GDT: Preseason Game 2: Isles @ Devs

ZeroGravityFat

Barch was perhaps the only "positive" according to Pete.

:mellow:

*Searching for an even more speechless smilie

I do NOT want to dislike DeBoer.  OK  calmness.  These are just words.  I like what I'm seeing so -- so, I'm just not going to listen to DeBoer - only look at the on ice product. Actions speak louder than words afterall.

so my thoughts... 

the kids are awesome, Merrill and Gelinas will be very very good. Can't wait to have them on board full time and that both will be able to take on big minutes. 

I'm so depress to think that we'll have to see Volchenkov and Salvadore all year... i know they play minutes and situations the kids are not ready to take but still, they can't handle the puck at all and bring NO offence, they are horribly slow and are not good enough defensively to justify keeping both around. But thats whats gonna happen

:mellow:

*Searching for an even more speechless smilie

I do NOT want to dislike DeBoer.  OK  calmness.  These are just words.  I like what I'm seeing so -- so, I'm just not going to listen to DeBoer - only look at the on ice product. Actions speak louder than words afterall.

remember last season when Hedberg was sh!tting the bed game after game but that Deboer was denying it and was saying he was playing great? lol yeah. i do.

Salvador, no e.  Hey DM, you know how (N)Єverson corrects to Neverson?  Could we get Salvadore to correct to Salvador?  

Merrill moves the puck well and is smart with it at the point.  Impressed there.  Was not impressed with his stick positioning which was 'Eh, I guess I'll put this here'.  He needs to work on how to be when he doesn't have the puck - that 2nd goal by the Islanders he played very poorly, flailing his stick in front of a shot instead of covering the pass.

Didn't have any complaints about Gelinas, love that shot and the willingness to get it off.

Severson looks like it'll all be there eventually, but it's not there yet.

Loktionov was again probably the best player on the ice probably for either team, although goal #5 might've been his fault - I never did see if the puck skipped over his stick or what.  He so often finds the best play - at least 3 times tonight I thought 'Well, that was likely the best outcome from what that play could have been', whether it was an extra stickhandle or what.  

Brunner didn't do much, but it was a tough spot for him.  

From the one shift Clowe played on the power play, you can see that the Clarkson comparisons aren't accurate - this is someone who can pass the puck and is confident with the puck on the PP.

Josefson they kept sending in as the first forechecker and the puck kept not ending up with New Jersey at the end of the play.  It seemed like in this game they were trying to get him to play like a prototypical 4th liner but that is just not his strength.  I fear he may not be much longer in New Jersey.

Salvador, no e.  Hey DM, you know how (N)Єverson corrects to Neverson?  Could we get Salvadore to correct to Salvador?  

Merrill moves the puck well and is smart with it at the point.  Impressed there.  Was not impressed with his stick positioning which was 'Eh, I guess I'll put this here'.  He needs to work on how to be when he doesn't have the puck - that 2nd goal by the Islanders he played very poorly, flailing his stick in front of a shot instead of covering the pass.

Didn't have any complaints about Gelinas, love that shot and the willingness to get it off.

Loktionov was again probably the best player on the ice probably for either team, although goal #5 might've been his fault - I never did see if the puck skipped over his stick or what.  He so often finds the best play - at least 3 times tonight I thought 'Well, that was likely the best outcome from what that play could have been', whether it was an extra stickhandle or what.  

From the one shift Clowe played on the power play, you can see that the Clarkson comparisons aren't accurate - this is someone who can pass the puck and is confident with the puck on the PP.

Josefson they kept sending in as the first forechecker and the puck kept not ending up with New Jersey at the end of the play.  It seemed like in this game they were trying to get him to play like a prototypical 4th liner but that is just not his strength.  I fear he may not be much longer in New Jersey.

All this forward depth, and it means sh!t all because the team needs its scrappy 4th line players and, of course, its borderline AHL goon. 

