Ye Olde Goal Horn, CAA-style

Colorado Rockies 1976

To me, every excuse I've heard against "You Suck" reaks of insecurity. And I'd love for this stupid debate to end, and for people to just support the team in their own way and stop bickering over something that hurts absolutely no one. It's already derailed yet another perfectly good thread (and was derailed by the anti-You Suck crowd, FWIW :evil: ).

To each their own.

Also, I love the old horn, but the new one has grown on me. It took a while, but I've heard it enough now that it no longer sounds foreign. I'm actually ashamed to say I didn't even notice that they were using the old one on Saturday. I was probably too caught up in the Bob Arsena nostalgia and watching a grown man in a blue Malkin jersey talk sh!t with a 7-year-old two rows in front of him.

I, too, am sort of embarrased to admit that I didn't even notice the old goal horn on Saturday. I probably had too much going on around me -- i.e., my squirming little kid. I also didn't even notice Bob Arsena on the PA till the last minute to play in the period, "One minute!" But listening to the old clips, I do hear the difference in horn sounds. It's probably partly nostalgia, but I, too, like the old horn better.

As for the "Hey, You Suck!" debate that keeps seeping into other threads, it's obvious to me that this is not going away anytime soon. Even though many people think it's been beaten to death, someone should start a new thread but this time make it in the form of a poll so that we can get some actual numbers to go along with everyone's opinion. Title it something like "The 'Hey, You Suck' Chant." Just give two options: "Like it" and "Don't like it." And then let everyone have at it, giving their reasons why.

Edited by 95Crash

I personally hate it when lets say the ref makes a call 90% of the crowd disagrees with and where there are a lot of boos, people yell out "hey ref you ****ing idiot, get some glasses" or similar things, and I get some parent a few rows/seats away giving me a dirty look cause I had the audacity to say swear. So what? your kids probably already know every one in the book by the time you would bring them to a game. Just remind them they shouldn't copy what they see if you don't want them to repeat it.

Without a question I would have a conversation with you if you said that near me-even without children involved, be respectful as you are clearly in the wrong.

http://www.prucenter.com/resources/pdfs/PruCenter_FanGuide_REV7.pdf

Prudential Center Code of Conduct (pages 12/13):

* Guests shall be respectful of all other guests, fans, participants, referees, entertainers, athletes, arena staff and arena property.

* Guests shall refrain from using offensive language, making obscene gestures, throwing objects and possessing prohibited items.

Without a question I would have a conversation with you if you said that near me-even without children involved, be respectful as you are clearly in the wrong.

* Guests shall be respectful of all other guests, fans, participants, referees, entertainers, athletes, arena staff and arena property.

* Guests shall refrain from using offensive language, making obscene gestures, throwing objects and possessing prohibited items.

I totally agree with this. I am a young 20 year old. I do have a foul mouth however when I get to my seats I always do a quick scan to see where the little kids are. If they are very close to me, I watch what I say because every single kid, as we all were little kids at the Devils game at one point, are there to have fun, spend time with their moms and dads and enjoy the sport. These kids are OUR fanbase's future. Ofcourse its professional sports and you will hear things that you wouldnt want your kids to hear and repeat but that doesnt mean you can be out of control with what you say. We can be a loud fanbase.....we dont need to be outright obnoxious and all I am saying is the you suck chant is treading a fine line. Just my .02 cents so take it or leave it.

Oh well...since this thread that was supposed to be about bringing back the old goal horn has become a thread about "you suck" and proper fan conduct:

I don't parttake in the "you suck" chant. Not my thing. I stop at "HEY!" But "you suck" is not going anywhere. Admittedly I don't like hearing young children say it, but that's on their parents...which brings me to:

As a father of a three-and-a-half year old daughter, I am responsible for shaping her behavior and for teaching her manners. It's my job, my wife's job, and a few select others. I may not like other fans cursing and acting boorishly in front of her, but it's my responsibility to then explain to her why that repeating that behavior in public would reflect badly on her, and me as her father. No one else signed up for the job of raising my little girl, so I don't expect everyone else to magically start stifling themselves in her presence. The world is what it is. In reality, all I can do is try to be as positive an example for her as I can, and to point out why she shouldn't fall in with the negative ones.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Thank you for posting this as more and more people it seems to check their civility out at the door once they walk into the arena.

I know it's a sports event and these things happen, but just keep in mind your surroundings. If I see kids near me, I know to keep it down as I do not want to ruin it for them or their family.

Oh well...since this thread that was supposed to be about bringing back the old goal horn has become a thread about "you suck" and proper fan conduct:

I don't parttake in the "you suck" chant. Not my thing. I stop at "HEY!" But "you suck" is not going anywhere. Admittedly I don't like hearing young children say it, but that's on their parents...which brings me to:

As a father of a three-and-a-half year old daughter, I am responsible for shaping her behavior and for teaching her manners. It's my job, my wife's job, and a few select others. I may not like other fans cursing and acting boorishly in front of her, but it's my responsibility to then explain to her why that repeating that behavior in public would reflect badly on her, and me as her father. No one else signed up for the job of raising my little girl, so I don't expect everyone else to magically start stifling themselves in her presence. The world is what it is. In reality, all I can do is try to be as positive an example for her as I can, and to point out why she shouldn't fall in with the negative ones.

