GDT: Philthadelphia Failures @ New Jersey Devils

Coorslight

Am I the only one that feels like we really got outplayed at points but Marty standing tall and the Flyers catching a bunch of bad breaks has helped us.

I agree. The Devs are very thin right now. They need a lot of help. You can't play a whole season with 2 and half lines. They need a complete 3rd line. Right now, they have a first line a shabby 2nd and a 4th.

Not trying to be a sore winner, just an honest question: Didn't the league put in a rule against fights in the final minutes of a game in which one team was well ahead of the other? IIRC, it all came around because the Flyers gooned it up against the Senators many moons ago. Anyway, do tonight's fights in the final minutes fall under this rule?

Not trying to be a sore winner, just an honest question: Didn't the league put in a rule against fights in the final minutes of a game in which one team was well ahead of the other? IIRC, it all came around because the Flyers gooned it up against the Senators many moons ago. Anyway, do tonight's fights in the final minutes fall under this rule?

That's what I was thinking. IIRC, both players are automatically suspended for their team's next game, no?

I could be totally wrong but I thought that's what was established.

Am I the only one that feels like we really got outplayed at points but Marty standing tall and the Flyers catching a bunch of bad breaks has helped us.

Yeah, despite the score I thought they were really outplayed in the 1st. Final two periods were much better.

We've gotten away with it so far but I still think the biggest weakness is that 3rd line with Carter/Gionta/Bernier. They had 1 shot between them despite logging 11+ minutes each. They really seemed to get outplayed a lot tonight.

Tedenby was also a no-show; no shots, only 7 minutes of ice time, and a silly penalty.

Edited by nmigliore

I believe if there is an instigator penalty in the last five minutes now there are suspensions and fines to the coach.

I believe if there is an instigator penalty in the last five minutes now there are suspensions and fines to the coach.

You're right, just looked it up. Rule 46.12 and 46.22. Without someone getting assessed an instigator, the discussion is moot.

Never mind, carry on.

barbrady.jpeg

Matteau could stay up all year, but I feel his development and our business will be better off sending him down to Juniors for the year. Seems like Darche will be signed to fill his spot and role. Either way I love his game and am excited to maybe not have Matteau be my least favorite name on earth after a few good seasons from him. Nickname the Devils Spawn or Spawn of the Devil?

Nice win. Devils played horribly in the first but bounced back in the final 2 periods. Some luck on the Clarkson goal and the penalty shot didn't seem entirely deserved but wow has Kovalchuk become money on those plays.

Love Josefson getting 17 minutes. Tedenby got stapled to the bench after his terrible point coverage + penalty - that seemed inevitable. It was fun when he wasn't in the doghouse though. Matteau - 3 shots again, makes some nice reads in the offensive zone, but in the defensive zone he needs work. It's going to be a tough decision but I think he will be sent back. Still, unless he regresses, won't be that hard to pencil him in on next year's team.

• Like 1

Anyone remember when Engblom (I think) talked about how good the Devils were during the playoffs shutting things down after getting big leads? Like giving up 3 goal leads to Florida and the Rangers and a few two goal leads. Are they that bad with all teams, or is this unique to the Devils?

Even when the press is trying to compliment us, they still get it wrong.