Oh these new owners are just dandy

RangersSuck23

tra·di·tion [truh-dish-uhthinsp.pngthinsp.pngn] Show IPA

noun

the handing down of statements, beliefs, legends, customs,information, etc., from generation to generation, especially byword of mouth or by practice: a story that has come down to us bypopular tradition.

something that is handed down: the traditions of the Eskimos.

a long-established or inherited way of thinking or acting: Therebellious students wanted to break with tradition.

a continuing pattern of culture beliefs or practices.

a customary or characteristic method or manner: The winner took avictory lap in the usual track tradition.

Here's the defintition of tradition from dictionary.com. Notice the words "generation to generation", "long established", "inherited", "continuing pattern"? These are words that are used to describe something that is done over a long period of time. Not 1 year, not 5 years and not 10 years. A generation certainly isn't 10 years. As a matter of fact, the Devils are arguably only in their 2nd generation of fans. So if we're going to play it by definition you're going to need something that stretches all the way back to early "Brendan Byrne" to hold some weight.

tra·di·tion [truh-dish-uhthinsp.pngthinsp.pngn] Show IPA

noun

the handing down of statements, beliefs, legends, customs,information, etc., from generation to generation, especially byword of mouth or by practice: a story that has come down to us bypopular tradition.

something that is handed down: the traditions of the Eskimos.

a long-established or inherited way of thinking or acting: Therebellious students wanted to break with tradition.

a continuing pattern of culture beliefs or practices.

a customary or characteristic method or manner: The winner took avictory lap in the usual track tradition.

Here's the defintition of tradition from dictionary.com. Notice the words "generation to generation", "long established", "inherited", "continuing pattern"? These are words that are used to describe something that is done over a long period of time. Not 1 year, not 5 years and not 10 years. A generation certainly isn't 10 years. As a matter of fact, the Devils are arguably only in their 2nd generation of fans. So if we're going to play it by definition you're going to need something that stretches all the way back to early "Brendan Byrne" to hold some weight.

See 4 and 5 under the definition of tradition. I could easily make an argument that the YS, rangers suck, earls dance party, etc. all fall under those portions of the definition. Nice try though. Now go get your shine box! I agree with DJ. None of this is all that important and we are arguing over nothing. Edited by Chuck the Duck

I just think the new ownership group is taking a new approach. JVB was great towards die-hards and established fans, but his marketing was laughably bad and promotion was almost non-existant other than practically giving away tickets to almost every game.

These new owners want to attract casual fans and families. Can't really argue with that approach as he is looking for new opportunities to expand and not just concentrating almost their entire efforts on fans whose money they already have like JVB did. That business model usually fails in the long run and JVB did just that.

I don't agree at all that the new owners are trying to attract casual fans. High ticket prices, dousing the atmosphere, and cruddy social media marketing is called doing well with casual fans?? they're doing a terrible job. I also don't agree that JVB was terrible with marketing. Granted, devils marketing is always a joke, but under JVB it grew leaps and bounds. Attendance was tremendous last season and the atmosphere got much better. Lets see if Harris' approach of pissing off hardcore fans and STH while simultaneously taking a piss poor approach to casual fans results in good attendance. I doubt it will.

One thing I'm not happy with at the arena is how they moved all the HS Hockey Jerseys and youth team jerseys to one corner of the arena. I thought it was awesome that they were spread throughout the arena and seeing kids looking for them and it was something pretty unique. I'm not blaming the owners for this but I would just like to know who idea it was; some of them are now so high up on the wall it's hard to make some of them out. Thankfully my HS's jersey is lower.

Conversely I do like how they have tried to make that area a destination with NHL 14, table top hockey, face painting, etc.. after years of just acting as a storage area with old jerseys from the Devils organization. They do need to do some house keeping on that jersey case. The Jersey Devils minor league team description sign has fallen down and the Lokomotiv pictures of fallen over. Also on the top concourse the Jersey Rocks window display on NJ music history needs some TLC; posters falling off and hanging off their easels. Finally some of the paper section numbers on the walls in the upper concourse are curling up; how about plastic section numbers with devils coleration. Would look more professional.

I also agree how the atmosphere at last nights game was down right awful. I can't believe how much attendance is down compared to last year!!

Edited by ChilltownDevs2673

I also agree how the atmosphere at last nights game was down right awful. I can't believe how much attendance is down compared to last year!!

I really don't think attendance is down that much. It's just that they're recording in a different manner, and therefor the numbers is smaller. The actual number of people doesn't seem any less than any other year. And I've been to close to 100 games at the Rock. I have a good idea what 15,000 or 16,000, or 14,000, etc person crowds look like. The attendance numbers don't seem right this year.

