2013 Miami Dolphins Thread

Daniel

GREAT move by Ireland because he only had to give up the 42nd pick to move up 9 spots. And he gets the stud edge rusher, NOT the o-lineman all the morons on TV were all convinced he'd go for. Props to Jeff Ireland, keep that sh!t rolling the rest of the draft.

As long as Alberts is your LT before the 2nd Round starts today it's a GREAT job.....that's too important a hole to leave just sitting there.....

Yeah I think the Albert deal gets done today- I'm hoping Ireland can convince KC to take one of our two 3rds rather than #54.

Yeah I think the Albert deal gets done today- I'm hoping Ireland can convince KC to take one of our two 3rds rather than #54.

Yeah, I think they'll either give up a third this year, or a second next year.  KC has a lot less leverage now than they did a couple of days ago. 

If they pull that off it's a MASSIVE win, turning that disaster of giving Marshall away into something good....

KC lost all their leverage once they picked yesterday.....

If they pull that off it's a MASSIVE win, turning that disaster of giving Marshall away into something good....

KC lost all their leverage once they picked yesterday.....

Agree.   Unless KC can keep him, which would give them a pretty strong O-Line

NFL Network:  Browns and Dolphins haggling over Devon Bess in a trade.

Yeah that's been the news on NFL Radio on XM/Sirus for like 36 hours now....amazing how they can haggle for so long over someone so barely relevant :ninja:

I'm hoping Albert is still a possibility for a 2014 pick. He's been bitching about not wanting to play RT, so I think KC would still prefer to get something for him rather than having him be unhappy and then walk away for nothing next year. As far as yesterday goes- loved the Jamar Taylor pick in the 2nd round, but the 3rd round was very meh. Hope Ireland can find good value with 2 4's and 2 5's today.

Edited by MadDog2020

Love the move for Jordan and the draft of Taylor.  You had 2 major needs in the draft: LT and pass defense, and your first two picks were moves that should solidify your pass defense. A good pass rush also helps make your corners look better as well.  

I like the Thomas pick in the 3rd round because, as a projected guard in the NFL, I think he'll push Incognito and Jerry to either up their game or hit the bench. 

I think Sims will be a monster blocker in the run game.  Maybe he learns to catch, maybe he doesn't, but guys like Lamar Miller, Daniel Thomas, and Mike Gillislee love seeing a guy like that drafted.

The rest I'm a bit "meh" about.  Gillislee will either push Daniel Thomas or be a depth player.  Will Davis fills a need, so I'm all for bringing him in.  Jelani Jenkins doesn't seem to project higher than special teams.  Kickers are kickers, and while Carpenter literally cost us 2 games last year just on game-winning FG attempts I suspect we could have signed a kicker to push him after the draft (but am not fully sure on that).  Anything we get from Don Jones is a bonus.  

My outlook on this draft is positive.  Fans on NFL.com gave the draft a B overall, and I don't feel I need to dispute that.  Now we just need a left tackle.

Good draft. Glad to see Ireland show balls by going up and getting a potential difference maker on defense. Loved the Jamar Taylor pick. Really loved the Mike Gillislee pick. Value, Gillislee isn't depth, he and Miller are gonna be the guys. Gillislee was a stud at Florida, that could be a steal in the 5th round. I actually liked taking Caleb Sturgis as well, dude's a money kicker who's crazy accurate and doesn't make $3 mil a year- meaning he's the anti-Carpenter (who should start packing his bags). I didn't care for the decision in the 3rd round to pass on Stedman Bailey and then trade down, only to trade back into the 3rd to draft Will Davis. I've not read great things about Davis. I hope Coyle can work with him and coach him up. Liked that we were able to nab a big red-zone target TE in Dion Sims in the 4th. Overall, I liked what we did. I'd give it a B+.

Edited by MadDog2020

This seems like a very boom or bust kind of draft, and it's success will utlimately turn on how good Jordan turns out to be.  I don't profess to have any kind of scouting ability, but generally you shouldn't get your hopes up too much on anything past the second round.  If Jamar Taylor turns out to be as good as Sean Smith (an above-average CB), it'll be a good result, but not anything that will help you challenge Brady.  Everyone thinks that the mid-round RB you draft is going to turn into Arian Foster or Alfred Morris.  Nine times out of ten, they end up being Lex Hilliard. 

Me personally, I think it's an offense driven league.  That's why the Bears are usually a borderline playoff team, whereas the Patriots and any Peyton Manning led team are in the Super Bowl conversation every single year.  If I had my druthers, I would have liked the Phins to have kept the 12 pick and draft Eiffert (which was evidently the plan if the trade with the Raiders didn't happen).  You can never have too many weapons for a QB, and Eiffert is as much of a game changer that you could get with that pick in this year's draft.  Jordan is seen as being that too.  But I guess I'm nervous about the fact that his draft status seemed to go up based on his combine performance.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

Overview: GM Jeff Ireland was pick-rich after unloading Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis -- two premier NFL starters -- for pennies on the dollar. Those bad trades are factored into Miami's grade. After more trades, the Fins wound up turning the two Marshall third-rounders into Michael Egnew, B.J. Cunningham, blocking tight end Sims, and part of the deal that brought underwhelming corner prospect Davis. For Vontae, they got Taylor straight up. Jordan has a chance to be the best player in this draft class. I like Taylor. Gillislee could be a year-one upgrade on Daniel Thomas if he demonstrates consistency in pass protection. Jones has starter measurables and offered value at the tail end of day three. But Ireland can't be let off the hook for his past talent-shaving trades just because he snuck them into last offseason. The Fins are still paying the piper, and after nauseatingly producing four consecutive losing seasons Ireland has cost himself all possible benefit of the doubt.

Grade: D+

For what it's worth

Miami Dolphins

Picks: DE Dion Jordan, CB Jamar Taylor, OT Dallas Thomas, CB Will Davis, OLB Jelani Jenkins, TE Dion Sims, RB Mike Gillislee, K Caleb Sturgis, SS Don Jones.

Analysis: GM Jeff Ireland takes a lot of heat from Miami fans and some of it is deserved. But his past two drafts have been strong despite being very different. Last year, Ireland was in a much more desperate situation to get a quarterback, but stayed put at No. 8 and still got Ryan Tannehill. This year, Ireland wasn't as desperate, but was aggressive in getting Jordan, the consensus pick as the top pass rusher in the draft. The price to move up was cheap (only a second-rounder) and Ireland still came up with a couple of young cornerbacks to help his depleted secondary. Between this draft and free agency (WR Mike Wallace, CB Brent Grimes), the Dolphins have brought in a serious amount of talent, particularly on defense.

Grade: A

Conversely.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...