GDT Olympic Quarterfinals

eaglejelly

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Metal Round? :rock::rock::rock:

Methinks the Nordic countries would kill it.

It'd be a walk in the park. Sweden - Finland in the final for sure. Maybe the US could compete, but they'd be thrown off their game by having to negotiate new deals with Hot Topic between periods. Norway could also put up a decent effort, but most of their "players" had their heyday in the early/mid 90s.

Edited by Marshall

I can't even make fun of Ranger fans for Queen Suckfest blowing the game because they will say the same about Marty. Either way I can't wait to hopefully see this US team in a Metal round. I think Finland beat us last year so lets come out on FIRE WE WANT GOLD!!!!!!!

Marty did steal a game for Canada in the shootout. Luongo has had very little to do with Canada's success thus far.

It'd be a walk in the park. Sweden - Finland in the final for sure. Maybe the US could compete, but they'd be thrown off their game by having to negotiate new deals with Hot Topic between periods. Norway could also put up a decent effort, but most of their "players" had their heyday in the early/mid 90s.

Sweden would be the winner. Anders Friden with the game winner in the shootout.

Marty did steal a game for Canada in the shootout. Luongo has had very little to do with Canada's success thus far.

+1000 Marty HAD to steal the game vs the Swiss. Canada scored an unbelievable 23 goals over the 3 games Luongo played. (8 vs Norway, 8 vs Germany, 7 vs Russia) He didn't play that great last night and it did not matter. The goaltending since they pulled Marty has been irrelevant for Canada. Marty or Fleury (or virtually any other goaltender for that matter) could have played and they would be in the same position they are today.

Come on Liz. I know you love him but Louie made a few important saves early before it went from 1 to 3-zip. Sometimes, goalie changes spark teams. Canada's played much better since Babcock went to Luongo and adjusted his lines.

Come on Liz. I know you love him but Louie made a few important saves early before it went from 1 to 3-zip. Sometimes, goalie changes spark teams. Canada's played much better since Babcock went to Luongo and adjusted his lines.

Would you attribute Canada's "spark" to the goalie change or the line adjustments?

Both. When a team makes a change in net, it sends a message. Most agree that Canada wasn't good against Team USA. And that was from the goal out. When they went to Marty in 2002, there weren't any complaints. In a short tournament like this, it happens.

Edited by Derek21

Marty made key saves in the USA game and Canada still lost. What's love got to do with it? I call 'em as I see 'em. I don't recall any key saves by Lu and he gave up softies. Roenick and Co commented on Lu wouldn't need a shower after the game. Marty didn't have a great game against USA, but he had a good one. Luckily it wasn't an elimination game. Sadly for Sweden, Henny crapped out when it counted. And Nabokov blew it for Russia. He should've been pulled after the first. When I saw him in net instead of Bryzgalov, I knew the Russians were doomed.

Edited by LizDevil30

Because of the knee jerk reaction to change goalies, we will never know if that had anything to do with the turnaround for Canada. They should roll through Slovakia and other than USA and the Swiss, the Finns will give them competition. So Lu has a shot to show he was worth the switch.

...you're wasting your time. Thought & reason go out the window here, when the love for milk & cookies is just too darling to put down.

Edited by Beezer34

Marty made key saves in the USA game and Canada still lost. What's love got to do with it? I call 'em as I see 'em. I don't recall any key saves by Lu and he gave up softies. Roenick and Co commented on Lu wouldn't need a shower after the game. Marty didn't have a great game against USA, but he had a good one. Luckily it wasn't an elimination game. Sadly for Sweden, Henny crapped out when it counted. And Nabokov blew it for Russia. He should've been pulled after the first. When I saw him in net instead of Bryzgalov, I knew the Russians were doomed.