I agree with you! I was shocked with the reported numbers as well. I've been probably to close 80 games at the Rock and thought the same thing; it looks atleast 15,000 to me but I don't understand how they are recording numbers?!

I agree with you! I was shocked with the reported numbers as well. I've been probably to close 80 games at the Rock and thought the same thing; it looks atleast 15,000 to me but I don't understand how they are recording numbers?!

The Flyers game was 13,705, and I thought it was 15k easily.  The Pens game was 14,205 and I thought it was 16k easily.  Those are just two examples.  Regardless it is definitely depressing seeing those numbers.  Usually around January, the numbers pick up quite a bit though.

Anddd another thread dissolved into a goal song debate, again.  You know, it always seems to be the same people too..and it's not the pro-YS'ers I'm talking about here.

All of this is irrelevant though. Someone made a good point on Page 6 that all the new owners had to do was make the team financially stable and not meddle/micromanage in the everyday goings on of the arena and fans. What is and isn't a tradition is irrelevant. 

In the grand scheme of things, this year having the worst attendance in years, getting rid of Earl's Dance Party and the YS chant should be at the bottom of the priority list, and yet, every game that goes by, these little things are being changed and meddled with, when there's absolutely no need.

Bingo.  Especially the second half of the post.  

I don't agree at all that the new owners are trying to attract casual fans. High ticket prices, dousing the atmosphere, and cruddy social media marketing is called doing well with casual fans?? they're doing a terrible job. I also don't agree that JVB was terrible with marketing. Granted, devils marketing is always a joke, but under JVB it grew leaps and bounds. Attendance was tremendous last season and the atmosphere got much better. Lets see if Harris' approach of pissing off hardcore fans and STH while simultaneously taking a piss poor approach to casual fans results in good attendance. I doubt it will.

Agreed with this post, and I'll go so far as to say it's an awful approach they attempting to take, and it's going to backfire, big time.  JVB might not have had deep pockets, but he was at least getting butts in the seats.

As far as I'm concerned, by attempting to "increase the value to season ticket holders" they're pretty much dumping on everyone else.  And that isn't enticing me to become a season ticket holder, it's enticing me to spend less on this team than I was before.  Piss poor marketing, imo.  And getting these stupid emails weekly from Chris Parise about 'ticket deals' isn't changing my mind one bit.

And, for the record, I don't know where guys like Colin get this sense of obligation to spend money on the team.  It's admirable, I guess, but the bottom line is that we (and I'm talking all fans here, STH and the casuals) are the CONSUMERS.  I agree that it's ridiculous that some need to feel extremely pandered to, but I don't feel some compulsive need to spend money on a sh!t product (game-day experience, in this case).  We're constantly reminded that hockey is a business every offseason, and in no other business would someone pay stupid money for a product they're not interested in.

Oh, and..

Preds fans do it too.  "Sucks" after each opposing player name during intros was their's before it was ours.  I'm pretty sure.

Credibility = out the window.

Edited by Devilsfan118

tra·di·tion   [truh-dish-uhthinsp.pngthinsp.pngn]  Show IPA
noun
the handing down of statements, beliefs, legends, customs,information, etc., from generation to generation, especially byword of mouth or by practice: a story that has come down to us bypopular tradition.
something that is handed down: the traditions of the Eskimos.
a long-established or inherited way of thinking or acting: Therebellious students wanted to break with tradition.
a continuing pattern of culture beliefs or practices.
a customary or characteristic method or manner: The winner took avictory lap in the usual track tradition.

Cut the Jr. High BS with definitions as written in the dictionary.  This is not a valid way of showing level of intellect. :rolleyes:

I said arguably because i'm sure someone won't agree but, IMO, it's fact. This team is only in it's 2nd generation.

It's all good, though  :thumbsup:  Yeah, i'd be more worried about the on-ice product  :doh1:

All of your posts present a strong one sided opinion in which is your are correct and everyone else is wrong.  :puke:

To some people (and they know who they are) it is a hard concept. Or haven't you been following along?

To some people (you being the main culprit), ought to use correct words when stating your point.  Your head is hard.  A concept is difficult.  Check your favorite dictionary.

Your posts amount to constant :horse:  so you can join the list.

• Like 1

I really don't think attendance is down that much. It's just that they're recording in a different manner, and therefor the numbers is smaller. The actual number of people doesn't seem any less than any other year. And I've been to close to 100 games at the Rock. I have a good idea what 15,000 or 16,000, or 14,000, etc person crowds look like. The attendance numbers don't seem right this year.

I haven't been to the Rock yet this year, but even on tv, you can clearly tell attendance is significantly down.