Stepan Offer Sheet?

Daniel

Obviously the Devils can't make one, but can any armchair capologists explain how the Rangers could match a $5 million AAV offer sheet while being cap compliant? Capgeek lists Rags with $2.1 million in cap space.

Not meant as another Rangers suck, or I think we can get Griffey and Bonds without giving up too much type thread. Just seems like someone would swoop in and take advantage while the cap is this low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CapGeek also has them with 14 forwards and 8 defense so that isn't completely accurate.  They shed one of their $1 million forwards and Aaron Johnson and they're up to almost $4 million.  They could start with Hagelin or Callahan on IR if they really had to since both are gonna miss at least the first few games.

I think if a team offered $5 million per and the Rags did not match they would get like 4 first round picks.
I think it's only a first, second and third, not sure in what years.The four first rounders is when AAV is over or around $8 million.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
CapGeek also has them with 14 forwards and 8 defense so that isn't completely accurate. They shed one of their $1 million forwards and Aaron Johnson and they're up to almost $4 million. They could start with Hagelin or Callahan on IR if they really had to since both are gonna miss at least the first few games.
Yeah, but both of those guys are eventually coming back. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

After Sathers comments, I wouldn't be surprised to see an offer sheet from a team. Too bad Lou doesn't believe in them. As far as room Lou is one creative SOB. Stepan would be a nice replacement for a Parise type player. The Rangers may be fortunate that everyone is jammed up with cap this year.

After Sathers comments, I wouldn't be surprised to see an offer sheet from a team. Too bad Lou doesn't believe in them. As far as room Lou is one creative SOB. Stepan would be a nice replacement for a Parise type player. The Rangers may be fortunate that everyone is jammed up with cap this year.

The Devils cannot make an offer sheet because they don't have a first round pick to make good on the compensation.

I think if a team offered $5 million per and the Rags did not match they would get like 4 first round picks.

no, for about 5m i think and im pretty sure they'd only get a first and a third. It has to be like 8m+ salary per year to have 4 first

which i could see teams gambling for... a first and a 3rd for a 25-30 team and getting Stepan is a pretty good deal

Edited by SterioDesign

The Devils cannot make an offer sheet because they don't have a first round pick to make good on the compensation. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I guess you overlooked the creative part by Lou.  It's all moot since Lou doesn't believe in operating that way despite all the logistics involved to ever consider it.  Also, starting an offer sheet war is not one to get involved in with the Rangers.

It'd force the Rangers to deal Brian Boyle and to move some money around, but I don't think teams want to get into an offer sheet war with the Rangers.
Most if not all of the teams that have the cap space to make a big offer sheet don't have much to worry about in the way of offer sheet retaliation. I suppose they could squeeze in by trading Boyle, but that gets difficult especially if the offer sheet comes when Callahan and Hagelin are back, which would be about a month into the season based on the reports I've seen. So an offer sheet is signed, and the Rags have a few days to trade Boyle. Other teams have their own cap issues to worry about, and there are a lot of teams that will not want to do Sather any favors. If Ryan O'Reilly got a $5 million AAV offer sheet, I don't see why someone won't try that much with Stepan, especially if the Rangers are in a precarious cap situation. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I guess you overlooked the creative part by Lou. It's all moot since Lou doesn't believe in operating that way despite all the logistics involved to ever consider it. Also, starting an offer sheet war is not one to get involved in with the Rangers.
There is no loophole, even if the Devils traded for a first rounder. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There's not many teams that can put out a poison pill sheet. They're either up against the cap, don't have a first round pick, or are budget teams that wouldn't be desirable in the first place. I think Buffalo is about the only team that realistically sheet him.

Isles could easily do it. Then they can throw big money at Lunqvist to really stick it to the Rags.

I guess you overlooked the creative part by Lou. It's all moot since Lou doesn't believe in operating that way despite all the logistics involved to ever consider it. Also, starting an offer sheet war is not one to get involved in with the Rangers.

It has to be the teams' own pick. The Devils don't have a first rounder in 2014

Yeah, the Rangers are not a team I'd want to get into a pissing contest with.

What'd the Flyers do with the Weber offer sheet? Offer a 15m signing bonus for each of the first few years of the contract? Perhaps not that extreme, but you get my point. The big market teams can easily cause hell for a smaller market team / less wealthy owner.

fvcking despise the Rangers, but you have to at least appreciate the bottomless pockets of Dolan.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Yeah, the Rangers are not a team I'd want to get into a pissing contest with.

