Super Bowl 49!

CRASHER

Once again: Belichick is getting a free pass for what was the dumbest coaching decision in NFL history for 1 minute. Now since it is a win, it doesn't matter. Thei Patriots coach panicked or quit on them. The players didn't.

This is going to take me a while to get over.

Edited by devilsrule33

Once again: Belichick is getting a free pass for what was the dumbest coaching decision in NFL history for 1 minute. Now since it is a win, it doesn't matter. Their coach panicked or quit.

One coaching staff outdid the other with dumbfvckery.

Once again: Belichick is getting a free pass for what was the dumbest coaching decision in NFL history for 1 minute. Now since it is a win, it doesn't matter. Their coach panicked or quit. 

I can understand not calling the timeout after the catch...but after Lynch gets to the one-yard line then yeah the Pats gotta start using their timeouts.  If they'd used a timeout they might have even let him run it in after, all Brady would have needed was a FG to get to overtime and he would have had a minute and probably a timeout to do it.

There was so much stupid in the last minute my head hurts.  From the two preeminent organizations in the league no less.  And even though it probably wouldn't have mattered in the end how Seattle allowed themselves to get snookered in an offside when the Pats had no room to kneel down on the ball without taking a safety was also mind-boggling.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I can understand not calling the timeout after the catch...but after Lynch gets to the one-yard line then yeah the Pats gotta start using their timeouts.  If they'd used a timeout they might have even let him run it in, all Brady would have needed was a FG to get to overtime and he would have had a minute and probably a timeout to do it.

There was so much stupid in the last minute my head hurts.  From the two preeminent organizations in the league no less.  And even though it probably wouldn't have mattered in the end how Seattle allowed themselves to get snookered in an offside when the Pats had no room to kneel down on the ball without taking a safety was also mind-boggling.

I'm calling the timeout immediately. I feel this is where head coaches need an advisor standing next to them at all times for these situations. It's an absolute hectic time, and you need someone that can think and process quickly.

Carroll said he worried that with 24 seconds Lynch would get stuffed. Even if he does you have a timeout. In 5 seconds, I am thinking...

2nd down: Just smash it to Lynch. If he gets stuffed, call timeout obviously.

3rd down: Play action pass or a bootleg pass

4th down: Your best damn play from the 1 yard line. I say run.

It's such a shame since Seattle has every imaginable good option from the 1 with Wilson and Lynch. To throw such a high risk pass it is insane.

On another note, I do have to give props, for Butler for having the intuition to tackle Kearse after the catch at the 5. That easily could have been a get up and score play. Then on the next play, whoever tackled Lynch at the 1, wow. It looked like he had open daylight there, but someone just got enough to bring him down.

Edited by devilsrule33

I've never seen anything as bizarre as that last minute. You have the best RB at your disposal and he basically manhandled the Pats on 1st down. How hard is it for Lynch to get a yard? Carroll's explanation is absurd. Waste a down? On what planet? And a slant which Hasan said. If you don't run there, the back up play should be spread formation shotgun Wilson QB draw. I guarantee he scores. It is just unbelievable what happened. Unconscionable. For a coach who's been great, I am at a loss. Carroll cost the Seahawks a repeat. Not only that, but they went conservative up 24-14. That allowed the Pats to get momentum. Give them credit. Brady took advantage of the match-ups. 

This is easily one of the weirdest Super Bowls ever. The first quarter sucked. Most of the second was similar until the wild end to the half. The commercials were god awful except for that tortoise winning the race. The halftime show was solid. But I like Katy Perry. Then you had Seattle taking over the game. Then let it go with dumb calls. There was no rhythm. It was just odd. Belichick not using the timeout after the Tyree-like catch from Kearse. I guess the SB got an appropriate ending. 