This isn't about Hank, who actually had little chance on at least 3. I'm here to talk about Marty, who was as subpar as he's been for at least a month hurting my fantasy team's chances. It is what it is. The Russian coach Bykov was terrible not taking Nabby out after first. But that's not the only reason Russia was humiliated. Politics had a lot to do with what happened in how they selected the team. They just don't get it.

+1 Liz. Agree with you here.

You and I are some of the loyal Brodeur fans here Liz and that will never change. I REFUSE to blame the loss on Brodeur as some here have and have thrown Brodeur under the bus. It's wrong and it was not handeled very well with the media and with dipsh!t coach Mike Babcock. luongo has shown me nothing to prove that he is better than Brodeur in goal for Team Canada. It so happens that Luongo played against softies like Norway and Germany. The Russia game Team canada came out with a bullrush of a game where anyone in goal that game could have one as well.

I hope Luongo get lit up like a Xmas tree tomorrow night vs. Slovakia. I think Slovakia will play them tough and hope they have one more upset in them. So Team USA vs. Slovakia for the Gold on Sunday! That is who I am rooting for.

+1 Liz. Agree with you here.

You and I are some of the loyal Brodeur fans here Liz and that will never change. I REFUSE to blame the loss on Brodeur as some here have and have thrown Brodeur under the bus. It's wrong and it was not handeled very well with the media and with dipsh!t coach Mike Babcock. luongo has shown me nothing to prove that he is better than Brodeur in goal for Team Canada. It so happens that Luongo played against softies like Norway and Germany. The Russia game Team canada came out with a bullrush of a game where anyone in goal that game could have one as well.

I hope Luongo get lit up like a Xmas tree tomorrow night vs. Slovakia. I think Slovakia will play them tough and hope they have one more upset in them. So Team USA vs. Slovakia for the Gold on Sunday! That is who I am rooting for.

I try to ignore you...and I usually do...but you seem to have taken this to the next level. Buddy, what is wrong with you? Seriously, what is wrong with you? We heard you the first time, and the second, and the tenth, and probably the 50th time now. What's done is done. Why are you taking this out on Luongo? What the heck did he do? It's not like Team Canada had a crystal ball and knew that all of a sudden everything else would click. They couldn't score 3 goals against the Swiss, but they thought they could score 7 against Russia in two periods?

What happened to Brodeur was unfortunate. He didn't get any goal support, and if Canada plyed like they did last night against the US, he'd probably still be in nets. But not many people here are blaming the loss on Brodeur. And this board for the most part aren't Brodeur haters or anti-Brodeur. They are just calling a spade a spade. He did not play well. There was definitely some concern going against the Russians that they needed better goaltending. Although he made a few good saves, his stickhandling led to 3 US goals.

It turned out they didn't need better goaltending. Oh well. But it isn't like whole country of Canada is saying Canada is winning because of Luongo right now. Luongo has just benefited from the team success. And that is fine. Not like Brodeur needed to be perfect in a 7-1 semi-finals win against Belarus and a 5-2 win against the US in 2002.

Do most of us a favour (I don't want to talk for the entire board) and just let it go.

Hate is blinding as well. I have been as disappointed in Marty's performance the past month for the Devs as the next person. I completely agree with the idea he should sit more and Danis should play more. BUT when it comes to the Olympics, goalies cannot fail. The team can, because you can't bench the lot of them; it is easy to bench the goalie when you've brought three to the tournament. Bottom line is Marty did not cost the Canadians anything. And anyone that thinks the Canadians wouldn't have one their last two with him in net is deaf, dumb, and blind.

Both. When a team makes a change in net, it sends a message. Most agree that Canada wasn't good against Team USA. And that was from the goal out. When they went to Marty in 2002, there weren't any complaints. In a short tournament like this, it happens.

Oh come on, you think Canada got a jump out of it? Pretty sure it was the 30 million people in their country screaming for their heads. If Canada bothered to play like they did against the Russians against the US we wouldn't be having this conversation.

As a big fan of USA I'll say this, I am glad Loungo is in net and not Marty.