mound.

Well, finally, its over. That was... I don't even know.. Crazy. Disgusting. Exciting. Exhausting. Frustrating. Nerve-wracking. INSANE. I can't believe I watched this entire game, wow.

Imagine if SNY had this game with Gary and Keith? I would pay money to see that.

La Russa pretty much threw in the towel like 2 innings before the game ended, but, whatever, I'm at least glad the Mets didn't find a way to make themselves look awful.

Edited by nmigliore

Well, finally, its over. That was... I don't even know.. Crazy. Disgusting. Exciting. Exhausting. Frustrating. Nerve-wracking. INSANE. I can't believe I watched this entire game, wow.

Imagine if SNY had this game with Gary and Keith? I would pay money to see that.

lol to both of the above...I actually stayed away from this game for the most part, the first score update was in the bottom of the sixth when I saw we had like one hit at that point and it was still scoreless I figured it would be another boring loss, then a while later I saw it was in extra innings already and then when I saw your post earlier in this thread I was like...'this game is still going on?!'.

So finally when I met up with some friends at a bar I wound up watching the last two or three innings which had enough drama anyway :lol: Great job by Pelf in a trying circumstance, a win and a save isn't a bad week at all.

You've got to flat out TATTOO position players on the mound.

That was their second baseman pitching?! Shows how much attention I was paying, no wonder we finally got a couple of runs :P

Edited by Hasan4978

Mike Jacobs has been designated for assignment to make room for some bullpen support (Tobi Stoner). Wow, could this mean the beginning of the Ike Davis Era on Monday?!

The lineup tonight is nuts too:

Reyes, SS

Cora, 2B

Wight, 3B

Catalanotto, 1B ... yes you read this right.

Francoeur, RF

Matthews Jr., CF

Pagan, LF

Maine, SP

Maine is pretty much pitching for his rotation spot tonight. Dillon Gee is waiting in the wings at AAA, he pitched another gem yesterday for the Bisons: 7 innings, 4 hits, 0 runs, 1 BB, 8 K .. on 89 pitches.

Edit, something to think about: Jacobs had an option left, so he could have just been optioned down. Instead, the Mets chose to DFA him -- removing him from the 40-man roster -- which opens up a spot. So clearly the Mets have an intention of adding somebody... Stoner was already on it, as are 1B candidates like Evans or Carter, but not Ike Davis, which leads me to believe its going to be him who gets the call.

Edited by nmigliore

Funny how only the Mets could win a 20-inning game and make us all furious about it at the same time.

At least they've done the right thing and realized that Jacobs has no future here (or likely anywhere else).

Now no fvcking around...give Ike a chance. I don't care if he has to go through growing pains...he can always be sent back down if he's overmatched, and this season should not be about trying to contend, because that ship has already sailed.

Castillo and Gary Matthews Jr should be next...

Ike is in the lineup and wearing #29 .. Reyes asked for a day off.

Pagan, CF

Castillo, 2B

Wright, 3B

Bay, LF

Francoeur, RF

Davis, 1B

Barajas, C

Cora, SS

Wow, Jerry finally realized Cora should not be at the top of the order!

In regards to Davis, I just hope fans don't expect him to be some savior. Francesa is already talking him up like crazy on WFAN right now, even putting him on par with Jason Heyward (which is just silly).

Edited by nmigliore

Ike is in the lineup and wearing #29 .. Reyes asked for a day off.

Pagan, CF

Castillo, 2B

Wright, 3B

Bay, LF

Francoeur, RF

Davis, 1B

Barajas, C

Cora, SS

Wow, Jerry finally realized Cora should not be at the top of the order!

In regards to Davis, I just hope fans don't expect him to be some savior. Francesa is already talking him up like crazy on WFAN right now, even putting him on par with Jason Heyward (which is just silly).

Not even a little. He could easily fall flat on his face during his first go-around. But it's like I said...why the hell not? I dont need to see Jacobs and Tatis playing first.

There was actually LIFE in the Mets last night. The Mets needed to call up Ike for that, as much as anything else...anything to get these guys to have some kind of a pulse.

Strangely enough, as bad as the Mets have looked at times, somehow they've managed to outscore their opponents, 54-50.

