2014 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

Craig Button just released the September edition of Craig's List and Future Considerations has their 1st Top 30 out.

Some notable names:

C Sam Reinhart (Kootenay - WHL) - Griffin's brother, over a point-per-game in WHL career, Kootenay captain

D Aaron Ekblad (Barrie - OHL) - long time highly touted prospect who was the 1st D ever to be granted "exceptional status" to enter OHL a year early at age 15, just captained Canada's team at the Ivan Hlinka tournament (Gold Medal)

LW William Nylander (Rogle - SWE) - Michael's son, excelled at the U20 level for Sodertalje and briefly in 8 Allsvenskan games last year

RW Kasperi Kapanen (Kalpa - FIN) - Sami's son, played 13 SM-Liiga games as a 16 yr old last year

LW Leon Draisaitl (Prince Albert - WHL) - Looks like 1 of the best GER prospects in awhile, near point-per-game in his 17 yr old WHL rookie season

C Ryan MacInnis (Kitchener - OHL) - Al's son, did well last year for the USNTDP U-17 team and the US U-17 team abroad

RW Nikolai Goldobin (Sarnia - OHL) - Boucher's teammate last year, RUS import, had a point-per-game 17 yr old OHL rookie season

• 2 weeks later...

ISS Top 30 for September

Bob McKenzie's Top 15 for September

Hockey Prospect Free Preseason Newsletter (18 pages - includes Top 40 and lots of other info)

Reinhart, Ekblad, and Nylander seems to be the consensus top 3 heading into the year. I've read this draft isn't as strong as last year's, which to be fair, was considered to be a really strong draft. Still, there seems to be some intrique over who will rise/fall in the top 30, especially top 10. Maybe we'll see some interesting prospects in the middle rounds too that fall from an early high ranking.

• 3 weeks later...

A whole bunch of links:

ISS Top 30 for October

Craig's List Top 60 for October

Future Considerations Top 30 for October

Hockey Prospect Top 30 for October

CSS Preliminary 2014 North American Ones to Watch

CSS Preliminary 2014 International Ones to Watch

Youngblood Prospect Journal for September (OHL Draft Action free .pdf)

Youngblood Prospect Journal for October (OHL Draft Action free .pdf)

Looks like a lot of talent coming out of the OHL for this draft. Also seems to be a lack of international talent apart from Sweden.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Blah. A little depressing seeing how we dont own our first, but will be fun to track development throughout the year

Yeah, this thread is tits on a boar-hog to me until we've got some kind of chance to pick one of these guys. Not saying it can't happen, but until it does, I can't really get excited over someone else's potential prospects.

The OP puts a lot into this forum with his threads/posts regarding the minor leagues and the up and coming players.  If you don't like the information provided then don't read these type of threads. 

I'm aware of how much effort feisty puts into these and I apologize if I came off sounding dismissive of his efforts because I really do appreciate them, particularly in his prospects thread.

In prior years when we've had a first round pick I've been very active in these threads, but I don't see myself getting as excited or being as talkative about it this year, that's all.

• 2 months later...

I always like the December rankings because the scouts/media have had a decent amount of games to see the draft class to get a feel for it and because they are pre-WJC which could shake things up in January's rankings.

Future Considerations (Top 30)

-- They have Ekblad over Reinhart and still rank Nylander in the top 5.

-- They seem to like LW Brendan Perlini a lot more than HP.

Hockey Prospect (Top 30)

-- NJ native D Anthony DeAngelo of the Sarnia Sting makes his debut on their list. He just got cut from the US WJC team though.

-- Interesting that they have Reinhart over Ekblad and Nylander 9th.
-- Seems like an OHL/WHL heavy ranking and not a lot of D ranked that high up.

TSN Craig's List (Top 90)

Some interesting names he has just outside of his top 30 are:

-- LW Nikolay Goldobin (was teammates with Boucher last year, 68 pts in 68 games as OHL rookie last year, 52 points in 34 games this year).
-- RW Josh Ho-Sang (39 pts in 33 games this year).
-- LW Brendan Lemieux (Claude's son, 21 pts in 32 games this year).

December Edition of Youngblood (.pdf, follows the OHL prospects, also has top OHL FA Dane Fox interview)

Isn't the draft supposed to be weak this year?

Yeah, it's not regarded as being that great. Most of the 1st round talent at this point seems to be OHL forwards followed by WHL players. Some sons of ex-NHL players are ranked in the 1st/2nd round range which makes for some interesting story lines (William Nylander, Kasperi Kapanen, Ryan MacInnis, and Brendan Lemieux).

Yeah, it's not regarded as being that great. Most of the 1st round talent at this point seems to be OHL forwards followed by WHL players. Some sons of ex-NHL players are ranked in the 1st/2nd round range which makes for some interesting story lines (William Nylander, Kasperi Kapanen, Ryan MacInnis, and Brendan Lemieux).

So if there's a draft for Lou to lose a 1st in, it's this one.  Hopefully we finish high enough to make the lost pick not a big blow.

"This draft isn't that great" is something I feel I hear just about every year.

Recently the trend has been, "deepest draft in years" to "not that great" in a matter of months. The difference here is that there was never a time when this draft class was considered really good. That may or may not be due to McDavid being eligible next year.

Last year's draft seemed very strong, though.

I don't wanna derail this thread even more, but that's with a decade of hindsight. I doubt people were writing it up as a top 3 all-time draft prior to it.

I totally agree, all i was saying is that since that draft (which i remember was said to be a deep draft at the time), a number of people (who dont follow prospects and the draft) expectations of what a deep draft is has shifted and people are expecting that level of quality.

• Like 1

If I recall correctly, I think most outlets labeled last year's draft as a very strong one and that held up throughout the year. I want to say that the 2012 draft was originally labeled as a decent one but the enthusiasm around it tailed off closer to draft day. I could be wrong though. Those were the only 2 drafts I followed the whole year thru so I'm not sure about other years though I think coming into draft day, the 2011 one had a fair amount of excitement over the potential franchise players and other talent available in the 1st round, not sure how much excitement there was over the draft as a whole though.

I thought Hockey Prospect's Director of Scouting, Mark Edwards had an interesting quote on this year's draft class:

“A few things are becoming more clear as each week of viewings passes. This draft looks to be lacking what I would classify as a ‘can’t miss’ franchise player and I don’t see many defensemen being selected in the first round.”

I also forgot to post the ISS Top 30 for December ranking.

• 3 weeks later...