• Nov 12
    • Dec 12
    • Jan 13
    • Feb 13
    • Mar 13
    • Apr 13
    • Oct 13
    • Never

i want hockey back! this has gone on long enough. i've been ignoring all the crap between the nhl and nhlpa since the season was suppose to start. ive gotten excited several times these past months with hopeful negotiations. im just waiting for the day i see a tweet saying the season is back.

its really depressing that we may not be able to see playoff hockey this year which may be the most exciting thing on earth

I mean, Garroich is not the best source, but I've been saying this since the beginning - Fehr has the season cancellation in his back pocket, not the owners. The owners are going to get a great CBA out of this no matter where they eventually end up. The players have to pretend like they are crazy enough to torch their own paychecks in order to get anything out of ownership.

Pretend? I think Fehr wants to blow up the season and take on the NHL in court. This is not a 'win' for the baddest union head on the planet. Especially since he hasn't gone anywhere near 50-50 yet and the owners haven't budged on that (the PA offers include so much money outside the system the paper percentages are meaningless).

I don't think the PA wants to detonate the nuclear bomb but hopefully they've also made it known to Fehr that another lost season is unacceptable. I do worry they gave him too much power to get him to come out of retirement and he'll still drive the bus off the cliff.

Edited by NJDevs4978

@TGfireandice: RT @Real_ESPNLeBrun: An NHL player says the NHL made a new offer to the NHLPA on Thursday, one which moved on contract term limits, buyouts and variance...

@TGfireandice: RT @DarrenDreger: Among the changes in the new proposal, the NHL adjusted its max contract length from 5 to 6 yrs. Boosted the variance from 5% to 10%

@TGfireandice: RT @Real_ESPNLeBrun: New offer sees each team afforded one compliance buyout prior to 2013-14 season. Doesn't count vs. cap but it does vs. players' share

Was that so fkn hard, NHL? Christ, the momentum lost has been mind-boggling. Scratch out 1) All our new ST holders 2) the momentum gained in LA 3) the momentum gained in the NY/NJ area 4) the great progress seen in 'new' markets like Nashville, Carolina, Tampa.

Please accept this offer and save some face. Unfort, i feel Fehr is going to continue hardlining like hes done already on the other offers.

Daly:

"In light of media reports this morning, I can confirm that we delivered to the Union a new, comprehensive proposal for a successor CBA late yesterday afternoon. We are not prepared to discuss the details of our proposal at this time. We are hopeful that once the Union's staff and negotiating committee have had an opportunity to thoroughly review and consider our new proposal, they will share it with the players. We want to be back on the ice as soon as possible."

its going to go like this...

NHLPA: "Okay, we like to have a discussion on-"

Bettman and co."We out mother******!"

...season cancelled

Daly:

its going to go like this...

NHLPA: "Okay, we like to have a discussion on-"

Bettman and co."We out mother******!"

...season cancelled

More like

Fehr: we'd like to talk abo--

Bettman: "THIS IS HORSESH--

*owners tap Bettman on the shoulder*

Bettman: ...horseshoeingly and very much a good place to start.

interesting part of the new NHL proposal:

• Implementation of a weighted Draft Lottery in which all non-Playoff teams compete

for opportunity to choose first overall in the annual Draft.

. What exactly makes that interesting? There's been a lottery for years.

. What exactly makes that interesting? There's been a lottery for years.

Currently you can only move up 3 spots, it sounds like now whomever wins the draft lottery gets the first pick. More like NBA style draft lottery.

Devils missed out on drafting first overall if the NBA system had been in place.

Currently you can only move up 3 spots, it sounds like now whomever wins the draft lottery gets the first pick. More like NBA style draft lottery.

Devils missed out on drafting first overall if the NBA system had been in place.

Yeah, had we gone first overall we have gotten Larsson :P

. Got it- makes sense now. Thanks 731.

Pretend? I think Fehr wants to blow up the season and take on the NHL in court. This is not a 'win' for the baddest union head on the planet. Especially since he hasn't gone anywhere near 50-50 yet and the owners haven't budged on that (the PA offers include so much money outside the system the paper percentages are meaningless).

I don't think the PA wants to detonate the nuclear bomb but hopefully they've also made it known to Fehr that another lost season is unacceptable. I do worry they gave him too much power to get him to come out of retirement and he'll still drive the bus off the cliff.

Yes - remember when Fehr lost a season for the MLBPA? Oh wait - he lost 6 weeks of a season and the playoffs, plus a bit from 1995. This guy has been in this game for 25 years, you think he doesn't understand that missing paychecks sucks for players?

I agree that someone who got the ball rolling on a disclaimer of interest 2 months into the lockout is someone who sure looks like he's readying the troops to go to court. GMAFB. If the NHL throws in more make whole money they'll have a deal off this framework.

Yes - remember when Fehr lost a season for the MLBPA? Oh wait - he lost 6 weeks of a season and the playoffs, plus a bit from 1995. This guy has been in this game for 25 years, you think he doesn't understand that missing paychecks sucks for players?

I agree that someone who got the ball rolling on a disclaimer of interest 2 months into the lockout is someone who sure looks like he's readying the troops to go to court. GMAFB. If the NHL throws in more make whole money they'll have a deal off this framework.

And you don't think waiting to file a DOI is as much an attempt to look good for court as anything else? After the other PA's filed quickly and lost in court?

If Fehr wants a deal, let's see him negotiate off this framework. No more games, trying to get 55% under the table, shifting the goalposts...they need to negotiate off this deal and not their own fantasy of a deal. They have basically two weeks left, the NHL finally gave Fehr a drop dead date. Let's see a real negotiation now instead of PR bs like that 'we're close' press conference.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And you don't think waiting to file a DOI is as much an attempt to look good for court as anything else? After the other PA's filed quickly and lost in court?

No, not at all. The NBAPA and NFLPA still gained off their disclaimers, I don't believe they pursued it very far until a deal came. The NHL is not willing to risk this battle in court over what are effectively pennies. Too much of the NHLPA wants a deal now. Fehr is not Goodenow - he is listening to the entire union.

If Fehr wants a deal, let's see him negotiate off this framework. No more games, trying to get 55% under the table, shifting the goalposts...they need to negotiate off this deal and not their own fantasy of a deal. They have basically two weeks left, the NHL finally gave Fehr a drop dead date. Let's see a real negotiation now instead of PR bs like that 'we're close' press conference.

They are close. Tangotiger made this point - this offer barely moves off the other one. So if they weren't close, why is this one so similar to the last one?

Edited by Triumph

Of course they're going to hold out until 11:59 on January 10, that's where this script has been heading for months :lol: They have no reason not to at this point, can't lose another paycheck anyway unless the season officially gets canceled.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Of course they're going to hold out until 11:59 on January 10, that's where this script has been heading for months :lol: They have no reason not to at this point, can't lose another paycheck anyway unless the season officially gets canceled.

Especially since somehow every final offer and every take it or leave it offer has gotten better with time. I don't believe that deadline either. If the NHL hadn't established itself as being a completely untrustworthy negotiator, we wouldn't be in this position.

Remember when Make Whole was off the table? Ooh boy - that was a rough week for the union.

Edited by Triumph

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.