Who do you think the Devils will draft?

Jerzey

Devils 2013 draft selection  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think the Devils will select?

• Sean Monahan
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Nikita Zaradov
    • Hunter Shinkaruk
    • Bo Horvat
    • Curtis Lazar
    • Valeri Nichushkin
    • Darnell Nurse

here's my thought on the 3 guys that i think we have a shot at... and im SO thorn between the 3

Shinkaruk: Speedy little winger and a natural scorer with great hands, creative and aggressive around the net, has great enthusiasm which is contagious and loves playing the game and score. For comparison i'd go with Skinner and Gallagher and anyone who followed those 2 knows that they brought so much to the organization in term of energy and bring good mood to the team. Hate the Habs but how i wish we could have picked Gallagher that kid has such a huge heart and such a hard worker. It's something we're lacking since Zach left. And really its contagious to have someone like that in the locker room. He'd be on our top line for sure in a near future.

Monahan: He seem to be the safe pick being a typical Devils kind of player playing well 2 way and has elite hockey sense and he's big and he's projected to be an above average 2nd line center with potential of being a top line center... Has a good shot and needs to work on his skating a bit. a pass first guy (yeah another one) and even though he's been compared to Eric Staal, Toews, landeskog... i just wouldnt want to end up with a clone of Zajac. I'd want more than that. But he's playing on a very bad team apparently so i feel he may be better than i think... lots of people watching him play on a regular basis says he's a fantastic player and a stud.

Lindholm: This kid is already playing against men and has been producing and has been given more and more responsibilities as the season went on. Watched him play and really liked what i saw and i think he's really near NHL ready. He can play both center and wing so thats a big plus for us. He's been compared to Forsberg which is ridiculous. But i mean... you have to be pretty good so that people compare you to him so you know. He's playing hard 110% every shift, can block shots, deke, make great plays and can be aggressive around the net...

so IMO it's like picking between lets say... at the early stage between Skinner, Landeskog, Couture maybe? (i have a hard time comparing Lindholm to a recent rookie)   and older version maybe St-Louis, Eric Staal and Zetterberg

so well... with all this i still don't know who i'd pick if i had the choice... but chances are that we don't have a choice and that one of the 3 just fall to us with the first 2 gone obviously. I'd be happy with any of those 3

Edited by SterioDesign

You think Nichushkin will definitely be gone by 9 or you just don't like him?

I think he'll be gone for sure. He might drop a few position if teams get scared of the russian factor or that they want immediate help anf that he wants to finish his contract... Hes still signed in the KHL but his agent said hed want him in north america next season, so who knows, and those other prospects around him are so good that they might think "well why take the risk?" And pick the next guy...he seems to have a little attitude but well kovalchuk was like that too. He'd be a steal at 9... But somehow id still between him and the other 3... Id still scratch my head

I think he'll be gone for sure. He might drop a few position if teams get scared of the russian factor or that they want immediate help anf that he wants to finish his contract... Hes still signed in the KHL but his agent said hed want him in north america next season, so who knows, and those other prospects around him are so good that they might think "well why take the risk?" And pick the next guy...he seems to have a little attitude but well kovalchuk was like that too. He'd be a steal at 9... But somehow id still between him and the other 3... Id still scratch my head

All it takes for us to end up with one of Nichuskin, Monahan, Lindholm or Shinkaruk is if Nurse/Zadorov/Ristolainen/Pulock get picked. I'd be doing back flips if we land one of those forwards. I just hope Conte doesn't take Lazar or Domi in the 9 spot. In order of my preference:

1) Nichuskin

2a) Lindholm

2b) Monahan 

3) Shinkaruk

Like I said, I'd be happy with one of those 4

All it takes for us to end up with one of Nichuskin, Monahan, Lindholm or Shinkaruk is if Nurse/Zadorov/Ristolainen/Pulock get picked. I'd be doing back flips if we land one of those forwards. I just hope Conte doesn't take Lazar or Domi in the 9 spot. In order of my preference:

1) Nichuskin

2a) Lindholm

2b) Monahan 

3) Shinkaruk

Like I said, I'd be happy with one of those 4

Can you actually imagine if teams ahead of us actually pick 2 of those dmen... We'd actually have a choice between 2 of those 4 !!!!

Can you actually imagine if teams ahead of us actually pick 2 of those dmen... We'd actually have a choice between 2 of those 4 !!!!

Top 4 will definitely be Jones and Mack/Drouin/Barkov. After that, it'll get dicey because all of Carolina, Calgary, Edmonton and Buffalo could use help on the defensive end. I'm worried about a team trading out of the top 10 and a club like PHX trading up

Top 4 will definitely be Jones and Mack/Drouin/Barkov. After that, it'll get dicey because all of Carolina, Calgary, Edmonton and Buffalo could use help on the defensive end. I'm worried about a team trading out of the top 10 and a club like PHX trading up

I wonder what it would take to trade up with buffalo ? Or even edmonton? Just moving up one spot would assure us to get one of the guys we want...

Cause im really worried... Like u said jones/mackinnon/drouin/barkov are going top 4... They need help but all those forwards are too good to pass on.