I'm not 100% anti-Salvador(e) now that Kovalchuk is gone. Obviously there's no way of knowing from the outside, but it just doesn't seem like there are that many strong leaders on the team anymore. Other than Salvador, there's Elias, and maybe Greene, but who else has proven to be a leader out there? So maybe he isn't the greatest player, but if he's helping out and leading the team behind the scenes, maybe he's doing enough for the team.

or maybe I'm being overly optimistic?

I have no earthly idea what happened on that 5th goal.   Was there a loose stick in the neutral zone?    Doesn't help that the game production staff refuses to show road team replays.

I'm not 100% anti-Salvador(e) now that Kovalchuk is gone. Obviously there's no way of knowing from the outside, but it just doesn't seem like there are that many strong leaders on the team anymore. Other than Salvador, there's Elias, and maybe Greene, but who else has proven to be a leader out there? So maybe he isn't the greatest player, but if he's helping out and leading the team behind the scenes, maybe he's doing enough for the team.

or maybe I'm being overly optimistic?

Behind the scenes? He's a hard worker and a professional, but the Devils team is loaded with professionals from Brodeur, Elias, Jagr, Clowe, Ryder, Zajac, Zubrus, Greene, etc. I don't think his locker room value is much of anything. That isn't a knock on him, but more to the fact that this team doesn't really need anything that you imagine Salvador to be doing that isn't on the ice.

Some notes.

I wish Loktionov had a brother or 2. He needs to be a top 6 player.

Marty looked disinterested in playing.

Ryder looked horrid. Maybe Deboer was doing some tire pumping because I have no idea why he thinks he played well.

JJ appears to be an odd man out. Looks weak.

Boucher is nowhere near NHL ready.

The helmet rule will be addressed as it was in USA hockey when it was a rule and players did the same awkward helmet removal.

Brunner looked very average. I would like to see him with Elias.

The PP was bad, but I like some of the formations they tried.

I love what I see in the young D. Gelinas is a lock for this team. I hope they don't move Fayne, but I am not sure if they can move Volch in any capacity. There appears to be some near NHL ready D in Merrill and Urbom. Seversen looks really promising as well. They all skate really well. In today's cap world, maybe I'd consider shopping Larsson and JJ in a package.

Wegdewood looked nervous.

Ryder did some things, had some nice passes.   He is a ghost player.   Someone that will be invisible or you'll think "oh my god he sucks" and then he puts some points up.   If he gets his numbers without being a big minus he'll be worth his money.

Exactly this.  Ryder had a great pass to Loktionov in the 3rd period, it was their 2nd best chance in the period besides the Zajac breakaway.

Marty looked bad.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that it was just a preseason game, and he wasn't really in the 'zone' for it.

JJ looks small.  As Tri said, I think he may be on the outs soon, simply because he doesn't really have a place on this team.  He's not really a 4th liner, and unless he's got that 3rd line center spot, I don't think he'll be very useful to the team.  Shame, because I always thought he was 'close', but he's had how many years now to put it together?  He's still very young, but this will be his 4th professional year (albeit having only played ~90 games).  Time for him to show some finish.

Lol @ Clowe getting injured, but apparently it was a minor thing.

With all this FANTASTIC (no sarcasm) forward depth, I will be seriously upset if Barch sees any substantial time this year.  They can't just play Kovalchuk on the 4th line anymore.  I'm hoping PDB's comment ("Bright spot") is kinda just throwing him a bone, since he did get his face pummeled three times for the cause. 

Loktionov was our best forward again! im a big fans of him.... Smart player... To be that good with that size you need to be that smart. but him 

the brunner zajac duo wasnt really good.... I love the michael ryder game... he is a ghost player not a core one but he makes good offensive play (pass and sniipe shot). I knew who he was because i saw him play in montreal. Dont expect him to kill penalty but goal will come

Éric Gélinas is ready for the NHL now. I saw him play in the QJMHL and he wasnt so great. But he win speed, strenght and improve in the defensive zone area. he should make the team.

