Mets, Twins reach agreement on Santana trade

NJDevs4978

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Milledge is going to have seasons where he hits 300 with a 370 OBP and hit 35 Hrs and steal 15 bases, IMO, and that's being conservative. Trading Milledge was not as bad as the Santana trade was good but it is very perplexing. Unless the Mets feel Milledge is going to be shot or kicked out of baseball it doesn't make any sense to me still.

And how many times do the Nationals play the Mets this year?

Sorry - my friend runs a Mets blog called Blastings! Thrilledge and needless to say he was heartbroken when they traded Milledge for two league average players in their primes.

76, mechanics are to blame for Prior's troubles - Wood I know less about, but there's rumors he pitched on back to back days in high school. Brien Taylor was a freak thing - kid hung out with the wrong crowd and paid for it, that's just a sad story. You can cite lots of prospects that failed, but I can cite more that succeeded. The major leagues are full of prospects who worked out. I'm sure you have a totally different attitude regarding hockey prospects and baseball prospects, but that seems unfounded.

And yes, I meant 'underrated'. I don't think clubhouse chemistry affects very much on a baseball team, just the media circus around it. Milledge is a very talented player, and the Mets will regret squandering him. Common projections range from Rondell White to Gary Sheffield or Andruw Jones.

They traded milledge cause he had a bad attitude and they needed a defensive catcher. Maybe he was the in house scapegoat for the collapse last year. Not sure, but Ryan Church is a solid if unspectacular player. Omar figured he only had 2-3 year window with the vets on this team and dealing with Milledge for that time was more trouble than it was worth. A developing Milledge would probably give Church's numbers without the headaches.

I can't agree or disagree with the move cause I dont' know what happens behind closed doors but my personal feeling is that a lot of young guys have bad attitudes, good coaches and veteran players are supposed to change that. Don't forget that was justification for the Kazmir trade (Al Leiter and Rick Peterson thought he was a pot smoking punk) and they shipped him out for garbage. In a year we'll have a better idea if it was smart or not, but I would have liked a better package in return for Lastings (especially considering he could have gotten joe blanton a year ago).

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

They traded milledge cause he had a bad attitude and they needed a defensive catcher. Maybe he was the in house scapegoat for the collapse last year. Not sure, but Ryan Church is a solid if unspectacular player. Omar figured he only had 2-3 year window with the vets on this team and dealing with Milledge for that time was more trouble than it was worth. A developing Milledge would probably give Church's numbers without the headaches.

I can't agree or disagree with the move cause I dont' know what happens behind closed doors but my personal feeling is that a lot of young guys have bad attitudes, good coaches and veteran players are supposed to change that. Don't forget that was justification for the Kazmir trade (Al Leiter and Rick Peterson thought he was a pot smoking punk) and they shipped him out for garbage. In a year we'll have a better idea if it was smart or not, but I would have liked a better package in return for Lastings (especially considering he could have gotten joe blanton a year ago).

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to player's attitudes either.

Bad attitude winning teams are the "bad" boys of the league

Good attitude winning teams have camraderie that leads to the fortitude to win

Bad attitude teams that lose are losers

Good attitude teams that lose are losers

There really hasn't been any good evidence that the attitude a team has makes winners or losers. It appears talent is much more important than cohesion since baseball is, for the most part, a bunch of individual plays and not team play like football, as an example.

Tri, the Mets trading Milledge had nothing to do with the media and had everything to do with ownership going to great lengths to get rid of cancers on the team after the early '90's team fiascoes. I do think some of Milledge's bad behavior gets overrated and some of it was detrimental, but this is not a Kazmir-Zambrano trade.

The Mets literally invented a reason to trade Kazmir and hyped up Zambrano ridiculously. Milledge showed signs of being a good hitter this year but he's a DH in the making, he was a lousy fielder in spite of his physical gifts and I don't know how much power he's going to develop. Church can be an okay platoon guy and Schnieder filled a purpose especially considering there was no way LoDuca was coming back for (now) obvious reasons and Castro can't be counted on to be an every-day starter.

Mets granted 2 hour extension..

this is ridiculous, just sign him already! i knew this didn't sound good when they couldn't even come to terms on the length after yesterday.. i just dont see this signing happening.. a collapse last year and it looks like we're starting the 08 season with a bad collapse.. unless they sign him in the remaining time

I say after the collapse and if this falls thru there will be plenty of ill will in spring training towards Omar ..

Exactly.. just because he made the trade doesn't make him a good GM. Honestly, it makes the Twins GM look stupid b/c Omar didn't even need to pack-in Mike Pelfrey (top pitching prospect) and Fernando Martinez (overall top prospect).. No reason why this signing shouldn't be done

He should have been given a blank check on Thursday. I can not believe that they are gonna blow this. Letting the best pitcher in baseball slip through our hands.

And why not 6 years? Why 5? They are such babies on little things.. If I was looking to sign him I would want 6 or 7.. Mets aren't stepping up to the plate to get this guy and its about to cost us..

WOOOO!

this is great news and now the Mets have the BEST rotation in Baseball.

Santana

Martinez

Maine

Perez

El Duque or Pelfrey

now i just hope our bullpen steps up ALL YEAR. and we do not leave guys on base late in close games. we need more clutch hitting!