The puppy commercial was better imo:)

I've never seen anything as bizarre as that last minute. You have the best RB at your disposal and he basically manhandled the Pats on 1st down. How hard is it for Lynch to get a yard? Carroll's explanation is absurd. Waste a down? On what planet? And a slant which Hasan said. If you don't run there, the back up play should be spread formation shotgun Wilson QB draw. I guarantee he scores. It is just unbelievable what happened. Unconscionable. For a coach who's been great, I am at a loss. Carroll cost the Seahawks a repeat. Not only that, but they went conservative up 24-14. That allowed the Pats to get momentum. Give them credit. Brady took advantage of the match-ups.

This is easily one of the weirdest Super Bowls ever. The first quarter sucked. Most of the second was similar until the wild end to the half. The commercials were god awful except for that tortoise winning the race. The halftime show was solid. But I like Katy Perry. Then you had Seattle taking over the game. Then let it go with dumb calls. There was no rhythm. It was just odd. Belichick not using the timeout after the Tyree-like catch from Kearse. I guess the SB got an appropriate ending.

• Like 1

Dolphin and Jet fans (and Bills fans) drink alongside one another tonight.

..hardly. This is the absolute worst way to win if you were the Patriots.. and if you're fist-pumping this victory, you've got to be blushing while doing so. I thought my Patriot fan friends would be trying to rub my nose in it, but they all know better. What was considered the least-deserving team to advance to the Superbowl, wins it due to the #WorstCallEver (#1 trending tweet of all-time) Seattle had the game won, but they gave it to the Pats. The most anticlimactic ending in Superbowl history.

Honestly, it IS fitting the NFL season ends this way, it was one giant clusterfvck with contreversy up the wazoo from start to finish.

..prior to this game, I was overly interested in the findings of deflate-gate. I wanted desperately for the Pats to be found guilty, and for the NFL to throw the book at them. But now that New England has won.. I hope NOTHING comes out of this whole fiasco.. and yes, I truly mean that. The integrity of the Patriots means nothing to me.. they lost that long ago with Spygate. However.. the integrity of the LEAGUE means alot to me.. and THEY are the ones who will suffer the most, if Wells' investigation turns up major incriminating evidence. Winning the AFC is one thing.. but winning the Superbowl?! Winning the entire Superbowl off bending the rules with deflating footballs, and illegal plays\formations?? The NFL would look so bad to have allowed the Patriots to participate in SB49, it would damage the league severely. They'd essentially become the WWE.

I'm calling the timeout immediately. I feel this is where head coaches need an advisor standing next to them at all times for these situations. It's an absolute hectic time, and you need someone that can think and process quickly.

I don't play give-up from the five-yard line.  Make them score from there.  From the one-yard line with three downs left...then it's a different story.

I don't play give-up from the five-yard line.  Make them score from there.  From the one-yard line with three downs left...then it's a different story.

Fine, but you can use both timeouts and have 1:20 left.

As for the post above, talk about sour grapes. The Patriots got a gift, but man they made a great play. They made great plays all the time. Just because a team makes a dumb decision, doesn't mean they will get hurt by it. Butler made an incredible interception.

They got lucky, but that's what the NFL is all about. There are 5-6 elite teams every year, and then you basically flip coins. A bounce here, a bounce there. The Patriots have been so good for so long, it has let them get to 6 of these where it's been a bounce here and a bounce there in all 6. That's the key. Staying that good long enough to give themselves achance.

And for the league investigation. The NFL and Goodell botched this one too. I was ready to kill NE here, but n the end, they got nothing. Absolutely nothing, and they let the damn thing drag on way too long with leaks and tlak about sting operations. It was another embarrassment for the league.

It wasn't the best call, but how often are those quick over the middle crossing routes intercepted? Almost never. Sure I would've run it with Lynch too but let's not act like they called some kind of halfback option pass.

This is major salt in the wounds of Jets fans. Revis winning a SB with the Patriots.

Fine, but you can use both timeouts and have 1:20 left.