Merril.. LOve him, sure he have to develop his defensive awareness, but the offensive stride are there.

Reid boucher is nervous.... give him time... He can be better than what you saw from him in camp

No way you can love marty's performance after seeing schneider the other night.

Remember it only preseason so dont panic! 

You know -- I figured out what's been annoying me about the defence.  As Tri has repeatedly reported, the Devils D hasn't been that bad.  They have good numbers.  So here is the thing...  Game Control.

To me, defence is in the position to control the entire game, moreso than any other position.  Our vets do not accept that responsibility.  They play a team game which --- I dont know,  to me that's not doing their complete job.  That's relinquishing control.  You make Sal the captain - it's like it's a marketing ploy almost - you sell your weak point.  Sal does NOT control a game.  he never did - he's only just gotten lucky or played with some focus a few play off games.  The man does NOT control a thing out there - he's barely in control of himself.  Tallinder -- always relinquishing control to focus on his own personal playing issues. 

Volchenkov and Greene so far, have been really great at leading the kids to feel out CONTROLLING the game.  That's why I was happy with Volch- he brought something of real value to the table and I was shocked I will say.  I just hope he continues that way -- after all you teach best what you most need to learn. 

So, true, I don't see it actually happening, they didn't control the game yesterday  - but they're like puppies (NO not LD;s kind). They know what they want to do and their instincts -- or their actions right now, their current first inclinations are in the right direction.  The really correct direction.    It's just so dammm cute!  Larsson doesn't seem to want to control a game.  It's been really hard to follow details with these choppy internet feeds though.  So annoying!!  I can't see specifics that often just general positioning and effort - no stickwork can be followed. 

I don't wan cable, I really dont want to give money to the Man  the evil power-abusing man who controls what used to be free.

(man, this is one of those posts :doh1:  I was all high this morning... I sound like such an a$$hole.  I wish I could just delete it all... but I did it, I wrote it and gawd knows I dont want to go back and try to re-expain what the hell I mean.  I need to relax and compose myself... ye gads... :rolleyes: )

Edited by Pepperkorn

You know -- I figured out what's been annoying me about the defence.  As Tri has repeatedly reported, the Devils D hasn't been that bad.  They have good numbers.  So here is the thing...  Game Control.

To me, defence is in the position to control the entire game, moreso than any other position.  Our vets do not accept that responsibility.  They play a team game which --- I dont know,  to me that's not doing their complete job.  That's relinquishing control.  You make Sal the captain - it's like it's a marketing ploy almost - you sell your weak point.  Sal does NOT control a game.  he never did - he's only just gotten lucky or played with some focus a few play off games.  The man does NOT control a thing out there - he's barely in control of himself.  Tallinder -- always relinquishing control to focus on his own personal playing issues. 

Volchenkov and Greene so far, have been really great at leading the kids to feel out CONTROLLING the game.  That's why I was happy with Volch- he brought something of real value to the table and I was shocked I will say.  I just hope he continues that way -- after all you teach best what you most need to learn. 

So, true, I don't see it actually happening, they didn't control the game yesterday  - but they're like puppies (NO not LD;s kind). They know what they want to do and their instincts -- or their actions right now, their current first inclinations are in the right direction.  The really correct direction.    It's just so dammm cute!  Larsson doesn't seem to want to control a game.  It's been really hard to follow details with these choppy internet feeds though.  So annoying!!  I can't see specifics that often just general positioning and effort - no stickwork can be followed. 

I don't wan cable, I really dont want to give money to the Man  the evil power-abusing man who controls what used to be free.