If the Mets can actually find a way to win...GASP!...two in a row, that'd made for a little fun. Under the circumstances, 6-8 wouldn't look so bad.

Good for Ike Davis! he was a spark plug for the Mets last night. I hope this kid stays in the line up for a while. he may be that special player the Mets have been missing. Glad to see him get a hit in his 1st ML at bat and his second hit got him his first RBI in the ML. Congrats to Ike Davis! Want to see more like that from Ike.

Good for Ike Davis! he was a spark plug for the Mets last night. I hope this kid stays in the line up for a while. he may be that special player the Mets have been missing. Glad to see him get a hit in his 1st ML at bat and his second hit got him his first RBI in the ML. Congrats to Ike Davis! Want to see more like that from Ike.

I think the only way he comes out of the lineup is if he struggles and looks overmatched. It's not like the Mets have a decent player waiting in the wings at first (Murphy doesn't count...he's not particularly good at anything). And I'm glad they don't, because that means Ike should get a good look.

I don't know if Ike's that "special player" (no one can after one game), bit I know who he isn't: Mike Jacobs. That's more than enough for me right now.

Mets Contract Issues

I know it's early in the season, but of the guys here that have had a full body of work to judge from, whose options do you pick up, who do you offer arb to, and who do you non-tender?

I have to think the Reyes option is automatic, unless he doesn't recover enough to post decent numbers. Cora, well, no.

I also think Pagan, Franceour, and Pelfrey are automatic arb as well.

And this year is an audition for Pedro Feliciano to earn some bucks methinks.

Mets Contract Issues

I know it's early in the season, but of the guys here that have had a full body of work to judge from, whose options do you pick up, who do you offer arb to, and who do you non-tender?

I have to think the Reyes option is automatic, unless he doesn't recover enough to post decent numbers. Cora, well, no.

I also think Pagan, Franceour, and Pelfrey are automatic arb as well.

And this year is an audition for Pedro Feliciano to earn some bucks methinks.

Options:

Reyes - yes.

Cora - no.

Free Agents:

Feliciano - resign.

Escobar - too early to answer.

Arbitration:

Pelfrey - resign, I would even consider an extension depending on how he does this year.

Nieve - too early to answer.

Acosta - too early to answer.

Green - too early but hes certainly heading towards non-tender.

Francoeur - too early to answer.

Maine - too early to answer, but heading towards non-tender or trade.

Pagan - resign.

Edited by nmigliore

Mike Pelfrey was, once again, fabulous tonight: 7 innings, 3 hits, 0 runs, 3 BB, 6 K .. Hes now 3-0 with a 0.86 ERA! Its still very early, but its nice to see him showing an uptick in strikeouts (6.9 K/9) and decrease in his hit rate (5.6 H/9). GO BIG PELF!!

Reyes had a huge game - 4 hits, 1 being a big triple, and a stolen base. He looked like the old Jose tonight. It was good to see Tatis get off the schneid with a pinch-hit 2-run bomb.

Unfortunately though, Igarashi hurt his hamstring, and looks to be DL-bound. I would say Manny Acosta and Bobby Parnell are probably the most likely candidates to be called up since they are already on the 40-man while Kiko Calero isn't (Kiko has been pretty mediocre in AAA too).

Nice early-season story, re: Pelf. Who knows how long it will last, but good for Mike.

And if you're going to Met games expecting to see a lot of hits, you'll be disappointed. Mets are now batting .232 as a team, and their opponents aren't doing much better, batting .236.

6-8 and 2.5 games out of first...considering where they were about a week ago, gotta take it.

I really am bothered by the fact Jerry keeps using Feliciano vs RH batters. Hes been good against them so far this year, but really, you can't expect that to last much longer.

This 8th inning is getting messy too all because he left Pedro in to face a few righties instead of bringing Mejia in to start. Ugh.

Edited by nmigliore

John Maine just left the game, I'm not sure why. It looked as if its something with his left arm. The guy can't catch a break, can he? I'm hoping Dillon Gee takes his place in the rotation if he goes to the DL.

edit: Per Burkhardt, "John Maine listed as day to day with muscle spasms and pain in his left elbow."

Edited by nmigliore