As for the post above, talk about sour grapes. The Patriots got a gift, but man they made a great play. They made great plays all the time. Just because a team makes a dumb decision, doesn't mean they will get hurt by it. Butler made an incredible interception.

They got lucky, but that's what the NFL is all about. There are 5-6 elite teams every year, and then you basically flip coins. A bounce here, a bounce there. The Patriots have been so good for so long, it has let them get to 6 of these where it's been a bounce here and a bounce there in all 6. That's the key. Staying that good long enough to give themselves achance.

And for the league investigation. The NFL and Goodell botched this one too. I was ready to kill NE here, but n the end, they got nothing. Absolutely nothing, and they let the damn thing drag on way too long with leaks and tlak about sting operations. It was another embarrassment for the league.

Re: being lucky, the two plays that really stick out over this playoff run were the Flacco and Wilson picks at the end of each game.  Both play calls were baffling.  Seattle electing to throw there...there's just no defending that.  Yeah, Butler clearly made a terrific play and deserves a lot of credit, but when you have Marshawn Lynch...I can't imagine what Seattle fans must be thinking right now. 

BB's D was frustrating at times (the drive at the end of the first half to make it 14-14, then the drive at the end of the second half of course), but the fact is, if they don't make some big stops then the Pats never get the chance to come back from 24-14...they deserve a lot of credit for that.  They shut the door when needed, then managed to take advantage of an awful decision on Seattle's part. 

And Beez, your post def has some sour grapes to it.  There is no "bad" way to win a Super Bowl.  A SB win is a SB win, and the undrafted kid made a big play when the Pats needed it.  If your Jets had won a SB the same way, you wouldn't be saying sh!t how they won it.  There's definitely bad ways to lose big games though, and Seattle is on that side of it today.  I think they'll recover from this and be a factor in the NFC again next season, but they'll have to do some healing...it's never a good thing when players are publicly questioning the staff's game calls.  The players probably feel like their coaching staff screwed them last night. 

And also, the formations that Pats used were not illegal.  They were exonerated on that count. 

We'll see what happens with the deflated ball investigation (the media got so much wrong with this from the get-go that it's impossible to believe anything they say...starting with reporting that D'Qwell Jackson turned in the ball because he felt that it was underinflated, when Jackson himself denied that).  There's not much of a win-win scenario that will come out of this no matter what happens...if the Pats are found guilty, they'll be penalized by the league and slammed in the media, and so will the league for not coming down on them harder or earlier, and if they're not, many will assume that Goddell found a way to sweep everything under the rug.  Goddell has a ton of work to do...his "arrogant incompetent untrustworthy douche who only cares about money at the expense of integrity" image is going to be really hard to shake.  I don't know if it's even possible.  He is extremely lucky that the product is so loved by so many and that it's so perfect in so many ways (limited amount of games meaning that just about every game has significance, ideal for TV, fantasy football allowing for added interest in games that might not have much otherwise, etc).  All Roger has to do is stop fvcking up and let the product sell itself the way it always has.  People love NFL football no matter what incarnation of it that they're fed.        

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

CR, the whole stupid football thing was an obvious "well the Pats are cheaters and we need a story for two weeks so we're gonna run with this" non-issue (proof of this? Notice I mentioned that the NFL was investigating Atlanta for pumping in crowd noise during their home games....and NO ONE CARES....because no one cares about the Falcons...)...hell look at all the comments in the NFC/AFC Title game thread....most of them were after the game comments about ball size :P

As for the game itself...we went from:

"Oh my God, the Patriots fans are gonna kill themselves and lose to ANOTHER idiotic-stupid type catch"

....to .....

"Oh my God that could be the worst play call in Super Bowl history"

Reminded me alot of the end of the Niner-Ravens game....except I'd trust Wilson a LOT more to make the right throw...you have to involve Lynch somehow on that play

Collinsworth was annoying awful last night too

......well time for pickup hockey on Sunday season to begin :lol: (fitting since the game looked like it was gonna end in a hockey brawl :P )

I'm onto pitchers and catchers myself MD2020.  Really hoping the Mets are about to turn the corner.  I'll still be watching the Devils (never really stopped), but they are just eye poison right now.