Thing is it seems that this kind of boorish behavior is getting worse and worse every year. Growing up in a family with season tickets, I do not remember back in the 90's and even through the early 2000's the fans being this bad. It just seems to get worse every year since we moved to Newark and not sure if it is just a sign of the times or what, but it needs to stop.

Anyways does anyone know of an email of a person that has some power to change something like the goal horn? I think if we just keep emailing the mgmt alias we will just get canned responses.

Edited by DevsMan84

Isn't it actually a .wav file and not a real horn, unlike our current one which is mounted above the scoreboard? While I love the old horn, it really made retro day more special and I'd love to see it as a once a year thing as long as we can score some damn goals. If I remember correctly it debuted in the short-lived 93 playoffs.

Isn't it actually a .wav file and not a real horn, unlike our current one which is mounted above the scoreboard? While I love the old horn, it really made retro day more special and I'd love to see it as a once a year thing as long as we can score some damn goals. If I remember correctly it debuted in the short-lived 93 playoffs.

To me the old horn sounded more like a big rig horn while the new one sounds like a train horn. I still like the older horn better and thought it was pretty unique amongst other NHL goal horns. It sounds like most teams use boat horns, especially at places like St. Louis.

I, too, am sort of embarrased to admit that I didn't even notice the old goal horn on Saturday. I probably had too much going on around me -- i.e., my squirming little kid. I also didn't even notice Bob Arsena on the PA till the last minute to play in the period, "One minute!" But listening to the old clips, I do hear the difference in horn sounds. It's probably partly nostalgia, but I, too, like the old horn better.

Love that "ooooone minute" call! However bad the game was, all three times I heard it actually made me downright giddy. I was 12-years old all over again, eating Skittles during intermission and racing my friends up the stairs of the CAA upper bowl. Funny how two little words can be a time machine.

Makes me even sadder than I didn't notice the horn.

Thing is it seems that this kind of boorish behavior is getting worse and worse every year. Growing up in a family with season tickets, I do not remember back in the 90's and even through the early 2000's the fans being this bad. It just seems to get worse every year since we moved to Newark and not sure if it is just a sign of the times or what, but it needs to stop.

Anyways does anyone know of an email of a person that has some power to change something like the goal horn? I think if we just keep emailing the mgmt alias we will just get canned responses.

Yeah I'd like to know that too. I was prepared to send a passionate e-mail about it, but I don't want to bother if I'm going to get the response that 26 did.

I'd say go ahead and email the mgmt address. As recently as a year ago I sent something to that address and it obviously made its way up the chain. I got replies from Rich Krezwick (President of Devils Arena Entertainment) and Christopher Modrzynski (COO/Senior Exec. VP), the latter of whom told me my note had been forwarded to Lou.

If enough fans pass along the same sentiment, it will get attention, and that email address is definitely not just a dumpster attached to an auto-reply. I can vouch for that.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

I'd say go ahead and email the mgmt address. As recently as a year ago I sent something to that address and it obviously made its way up the chain. I got replies from Rich Krezwick (President of Devils Arena Entertainment) and Christopher Modrzynski (COO/Senior Exec. VP), the latter of whom told me my note had been forwarded to Lou.

If enough fans pass along the same sentiment, it will get attention, and that email address is definitely not just a dumpster attached to an auto-reply. I can vouch for that.

I'll give it a shot then. Man how I'd love to hear that goal horn from now on...

HEYYYY fvckKKK YOUUUUUUU! Maybe we should start doing that, I mean it's definitely original :lol:

Lmao the board would surely implode. I don't see the problem with it, everyone hates the Devils & New Jersey already anyway :P

Edited by DevilsFanSteve30

Lmao the board would surely implode. I don't see the problem with it, everyone hates the Devils & New Jersey already anyway :P

And instead of putting our closed fist in the air during the heyyyyy we can stick out the middle finger! It would surely be an intimidating place to play if 17,000+ were doing that after every goal. :evil:

And instead of putting our closed fist in the air during the heyyyyy we can stick out the middle finger! It would surely be an intimidating place to play if 17,000+ were doing that after every goal. :evil:

Oooh, tough call. Middle finger vs. fist pump. State bird vs. state dance.

Love that "ooooone minute" call! However bad the game was, all three times I heard it actually made me downright giddy. I was 12-years old all over again, eating Skittles during intermission and racing my friends up the stairs of the CAA upper bowl. Funny how two little words can be a time machine.

I use to love yelling with the crowd, How much longer Bob? (or something to that effect) strategically timed to finish at the 1:00 minute call...