What'd the Flyers do with the Weber offer sheet? Offer a 15m signing bonus for each of the first few years of the contract? Perhaps not that extreme, but you get my point. The big market teams can easily cause hell for a smaller market team / less wealthy owner.

fvcking despise the Rangers, but you have to at least appreciate the bottomless pockets of Dolan.

Again, if you look at the teams that could do it, they don't have to worry about offer sheet retaliation anytime soon.

Plus, a Weber like deal is a thing of the past. Ultimately the ability to match an offer sheet will come down to how good you think a player is and the cap hit.

Offer sheets in general are frowned upon. There's like a code. The Flyers (Weber), Blues (Kesler) and Canucks (Backes) are all examples along with the Oilers (Vanek). Edmonton offer sheeted Penner after the Ducks' Cup year and Anaheim didn't match. It didn't exactly pan out for the Oilers.

Hasan is correct. The Rangers can clear enough room to fit Stepan in. Callahan is said to be closer than Hagelin. Personally, I'd like to see Slats dump Asham. Pyatt might also be a candidate. But he has history with Vigneault and has looked decent. Boyle is too valuable to move. Still a top face off and penalty kill guy. Moore's addition gives them more flexibility. As far as Sather's comments, what would you expect? D-Step has no arbitration rights and he's doing what he always does with restricted. Once the dust settles, I expect the two sides to agree on a bridge deal around $3 million.

Offer sheets in general are frowned upon. There's like a code. The Flyers (Weber), Blues (Kesler) and Canucks (Backes) are all examples along with the Oilers (Vanek). Edmonton offer sheeted Penner after the Ducks' Cup year and Anaheim didn't match. It didn't exactly pan out for the Oilers.

Hasan is correct. The Rangers can clear enough room to fit Stepan in. Callahan is said to be closer than Hagelin. Personally, I'd like to see Slats dump Asham. Pyatt might also be a candidate. But he has history with Vigneault and has looked decent. Boyle is too valuable to move. Still a top face off and penalty kill guy. Moore's addition gives them more flexibility. As far as Sather's comments, what would you expect? D-Step has no arbitration rights and he's doing what he always does with restricted. Once the dust settles, I expect the two sides to agree on a bridge deal around $3 million.

I think offer sheets don't happen that often because they're almost always futile and then you're really just being a dick for offering one.

However, when you have a realistic shot at actually getting a player it makes more sense. From some team's perspective it's a one in a lifetime chance to get a 23 year old first or second line center for a few draft picks.

Isles could easily do it. Then they can throw big money at Lunqvist to really stick it to the Rags. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Isles spending money, I'll believe it when I see it.    Spending $5-6M per on Stepan at the cost of future ELC fodder.    Ain't happening.

Isles could easily do it. Then they can throw big money at Lunqvist to really stick it to the Rags. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Isles spending money, I'll believe it when I see it. Spending $5-6M per on Stepan at the cost of future ELC fodder. Ain't happening.

Wang has the unfair reputation of being a cheapskate. He isn't. If he were the Isles would be in Kansas City or Seattle by now.

Offer sheets in general are frowned upon. There's like a code. The Flyers (Weber), Blues (Kesler) and Canucks (Backes) are all examples along with the Oilers (Vanek). Edmonton offer sheeted Penner after the Ducks' Cup year and Anaheim didn't match. It didn't exactly pan out for the Oilers.

Sather really shouldn't be criticizing ANYONE...he's mostly been a colossal fvck-up since becoming the Rangers' GM, but yet somehow retains his arrogance.  One Conference Final appearance in his entire time there.  Seemingly countless bad contracts signed under his watch, and very little creativity shown in his moves.  His track record would've gotten him canned from almost any other organization, but Dolan thinks the guy walks on water, so apparently he has a job for life.   

Wang has the unfair reputation of being a cheapskate. He isn't. If he were the Isles would be in Kansas City or Seattle by now. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Islanders used every trick in the book to get over the salary floor.  They signed horrible veterans to bonus-laden contracts.  They promoted young players too early so that their bonuses would count against the floor.  They traded for the contract of a guy who wasn't playing but whose contract would count on the cap.  If they're not cheap, I don't know who is.