That is a little unfair. Anyone was crazy to say this is one of the greatest defenses ever. It's not. But the Avril injury was brutal. They lost a lot when he left. Losing Lane meant more of Simon who Edelman was owning. Sherman and Thomas were playing with major major injuries. And worst of all, due to vanilla offensive play-calling by Sesttle, they were out on the field the final 20 minutes of game action.

The Avril concussion is why concussions will always be a huge problem. He fails the test and is done. Edelman, maybe the most key skilled player for NE gets his bell rung by Kam and stumbles awkwardly for 10 yards like a teen drunk. Then later in the game he makes a catch and wobbles getting up before a teammate helps him up. He clearly has a concussion, and it's been reported the doctors had to call down twice for him to get tested. He didn't leave the field the first drive and I'm not sure if he was ever tested or if the team was going to let him fail it.

Now I am not saying one team is better than the other because two weeks ago after his INT, Wilson was blindsided to the head by Mathews about as hard as you can be. No way he is passing any test right after. As it turned out, he stayed in and couldn't pass at all for the next hour or so or read a defense.

And by the way we can also end the talk of the Seahawks being one of the great defenses of all time after the way Brady sliced and diced them all night, particularly in the fourth quarter with a ten-point lead.

Edited by devilsrule33

I'm onto pitchers and catchers myself MD2020. Really hoping the Mets are about to turn the corner. I'll still be watching the Devils (never really stopped), but they are just eye poison right now.

I hope the Mets turn the corner too, it would be nice to see them playing meaningful baseball late in the season again. I'm on to the NFL and NHL drafts though. How sad is that? Both of my teams are horrible at the same time for really the first time in my life. While the Fins have been busy being a joke for the last decade and a half, I at least had the Devils... Now they suck too lol.

For me...I want to see what Lou does as the deadline nears.  There are clearly some bodies that need to go.  Team should be markedly different very soon.

As for the Mets...I just want to see them get off to a good start so Sandy can actually come out of his coma and make a real go-for-it move.  I get the feeling he won't though...this year is about winning 84-86 games and "making progress".  The 2015 Mets thread should be starting up any day...

For me...I want to see what Lou does as the deadline nears.  There are clearly some bodies that need to go.  Team should be markedly different very soon.

As for the Mets...I just want to see them get off to a good start so Sandy can actually come out of his coma and make a real go-for-it move.  I get the feeling he won't though...this year is about winning 84-86 games and "making progress".  The 2015 Mets thread should be starting up any day...

CR, your team just won their first Super Bowl in a decade. You don't need to be that reserved. You don't need to be discussing the Mets and the Devils. Don't even think about those teams for a month or so. You don't want to be on our level.

It's not reservation.  It's exhaustion...both emotional and physical.  The ending was so surreal...I still can't believe the Pats won.  Just really really happy for Brady (and the rest of the team of course, but especially him). 

Beez, your post def has some sour grapes to it. There is no "bad" way to win a Super Bowl. A SB win is a SB win, and the undrafted kid made a big play when the Pats needed it. If your Jets had won a SB the same way, you wouldn't be saying sh!t how they won it.

..zero sour grapes here CR. The Pats have just won their 4th Superbowl, nothing will ever take away from that. But to say anything else other than: "Seattle gave the game to New England" is empirical objectiveness. Years and years from now, fans will be talking about how the Seahawks lost this game, more than how New England won it.. and (as happy as I'd be if the Jets won it the exact same way) my opinion wouldn't change in how this Superbowl is\was\will be viewed.

And also, the formations that Pats used were not illegal. They were exonerated on that count.   

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/30/new-england-patriots-illegal-play-ineligible-receiver