I wonder what it would take to trade up with buffalo ? Or even edmonton? Just moving up one spot would assure us to get one of the guys we want...

Cause im really worried... Like u said jones/mackinnon/drouin/barkov are going top 4... They need help but all those forwards are too good to pass on.

Edmonton might be willing since they'd need a D-man unless they're braindead (they might be) and they traded a bunch of picks for useless players like Mike Brown and Smithson but we don't really have a bunch of picks to give them to move :\ 

Edmonton might be willing since they'd need a D-man unless they're braindead (they might be) and they traded a bunch of picks for useless players like Mike Brown and Smithson but we don't really have a bunch of picks to give them to move :

To move up two spots and if Buffalo or Edmonton has a player at nine that they want, maybe it you could give Gelinas. Again though, it's contingent on one of those teams having a specific player in mind that they want at 9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edmonton might be willing since they'd need a D-man unless they're braindead (they might be) and they traded a bunch of picks for useless players like Mike Brown and Smithson but we don't really have a bunch of picks to give them to move :\

Alright... Lets just go crazy here... IMAGINE for a second that we could trade volchenkov to edmonton cause they need grit and experience at the blueline and that he would accept to waive his claus....

Droooooolingggg. It would seriously be better than christmas

Of course its almost impossible and they would be dump to do it... But hey... Its fvcking edmonton.. They dont make good decisions.

Edited by SterioDesign

Alright... Lets just go crazy here... IMAGINE for a second that we could trade volchenkov to edmonton cause they need grit and experience at the blueline and that he would accept to waive his claus....

Droooooolingggg. It would seriously be better than christmas

Of course its almost impossible and they would be dump to do it... But hey... Its fvcking edmonton.. They dont make good decisions.

Which is exactly why they will take a forward this year and not a defender.

We can only hope. Honestly, and this is almost worse than signing Matteau, but if all of the top forwards go in the top 9 I'd be happy with Domi.

i really love Domi but at #9 i don't know... i think i'd pick Gauthier before Domi that high... if you can trade down, get a prospect or an extra 2nd round and get Domi then maybe... Laurent Dauphin early 2nd or something.

All we need is one team between 2-8 to pick a defenseman and we're gonna get a shot at one of Lindholm, Monahan, Nichushkin, or Shinkaruk, and I expect Carolina to take Nurse or some other defenseman at 5th

things will move fast if they don't though. Cause really there's a drop after those guys. Well we never know there's always a few players picked later that end up better than some of the top 10 but still.

things will move fast if they don't though. Cause really there's a drop after those guys. Well we never know there's always a few players picked later that end up better than some of the top 10 but still.

I think if we get down to the wire or our 1st and 2nd chocies are gone, it'll become more likely that we trade down to something like 15-20 and grab Lazar and hopefully another low 1st rd, early 2nd rd pick or hey, maybe even a forward prospect.

Edited by ATLL765

I think if we get down to the wire or our 1st and 2nd chocies are gone, it'll become more likely that we trade down to something like 15-20 and grab Lazar and hopefully another low 1st rd, early 2nd rd pick or hey, maybe even a forward prospect.

Most folks seem to think the 1st four are studs, and after them there is a bit of a drop in talent?

I disagree, I'm hoping for Mantha and Lazar.

Most folks seem to think the 1st four are studs, and after them there is a bit of a drop in talent?I disagree, I'm hoping for Mantha and Lazar.

Mantha hes really good but hes not a guy whos gonna play 110% every game or every shift. He seems to be streaky too but when hes on hes really good.

Most folks seem to think the 1st four are studs, and after them there is a bit of a drop in talent?

I dont love Mantha i saw him play a lot here in the QJMHL... He have good attributes but in a lot of game he was not playing at a good level. Sometimes we didnt even notice him on the ice. And in the playoffs he plays average in 2/3 of the games.... He is not the kind of player that you know what he will bring.... I could be wrong and thing could change long term but right now at the 9th spot I see other player in front of him

You can't project any of those guys to be as good as the first four picks.  Doesn't mean they won't be good of course.

The more I read up on this draft the more excited I get. Nichushkin is ranked 2nd overall by ISS.. Would be fvcking epic if he dropped to us. We should trade a couple of D to columbus for one of their 50 first round picks. :P

Honestly, I'm not really high on Nichushkin, he might be one of the best players around, I just hate the "Russian Factor". I would be pissed if we drafted the guy with our top 10 pick and he pulled a Radulov-style move on us. I would rather draft Monahan or Shinkaruk and be sure he wants to play in NA, instead of gambling.

Edited by Devs3cups

Honestly, I'm not really high on Nichushkin, he might be one of the best players around, I just hate the "Russian Factor". I would be pissed if we drafted the guy with our top 10 pick and he pulled a Radulov-style move on us. I would rather draft Monahan or Shinkaruk and be sure he wants to play in NA, instead of gambling.

Radulov's literally the only guy who's done that. Even Nikita Filatov, who was a bust and was apparently too lazy to go after rebounds, stayed in the US until it was abundantly clear nobody wanted him anymore. You take the best player available no matter where he's from.