Flyers' Johnsson has broken hand

djstubbs

Flyers' Johnsson has broken hand

Canadian Press

4/19/2004

VOORHEES, N.J. (AP) - Philadelphia Flyers defenceman Kim Johnsson hopes to play in the team's second-round playoff series despite breaking a bone in his right hand.

``Right now it's better than yesterday, so I'm still looking forward for Game 1 on Thursday,'' Johnsson said Monday.

Johnsson, the Flyers' best defenceman, was injured late in Saturday's 3-1 series-clinching victory over the defending Stanley Cup champion New Jersey Devils. He was hit with the puck, and has a hairline fracture of the fourth metacarpal - the bone connecting the ring finger and the wrist.

``Kim has a chance to start this series,'' Flyers general manager Bob Clarke said. ``If he did and the fracture became displaced, we would have to put a couple of pins in his hand and he would be out at least two weeks.''

Johnsson will wear extra padding to soften any blows to his hand. He had one goal and five assists in five games against New Jersey, and had 13 goals and 29 assists for 42 points in the regular season.

``If he can't shoot the puck with any velocity or snap the puck, we'll bite the bullet for a game or two without him,'' Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock said.

Hitchcock said Johnsson wouldn't have been able to play if the Flyers had a game Monday because of the amount of swelling in his hand.

``I don't want him tentative. It's going to be his call,'' Hitchcock said.

The Flyers already are without defenceman Eric Desjardins for the playoffs because of a forearm injury.

If Johnsson doesn't play, Hitchcock said he'll move Sami Kapanen from forward to play defence. Kapanen played defence twice during the regular season, and welcomes the switch.

``It's a totally different game,'' Kapanen said. ``In order to play defence in the playoffs, you have to go out and compete and make those simple plays, stay out of the trouble.''

Hitchcock said Kapanen has bugged the coaches about playing defence since getting a taste of it earlier in the season.

``Sami loves it back there,'' Hitchcock said. ``He feels he creates more on the rush. He feels he's more of an impact on the offence from back there.''

Im glad its broken.

I'm glad Stevens has concussion problems.

HAHAHA -- thats funny.. since they all came on this site and had no problem knocking Stevens and wishing his career would be ended by a hit if he comes back.. and now they get defensive cause of a broken hand comment!

Its like theres some sort of Double Standard for Flyers fans???

and now they get defensive cause of a broken hand comment!

We have no need to get defensive. We will be fine without him for 1-2 games. We have Kapanen back on defense and Seidenberg ready to go if needed. That's the difference, we have someone to fill in in case of an injury. You didn't when it came to Stevens.

Shred...do it this way:

1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!!

1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!! 1975!!!

:uni::evil:

Im glad its broken.

I'm glad Stevens has concussion problems.

HAHAHA -- thats funny.. since they all came on this site and had no problem knocking Stevens and wishing his career would be ended by a hit if he comes back.. and now they get defensive cause of a broken hand comment!

Its like theres some sort of Double Standard for Flyers fans???

Putting the Flyers fan part aside, It's ignorant to wish an injury on anyone, regardless. Glad to see you guys are extremely sore losers. I made my comment in jest, as I don't really feel that way, but if you make an ignorant comment, you get one in return.

As far as 1975, is that supposed to make me feel bad? I wasn't even alive then, so how can something like that bother me? :noclue: Face it, you guys are complete scumbags, and any cups won by your GM was wasted on your depleted fanbase. Leaf fans are more respectable than you, and that's saying a lot.

As far as 1975, is that supposed to make me feel bad?

It doesn't bother me in the least. We played hockey between then and now and have this to show for it. Add 2003-2004 Atlantic Division Champs in there as well:

Flyers

The only thing the Devils have is a few banners. It doesn't show when they win the Cup, the arena always looks the same. Empty seats either way. It's a shame really. Most of the teams sold out their playoff games except the Devils, surprises no one. Most people are glad that the Devils are out of the playoffs. :uni:

Putting the Flyers fan part aside, It's ignorant to wish an injury on anyone, regardless. Glad to see you guys are extremely sore losers.

Don't let a couple of knuckleheads taint the rest of the bunch.

For the most part, most of us have given your team more than its fair share of props for winning the series.

It's not fair for you to just group us all as sore losers when that's not true at all.

Whatever. You guys are a bunch of hypocrites. Go look on the Flyers board. Everyday there is a thread called F the Debbies. They were jumping for joy when the found out Stevens had PCP. Your team finally won a series and now you are here everyday to gloat. and don't act like you're not. Even your own board is making fun of you duh

Edited by Devs25

Whatever. You guys are a bunch of hypocrites.

You want hockey, go to orange&black. That is the more civilized site for hockey.

I do post there but if I want to really get into it about hockey, I go to orangeandblack.net. Someone just said don't lump us with other people, same thing applies here.

Even your own board is making fun of you

No, they are talking about Devil fans.

Here's another classy post:

You can honestly expect Flyer fans to be civil after the 9 years the Flyers have gone through with the Devils, do you? :noclue:

You can honestly expect Flyer fans to be civil after the 9 years the Flyers have gone through with the Devils, do you? 

ok..... but you expect the Devils fans to be civil after nine years? Calling the Devils fans classless. There isn't a photo of a Devils fan punching a Flyers fan in the face floating around the internet is there? like the Flyers one huh? Sounds hypocritical to me.

ok..... but you expect the Devils fans to be civil after nine years? Calling the Devils fans classless.

I didn't call you classless.

like the Flyers one huh? Sounds hypocritical to me.

A photo sounds hypocritical? Fans get in fights sometimes. Somehow, this managed to get into print. We have good fans and bad fans (Fatty Falcone fighting Domi in the penalty box). What do you care about 1 photo with everything your team has? :noclue:

ok, this is my last post. First, I want to say sorry to Pablo. It is unfair to lump all fans together. But, I had to prove my point that not all flyers fans are saints.

A photo sounds hypocritical?

Ok, I meant your whole post was hypocritical.

I brought up that photo because some, not all, Flyer fans love that photo and get joy out of it. And to prove that all teams have classless fans. I've seen people on Flyers boards post that pic. You know what though? I don't go to the Flyers board and feel compelled to put in my 2 cents. It's their board they can do whatever they want.

Ok, I meant your whole post was hypocritical.

I brought up that photo because some, not all, Flyer fans love that photo and get joy out of it. And to prove that all teams have classless fans. I've seen people on Flyers boards post that pic. You know what though? I don't go to the Flyers board and feel compelled to put in my 2 cents. It's their board they can do whatever they want.

Good for you that you don't feel compelled to go to a Flyers board. Some Devil fans, not all, do feel compelled to go over and give their two cents on an issue. They are more than welcome to do it. Some places you will get a better reception than others. Just because you don't do it doesn't mean everyone shouldn't do it.