Salvador Returns Tonight vs Isles

Rogan The Goat

Honestly, I don't think it's a terrible move. Not like DeBoer is rolling four lines all game these days anyway, so might as well start Gelinas up front and have some backup for when Volchenkov or Salvador break down mid-game.

I imagine after a handful of tries up front, it'll just be three forward lines and seven D rotating in and out.

Too lazy to check capgeek - is this his last year? Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

i believe that it is.. i hope he isnt resigned we can use his money some where else we have enough quality D.. but for some reason coaching and management like the guy so who knows i would think they would be making him another offer in the off season.

My how short memories we have... Salvador was such a key piece on the cup run two years ago but now people are clamoring for him to be off the team. I've got news for you- right now he's better defensively than gelinas, Merril and zidlicky, and on top of that he's a leader in the lockeroom and the guys seem to like him.

Ideally one of Fayne or zid is traded, but until that happens and it probably won't I'm fine with the 7 d rotation and I'd even be fine with Merrill going back to Albany if that's what has to happen for Salvador to stay (when larsson gets back).

He's slow and old. Salvador in for volch, sure no arguments there. But are you serious? Zids and Gelinas bring something that makes up for there defensive flaws, overall I'd rather have either one of them over him any day. Merrill isn't as physical but he's pretty good in his own end, barring some rookie mistakes.

I don't care what Salvador did 2 years ago, he's not the same player he was, he is 2 years older and it shows. I imagine you are a hard core proponent of letting Marty split/get more starts than Cory.

That being said I like him ALOT more than I like Volchenkov, but they both are way to slow. And this team did just fine with him not in the locker room for the majority of the year, I don't think he brings anything to the Locker room that we don't have without him. The guys are tough, are they never give up.  

I really don't want Merrill sent down, I think he's getting more than enough ice time, to the point where if its between learning up here or down there, I'd prefer it be up here. But you are right Salvador is not going to get benched and he's not going to be traded, so looks like Fayne needs to be moved. Fayne + teddy, lou should work some magic and hose someone.

Edited by Sneax

He's slow and old. Salvador in for volch, sure no arguments there. But are you serious? Zids and Gelinas bring something that makes up for there defensive flaws, overall I'd rather have either one of them over him any day. Merrill isn't as physical but he's pretty good in his own end, barring some rookie mistakes.

I don't care what Salvador did 2 years ago, he's not the same player he was, he is 2 years older and it shows. I imagine you are a hard core proponent of letting Marty split/get more starts than Cory.

That being said I like him ALOT more than I like Volchenkov, but they both are way to slow. And this team did just fine with him not in the locker room for the majority of the year, I don't think he brings anything to the Locker room that we don't have without him. The guys are tough, are they never give up.  

I really don't want Merrill sent down, I think he's getting more than enough ice time, to the point where if its between learning up here or down there, I'd prefer it be up here. But you are right Salvador is not going to get benched and he's not going to be traded, so looks like Fayne needs to be moved. Fayne + teddy, lou should work some magic and hose someone.

I don't think that Mark Fayne is a superstar by any means, but I'd rather move Zidlicky before moving Mark Fayne.  I don't think Mark Fayne would merit a lot of interest.

I don't think that Mark Fayne is a superstar by any means, but I'd rather move Zidlicky before moving Mark Fayne.  I don't think Mark Fayne would merit a lot of interest.

Can we even move zidlicky? I think he has a ntc, and I think he is really good friends with patty and jagr, and I don't wanna do anything that might upset jags.

I've already made my case against zidlicky elsewhere, so I won't get into it again. I agree to an extent that volchenkov's presence on the roster adds fuel to the sal hate, but I stand by my opinion that Salvador is a better defenseman that zidlicky Merrill and Gelinas right now. I want Salvador out there on the pk and in the final minute of a game we're winning before I see zidlicky or gelinas looking like a chicken with their head cut off in their own zone.

I said the other day that I would convert zidlicky to wing and use him sort of like we used harrold a few years back, hopefully that's what happens because I recognize zid has offensive talent but he is just terrible defensively and takes a ridiculous amount of penalties.

I don't see PDB asking a veteran like Zid to play forward - and I also don't see him scratching Salvador and/or Volchenkov when they're both healthy.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the team got off to an awful start with them both in the lineup.  

Sure, Salvador might be a little better than Merril, but Merril hasn't looked completely out of place up here.  He's had some rookie mistakes, but..he's gaining valuable experience.  Experience that would be wasted on an old, slow defenseman like Salvador.  I don't care how much he seems to be liked in the locker room either..there's enough veteran leadership in that locker room without him.

The only reason Salvador is even still in discussion is because of that damn 'C' on his chest that I wish he was never given.

Edited by Devilsfan118