Larsson was awesome the other night. if he transfer it into all games, he could be our best D this year (poised, win speed, win physicality)

Man, the kids look GREAT this preseason. You can tell DeBoer agrees by how often guys like Gelinas and Merrill were on the ice (every 30 seconds, it seemed). Gelinas is really turning heads, even my Islanders fan who was in attendance couldn't believe his skill and clutch, he's really turning into something. Boucher did good things too, was maybe better on Monday, but hell, he's nervous and YOUNG. I love his shot and release and the other things in his game that may be lacking are things that can be taught. He's got the right tools and instinct, he's got a bright future; I think we all know he'll go back to junior/AHL but he's still very exciting.

Zidlicky looked awful for most of the game. Brunner and Zajac both looked okay and up to par. I'm sure Brunner is still jetlagged, not to mention the weight of an unsure future and unfamiliarity with the system means we wouldn't see his real level of play until after at least a week or two. Zubrus was another bright spot; say what you want about his contract but he's gotten incrementally better the past few years and I saw some of that last night. Severson was okay and held his own.

Overall, the veterans looked terrible. Salvador was neutral, might have been the more solid of the veterans last night, but that's not saying much, Andy Greene was okay. Brodeur, forget it, I don't really know what to say. I know it's preseason hockey, but damn Marty, you need to give us (and your coach) SOME sort of assurance that you can still compete at a high level. He looked worse than he did in Atlantic City last offseason for the Sandy relief charity game (where goals resulted in more money donated, so he let in some softies). It's just nerve-racking going into the season after watching a performance like that. I can't imagine the coaches being okay if he were to show that much of a lack of effort during a practice scrimmage, much less a preseason game where people actually paid to come see it. Anyway, if I'm Pete DeBoer, I start Marty at the Barclays Center too. At this stage, I think we all realize Schneider is the best goalie on the team so I think getting Marty in shape is more important than anything else. Nothing to gain by starting Schneider in any of these games, except maybe Philly.

Moving on, Olesz looks encouraging. I think he'll fit right in, he plays a hybrid of Clarkson and Zubrus style and has good size. He'll be a very effective third line player, which is where I imagine him ending up considering our depth. Carter and Josefson were okay, they didn't stand out, but they'll come around. Barch, I don't really know what to say. We don't really need Barch or Janssen. Our team is big, our players are big and physical, and can fight if they need to, and they do. Watching Barch go at it 3 times last night was more depressing than anything else. It sucks that that is what he feels the need to do in a preseason game to make the team, but I just wish he had some more skill. Last year, when our depth was lacking, he looked decent on the 4th line and wasn't bad at all, definitely more skilled on the puck than Janssen. While he hasn't changed much for the positive or negative, our depth has passed him by and I just don't see room for him or Janssen. In just 3 short years, we've gotten bigger than just about all of our rivals, in my opinion. We're bigger and more physical than New York, by FAR. We can hold our own against the Islanders, and I'm not worried about the Flyers. We don't really need an enforcer anymore, the way we did maybe 3-4 years ago.

Loktionov looked great again, I'm really excited to watch him grow and he's turning out to be another Lou Lamoriello STEAL, with a ton of "special sauce" on top of it. He played last year (and looks this year) at the level we expect Zajac to play and does everything right in my opinion. I have almost never found myself saying, "What the hell Loktionov?", he's so solid. Similarly, Ryder looked good. He wasn't oustanding, but he's only a week in. I look forward to seeing his play as he grows more comfortable with his teammates and the system.

I was sitting 10 rows right behind Marty last night and oh my god that was embarrassing. Halfway through the 2nd period he had a 50% SV%! I hope he was just disinterested but jeez that was bad esp after watching Schneider put on a clinic in the first preseason game

I was sitting 10 rows right behind Marty last night and oh my god that was embarrassing. Halfway through the 2nd period he had a 50% SV%! I hope he was just disinterested but jeez that was bad esp after watching Schneider put on a clinic in the first preseason game

He claims the 4 goals out of 8 shots were the fault of the young defense, you were there what  do you think?

Edited by LucifersDog