Humor Rankings Return

lucifer91

I can see why we are ranked so low. We are depending on kids (Larssson, Tedenby, Josefson, Palmieri, Henrique, etc) to get the job done. They are not proven and not well known for the most part to most of the league. However, WE know what these players are capable of, and this is how you win Stanley Cups these days. Look around at the teams to go all the way recently, most are filled with young stars in their prime and unproven young talent just waiting to burst out of the gate. We have this build, and we have a good goaltending duo. If you've watched Marty this preseason, he's looked fantastic. This is going to be a good year for us.

The Devils are not a talentless team as some repeat on here. They have a lot of good young talent. Will that talent perform up to the peak of their abilities? If yes then then this will be an exciting year. If the potential isn't reached then this could be another frustrating year.

I know that none of what I just said is in-depth analysis but I simply want to say that the talent is there to be successful in this league. Now it is up to the coaches and players to do their part.

Edited by devilsadvoc8

I used to question your posts on hockeytraderumors back as far as 2000 and I still question them on here. In terms of pure talent NJ has plenty of speed and skill, the problem is having it mesh together on time.

Fair enough, as I often question most of your post's as well.

The Devils have a handful of talent, but not as much as everyone else.

For Christ's sakes we have Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk on the same team! And, they didnt even play together during the second half when we were the best team in the NHL. Dont tell me we dont have talent and that we are the 6th-worst team in the league! Dont tell me a team with Rick DiPietro, John Tavares, and Brian Rolston is better either.

Edited by devlman

For Christ's sakes we have Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk on the same team! And, they didnt even play together during the second half when we were the best team in the NHL. Dont tell me we dont have talent and that we are the 6th-worst team in the league! Dont tell me a team with Rick DiPietro, John Tavares, and Brian Rolston is better either.

I like the Isles this year. Tavares, Moulson, Grabner, Okposo, Parentau ... their D is a bit lacking... but DiPietro/Nabakov/Montoya - 1 of those guys should be able to be healthy and be able to play servicably to keep them in some games.

Again, because I feel like I'm getting pegged a Devs flamer... I like the Devs this year, and I think they will be better than 24th... but I think its fair to peg them in the bottom third, as-is... in the preseason before we dropped a puck in the regular season. They need to prove they are a better team that can get past a Zajac injury and that Kovy can mesh in our system and produce at the level we signed him for.

I like the Isles this year. Tavares, Moulson, Grabner, Okposo, Parentau ... their D is a bit lacking... but DiPietro/Nabakov/Montoya - 1 of those guys should be able to be healthy and be able to play servicably to keep them in some games.

Again, because I feel like I'm getting pegged a Devs flamer... I like the Devs this year, and I think they will be better than 24th... but I think its fair to peg them in the bottom third, as-is... in the preseason before we dropped a puck in the regular season. They need to prove they are a better team that can get past a Zajac injury and that Kovy can mesh in our system and produce at the level we signed him for.

Thats an understandable position but consider that the Isles' kids have been supposed to take 'the next step' for over a decade now. I dont see this year being any different.

Aylbert - I think you're not getting a bad rap so much. I get the feeling people are talking about people saying flat out this team lacks talent. You're saying based on the past it isn't unreasonable to place the Devils low in the pack. I agree. I agree with Jason also that this team just doesn't' get it together when it HAS to. They fly high when there's nothing so much at stake - but when pressure is on they fold like a deck of cards.

I see no one on the bench stepping up to change that any time soon either. Zach sure as sh!t hasn't. At least Elias and Kovalchuk try to assume a ridiculous amount of personal responsibility. IMO Zach is underperforming along the lines of a neidermayer. He's letting others take the lead rather than take the team in hand. There is no leader and frankly I feel a reluctance from Zach -- there's always a reason to not flip out and take control. Well guess what -- take fvcking control NOW or honestly I won't give a sh!t if you walk. Love the dude but I see nothign but group think leadership and honestly - Lou may love that but it's just not enough <_<

You know - I dont know how hard it is to take things in hand. Maybe it's just something that happens. I think it requires calling people out on their sh!t right on ice right in the moment. You're not a bad guy if you do that. and it's not some sanctimonious way -- or some helpful problem solving way -- for krissake just assume these guys can play. I think the team is taking it too easy on everyone in the moment and that makes for out of line reactions all over the place. Call them WHEN you see them and don't make a big feckin' deal out of it, you know? No holding sh!t in letting it slip out in bitchy childish ways. That's dishonest and unkind. Try embracing healthy conflict. You play hockey you wussbags

I need a just cranky grumbly smilie <_< isn't enough and :rant: is too much... :puke:

We'll see what all the new guys bring to the table - this may all be moot now. but I'm grumpy as all hell just thinking about it imagining it all out...

I understand many think we need to wait and see but im sorry, there is no way we are finishing behind the Isles this year. we had veryyy similar second halves last year so theres no way they should be ranked ahead just on that. and just look at the two teams, they are the islanders, it will not happen.

and who said we dont have much talent??? must be out of your mind! just look at our players and see we have some of the greatest skill sets out there. the problem clearly is figuring out how to play together

• 2 weeks later...

...I fail to see the dig?

The surprising Devils bounced back from a 2-0 deficit in Nashville on Saturday to win their third straight. No Martin Brodeur (out with a shoulder injury)? Apparently, no problem, as veteran Johan Hedberg stopped 29 of 31 shots and both Nashville shootout attempts. He also stopped a Sergei Kostitsyn penalty shot.

• 4 months later...

Are we moving the ECHL?

The highest I have seen any publication rank us right now has been #12 in the EAST. We are not a very talented team.

USA Today has us dead last in the Atlantic.

"Outlook: The Devils' 14-year playoff streak ended last season, and New Jersey is likely to sit out another a postseason."

i really appreciated manta's opinion and insight on the devils and the game in general. it's really a shame that manta decided to disappear because kovalchuk turned into the player he though he never could be. manta, own up to the fact that you were wrong and come back to us.

ESPN Power Rankings

New Jersey:

that's lebrun. burnside would never be caught dead saying that. he still thinks bobby carpenter is our 3rd line center.

• Like 1