2012-2013 NHL Playoffs

MDPucks

I'm always more then willing to prove my loyalty to my beloved Devils...True fans never have a problem doing it.

Your more of a fan then someone else in here because you've been in attendance to witness all three cup wins since 95' ( so you say).. well thats interesting don't think that makes you more of a fan then anyone just says how old you are. Your more of a fan then someone else because our team got beat by a better faster stronger more skilled LA team in the final last year so your arguing with someone because you now hate that team because they out played ours? Listen i don't hate LA for beating us clearly the better team won thats how it goes in sports, however i did not want to see them have success this year, and they were stopped. None of this makes you more of a fan then anyone else as far as you can know someone on an Internet forum. Just because your a season ticket holder doesn't make you more of a fan then zubie8 or anyone else congratulations you live close enough to the arena and have a work schedule that allows you to commit to going to 42 home games every year.. if i didn't live an hour from the arena id be a sth too doesn't mean your anymore of a fan then Iam i still went to 9 home games in this past half a season, i still watched every single game on tv.. i still go out and continue investing my money in devils memorabilia.. your no more of a fan then anyone else here so take it down a notch.

I used to not give one bit about the Western Conference - til we played the Kings and, yeah people can say what they want, but I don't like the way that series went down. It was like Hollywood finally had a chance to get a cup and they weren't going to miss out for anything, so it was like "people" made sure they got it in the end. That 5 min call toward the end of the last game was just the tip of the iceberg in bad calls that whole series...It was just nice to see the Kings on the losing end this time. Like with NBC so dumbfounded the Penguins could lose, they couldn't believe they got swept, let alone see players like Crosby perform sou lousy, they were like that with the Kings. The network is a network of frontrunners who pick a rising team and stick to them, and then are utterly shocked when "their pick" fails. Ever noticed we've never been their "pick"? (or should we even want to be?)

Ok I hate Claude julien - hate is too strong a word. He's just , just still short of the mark. I think the best thing for HIM would hVe been for the bruins to have completed an epic fail.

LEARNING is what's to be congratulated not getting your name on a Cup not really knowing why. That why I hate all bad bounce, just not going our way, we were doing all the right things crap.

I am of the pinion Julien is just off the mark. Close but not right and I just don't care for his style in the search. Mostly because its not too far off. But off none the less

That said once they were in it. I wanted them to win over anyone else. Now I want the hawks

Sorry PK, the guy already won a Stanley Cup and may well win another.  Yes, he's got a talented team but everyone crapped on him here at the time he was canned and history's shown the problems here were not with him but the guys already in the locker room (who needed to be purged over the next three-four years).

Edited by NJDevs4978

I actually liked Julian during his tenure here.   Still trying to figure out why he got fired.

I still think they were looking for a convenient excuse to can him before chancing a semi-decent playoff run since they finally could get the guy they really wanted (Sutter, bleh).

John Madden. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've always believed it was Madden involved in that supposed puck-shooting incident, the only thing that stops me from thinking it 100% is Lou didn't kick Madden to the curb right away after the season.  Then again it doesn't seem like they're anxious to have him around post-career either the way they have many other alums hanging around.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I actually liked Julian during his tenure here. Still trying to figure out why he got fired.

I still think they were looking for a convenient excuse to can him before chancing a semi-decent playoff run since they finally could get the guy they really wanted (Sutter, bleh).

John Madden. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've always believed it was Madden involved in that supposed puck-shooting incident, the only thing that stops me from thinking it 100% is Lou didn't kick Madden to the curb right away after the season. Then again it doesn't seem like they're anxious to have him around post-career either the way they have many other alums hanging around.

I remember hearing during the 2010 season after Madden left for Chicago that he was building a house here and that he planned on retiring here, but AFAIK he doesn't live in NJ now. Apparently he's a scout for Montreal, so I guess it's fair to speculate if there was some kind issue or issues behind the scenes maybe. I hope not, Madden is one of my all-time favorite Devs (obviously he was the inspiration for my screen name :P). If there are any hard feelings, I hope they don't last. And seeing as how today is the 10-year anniversary of the 2003 Cup, I think it's appropriate to post this: picture-22.png Edited by MadDog2020

Why apologize - you didn't give him the Cup. you're not telling me anything I dont know, thus, I repeat, his winning isn't getting him closer to the kind of coach I like. I've written often and specifically what I don't care for in him. I've also more than outlined each player I felt was weak during his tenure. To me his win took him further away from coaching legend, just my opinion. Who cares? No one.

I actually liked Julian during his tenure here.   Still trying to figure out why he got fired.

I liked Julien too. I never understood why Lou canned him after he achived some success but let a guy like Johnny Mac drive this team into the toilet before finally stepping in. I'm assuming it had to do with 1) Lou's ego and 2) JM being a former Devil and Lou has a soft spot for former Devils.

