Parise named captain!

SterioDesign

Good stuff.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2011/10/devils_name_zach_parise_captai.html

Of course, many observers will wonder whether Devils' management decided to give the captaincy to Parise hoping it will convince him to stay beyond this season.

"I wasn't in those meetings, so I don't know," Parise said with a laugh.

Will it work?

"Yes," he answered with another laugh.

I found this SUPER interesting:

"It wasn't a solo decision. This was something as a group we talked about from Lou (Lamoriello) to the coaching staff. I got an opportunity to spend the last 2-3 weeks around the group and we had the luxury here of a lot of leadership candidates. The group is much bigger than just the guys who are going to be wearing letters, starting with our goaltenders. There were a lot of good options."

Goalies are not allowed to wear a 'C' or 'A' in the NHL.

"I talked to Marty from Day 1 and I put (Johan) Hedberg in that leadership group, too," the coach said. "Those guys know despite not having a letter on their jersey. ... Actually, I was one of the first coaches to put a 'C' on a goalie in junior. I did that a long time ago. The kid's name was Rob Zep. It happened in the playoffs one year. I've done that once but I wasn't prepared to break any rules at the NHL level."

NJ.com

I had my whole jersey done by Exclusive Pro (they do all the NHL teams' jerseys so it's 100% authentic)

www.exclusivepro.com/

First, I am not trying to call you out, merely to inform. But I believe this is an inaccurate statement in them doing ALL the NHL teams. For starters, not every NHL team has a stitched on name (SEE Nashville). There are at least a two other suppliers who do the lettering for teams. IF I recall doesn't Custom Crafted still do the St. Louis and Boston?

First, I am not trying to call you out, merely to inform. But I believe this is an inaccurate statement in them doing ALL the NHL teams. For starters, not every NHL team has a stitched on name (SEE Nashville). There are at least a two other suppliers who do the lettering for teams. IF I recall doesn't Custom Crafted still do the St. Louis and Boston?

Nashville's jerseys are pressed or just the name plates?

I'm really happy about this. I'm not at all worried about him leaving, so he's the man I want with the C on his chest. I hope he gets right back into the swing of things this season and leads this team to the top of its potential. A leader is one thing we've really needed the last few seasons and with Parise/Kovalchuk at the helm I think this team is starting the upswing again.

Nashville's jerseys are pressed or just the name plates?

I'm not sure what "pressed" means. But the nameplate is sublimated (dyed) there is no stitching what-so-ever to create the letters and look. I believe the nameplate is sewn onto the jersey then, but I have not seen this year's or last year's in hand yet.

• Like 1

To quote A River Runs Through It:

I am pleased.

Yes. I am pleased.

Fine movie reference, PK. And yes, I'm quite pleased with the naming. The obvious and best choice for all involved. And yes, I only respond to things when they are movie related...I'm a touch obsessed. :-D

I love how almost all of you talk like you personally know Parise and Kovy. Fact is, we don't know what Parise or Kovy were thinking when they signed their respective contracts, we don't know Kovy signed the contract for the money, I think he signed it because he believed he had a good chance of winning the cup here but some people may think differently. Nevertheless, I think giving Parise the C was the right choice, he's been here longer and has earned it.

Edited by Parisalchuk

Many have been reading way too much into this and have also been overstepping actual knowledge regarding locker room dynamics and personal motiviation of individual players. Who gives a *&^$ who the captain is?

This team will either gel or it won't. The young talent will either play to their potential or disappoint. Brodeur will either continue to be his usual stellar self or the decline may happen. Another new coach will either work or it won't. Leadership will play some role in this but it won't be impacted by who has a letter "C" sewn on their jersey.

I love how almost all of you talk like you personally know Parise and Kovy. Fact is, we don't know what Parise or Kovy were thinking when they signed their respective contracts, we don't know Kovy signed the contract for the money, I think he signed it because he believed he had a good chance of winning the cup here but some people may think differently. Nevertheless, I think giving Parise the C was the right choice, he's been here longer and has earned it.

I actually think almost everyone here acknowledges that we don't know Parise and Kovy personally, which is why we spend so much time trying to guess what they are thinking.

Honestly, I think the majority of fans are happy to see this because Parise has been viewed as a huge part of the team over the past few years and hopefully the future as well. I just want a better year and a playoff run and Parise to help me have some playoff memories that rival my olympic memories of him. Here is to a great start to the season, LGD!

Edited by newarkdev01

I can't say I love Parise's comments about not trying to change anything about what he does. That has been the problem in the past with Langs and Elias adjusting to the new responsibilities. You have to make some changes. You do need to be more vocal. Leading by example is good, but you have to be a leader of men, and that includes being more vocal and demanding of the team, taking young players under his wing and showing them ropes.

I hope he gets some advice form both Jamie and Patty about this adjustment, since they both never got comfortable in their new roles. If things go south early, you have to have a different mindset as Captain of a hockey team.

I'm okay with that attitude. It always seemed like Patty WAS trying to change, and it affected him on the ice. Didn't seem to make a huge difference in the locker room either. Zach's been a leader. I don't think he should change his attitude because he's officially the leader. The Devils have always been at their best when many voices are heard. Zach may deal more with the media, and he may start the meetings now, but I don't buy that he should be making huge changes.

Do I care just win hockey games show some scoring ability. It's simple more GF than GA.

In the immortal words of Crash Davis: sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains.

• Like 1

Hope parise will wake up with the C on his jersey (i am worried with the way he play 2 of 3 preseason games)... I still think kovalchuk is the one who deserve it but hey its my opinion.

Ilya dont need a C to be the leader of this team and giving Zach the C will help to resign him.

I have a spoiler for you... Bettman at the end of the playoff will said... Zach parisé come get the stanley cup!

i predict Zach having a slow start... which is normal after missing a whole year and everything and its alright

but i can already hear people saying that he can't handle the pressure of the captaincy and stupid stuff like that lol

haha those are just people wanting to hate. im pretty sure a statement like that has no basis. What part of Parise (who is one of the best leaders/hustlers/playmakers ive seen in a while) can't handle a little extra pressure?

Where has all this Kovalchuk leadership bull$hit come from. I like the guy , i like his attitude but until recently he couldn't deal with the responsibility of of being the teams most high profile and well paid player!

Zach has demostrated from the begining the commitment he brings to the team and his intensity shows on the ice. His work ethic and conduct set an example and personify what it is to play for the franchise and what we stand for.

The olympic final is all the evidence you need as to why he should be captain. Huge pressure, huge moment and he kept his cool and did what had to be done.

People are entitled to their own oppinions yada yada ya, but i cant see how anyone can really argue against this decision.