Regardless, Julien got the last laugh. Especially considering Lou was coaching that Devils team that melted down vs. Carolina.   

Edited by slasher72

I liked Julien too. I never understood why Lou canned him after he achived some success but let a guy like Johnny Mac drive this team into the toilet before finally stepping in. I'm assuming it had to do with 1) Lou's ego and 2) JM being a former Devil and Lou has a soft spot for former Devils.

Regardless, Julien got the last laugh. Especially considering Lou was coaching that Devils team that melted down vs. Carolina.

He fired MacLean a little more than two months into the season. That's about as quick as you can go before firing a first year coach.

MacLean had success as an assistant. It wasn't a move that was out of left field like if the Rangers hire Messier to be their coach.

He fired MacLean a little more than two months into the season. That's about as quick as you can go before firing a first year coach.

MacLean had success as an assistant. It wasn't a move that was out of left field like if the Rangers hire Messier to be their coach.

Well, the Devils had a record of 9–22–2 at the time he was fired. Those 2+ months seemed a lot longer.

Plus they had other issues at the time.  It wasn't immediately obvious that MacLean was the entire problem considering Parise was hurt, Kovy was disgruntled, Langenbrunner had quit on the team and they had cap roster headaches early in the season.  The only time he could have been realistically fired before that was after the November loss against the Islanders, but they actually won three other games that week.

I liked Julien too. I never understood why Lou canned him after he achived some success but let a guy like Johnny Mac drive this team into the toilet before finally stepping in. I'm assuming it had to do with 1) Lou's ego and 2) JM being a former Devil and Lou has a soft spot for former Devils.

If you're referring to '06 that was before Julien.  '09 Sutter coached the team.

Me too. According to Lou he didn't have the team "playoff ready". But as to what that really means, who knows. But I did hear about the players not liking him.

It was mostly a group that had Madden, Gomez, and I believe White and Langs in there that didn't like him.  Then there was the whole Madden firing the puck at Julien episode that was whispered about.

That really was a locker room full of ego's and sh!t personalities and unforunately Julien got blamed for it.  I think Lou has learned his lesson since then as he has been a little less trigger happy when it comes to firing coaches and takes time now to look at the players are part of the problem as well.

The Julien situation, to me, is the biggest mystery in team history. I have trouble buying that puck shooting situation because that behaviour would never be tolerated by Lou. 

Anyway, here is an article about it from Chere:

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello is a man who never admits to having regrets. If he has them, as he must, he won’t say so.

But with the Boston Bruins reaching the Stanley Cup Finals for the second time in three seasons, you have to wonder whether Lamoriello would like to have a mulligan on his decision to fire Claude Julien as Devils’ coach back on April 2, 2007.

Since Julien took over the Bruins in 2007-08, he has won 256 regular-season games. The Devils have won 250.

More importantly, Julien has guided the Bruins to 48 playoff victories (and counting), winning one Stanley Cup. The Devils have won 19 playoff games over that time without a Cup.

Lamoriello denies he has any regrets about letting Julien go with three games remaining in the 2006-07 season and the Devils tied for first place in the Atlantic Division.

"No, because I made the decision at that time with the information I had in front of me," Lamoriello told The Star-Ledger. "If you could go back and make decisions again, knowing what you know now, things would be different.

"You can’t look back. You’ve got to trust the position you’re in and the information you have. Nobody else has that information."

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2013/06/lou_lamoriello_has_no_regrets.html

It was mostly a group that had Madden, Gomez, and I believe White and Langs in there that didn't like him.  Then there was the whole Madden firing the puck at Julien episode that was whispered about.

That really was a locker room full of ego's and sh!t personalities and unforunately Julien got blamed for it.  I think Lou has learned his lesson since then as he has been a little less trigger happy when it comes to firing coaches and takes time now to look at the players are part of the problem as well.

Lou's only fired two coaches in the last decade, with everyone complaining he didn't fire one fast enough.  And yeah the other firing hasn't worked out well but it's impossible to change the whole team just before the end of the season.  I think the Madden thing was just a symptom of the problem and the whole team really had tuned Julien out.

Had to correct my post, for some reason I forgot to count MacLean.

Edited by NJDevs26

Lou can say what he wants to the press, but his actions since then has showed that he has learned his lesson.  He went through a period of 7 years that saw (not counting Lou) Ftorek, Robinson, Constantine, Burns, Robinson again, then Julien.  That's 5 coaching changes where 3 of them were firings, and 2 were due to physical and mental health reasons.  In the 6 years since only 1 coach has been fired, and Lou probably hung on to MacLean about a month longer than he would have in the past just to see if it would work out.