184 replies to this topic

#141 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

No it could be worse. He could do all of those things, and then later in life buy the Devils and run them into the ground and relocate the team. And then a few years later Earth gets nailed by a giant meteor and humanity comes to an end. That would be quite worse.

Fine by me if the first thought came to process. If so:

Posted Image

#142 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,363 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:09 AM

Safe pick with underrated upside. If his offense can translate to 2nd line numbers this will be a massive coupe. He is strong and physical enough that he should be very strong along the boards and be a pain in the side of the opposition. Even as a 20/30 player with excellent board play, physical game and net presence you have yourself another Zubrus.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#143 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,565 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:34 AM

Safe pick with underrated upside. If his offense can translate to 2nd line numbers this will be a massive coupe. He is strong and physical enough that he should be very strong along the boards and be a pain in the side of the opposition. Even as a 20/30 player with excellent board play, physical game and net presence you have yourself another Zubrus.

I thought the most telling quote from Conte was "I wish everybody was Dainius Zubrus. Dainius Zubrus, if he could last for 50 years that would be great."

I want a point + some left over for Matteau in the Q this year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#144 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

I thought the most telling quote from Conte was "I wish everybody was Dainius Zubrus. Dainius Zubrus, if he could last for 50 years that would be great."

I want a point + some left over for Matteau in the Q this year.

i knew you'd love that quote. then again, if we had a team of zubruses, nobody would score. he's a scout's dream and the type of guy every good team needs. but you still need the aces.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#145 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,565 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

i knew you'd love that quote. then again, if we had a team of zubruses, nobody would score. he's a scout's dream and the type of guy every good team needs. but you still need the aces.

No one would score from the other team either. The Devils team of Zubruses would just endlessly cycle the puck in the other team's offensive zone.

The tellingness of that quote wasn't just in the fact that I like Zubrus and have since before he was a Devil, it's that the organization clearly recognizes this is one thing that they don't have AT ALL in their system. Not only do they not have it, they haven't had it for ages, which is probably part of why Zubrus was offered a 6 year contract - they didn't have it in 2007 either.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#146 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

No one would score from the other team either. The Devils team of Zubruses would just endlessly cycle the puck in the other team's offensive zone.

The tellingness of that quote wasn't just in the fact that I like Zubrus and have since before he was a Devil, it's that the organization clearly recognizes this is one thing that they don't have AT ALL in their system. Not only do they not have it, they haven't had it for ages, which is probably part of why Zubrus was offered a 6 year contract - they didn't have it in 2007 either.

Zubi* :giggle:

believe-zubrus.jpg

#147 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

nhl is considering changing some rules after the devils' zubrus offense forced all opponents to forfeit and go home.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#148 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

Everybody who talks about the Rags rivalry from out of town always qualifies their statement with this, but seeing and interacting with Rangers fans every day is one of the main things that fuels the rivalry. You can't just take out one of the main parts of the rivalry and then assume that you understand it as well as those who have to live amongst Rags fans. I love all of our out of town posters, but without actually living in the NY/NJ area, it's tough to completely understand why Devils fans hate the Rags so much.

I don't claim to feel the rivalry as strongly as you local folks (though, you can trust me, I'm VERY passionate about the whole thing, probably even more passionate than I am about rivalries of my favourite local sports teams... Internet is my only medium here, unfortunately, but I've read my share of idiotic comments from Rangers fans and also had a fair share of arguments). Chimaira stated my point perfectly:

And what you don't think anyone from out of town has experience with other rivalries from other major sports to not understand?

No one is trying to erase history, bit it would seem fairly stupid if someone got upset over a rag fan taunting them over 1994 when you can kill any of that sh!t with the simple phrase "3 cups since 94 a$$hole" or just chanting "Henrique" over and over at them.

That's exactly what I mean here. We have all the arguments in our hands now, the only thing we have to do is... respond instead of feeling insecure and offended. We have absolutely no reason to. You think the loss didn't sting them this year? It must have been their toughest defeat in at least 15 years (when they lost the Conference Finals to Philly). You should really take advantage of that. If shouting "94" is still all that it takes to silence you, then I don't know what the Devils have to do to make you feel more confident. I hope you guys silence any morons that still talk sh!t about the Devils. Cheers. :)

This made me chuckle a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcjc0kfX0BI&feature=related

That's just epic, we should totally flood YouTube with this and troll Rangers fans to death! :D

#149 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

nhl is considering changing some rules after the devils' zubrus offense forced all opponents to forfeit and go home.

The new rule places additional trapezoids along the boards where Zubrai (plural of Zubrus) are not allowed to play the puck.

#150 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

I love matteau a lot cant wait to see im in the QMJHL!

Bergevin GM from montreal confirm he try to get NJ pick to draft Matteau

#151 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

Haha, that is exactly what I thought when I saw the tweet.

#152 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:48 PM

This made me chuckle a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcjc0kfX0BI&feature=related

Whoever made this might be my favorite person ever.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#153 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

I love matteau a lot cant wait to see im in the QMJHL!

Bergevin GM from montreal confirm he try to get NJ pick to draft Matteau

mostly cause he's big and french and he said he wants to get more french guy in the team

www.SterioDesign.com

#154 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:38 AM

That's just epic, we should totally flood YouTube with this and troll Rangers fans to death! :D

Henrique-rolled!

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#155 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:30 AM

After all the Zubrus talk in the thread:

From TG:

He works out in the offseason with Devils right wing Danius Zubrus, who congratulated him on joining the organization over the phone tonight.

I see what you did there Lou and Conte!!!

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#156 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:15 AM

damn it, guess I have to change my screen name now.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#157 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

damn it, guess I have to change my screen name now.

See this pick is already having a positive effect!!!!

:evil:

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#158 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

Ideal bottom 6 winger.

#159 mort4345

mort4345

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

I really can't shake the feeling that there is no way the Devils kept their number one pick so they could draft Stefan Matteau. I now think they were going to draft a goalie (based in part on Conte's comments) but all the good prospects were snatched up before their turn at the podium. At that point, Stefan Matteau was probably just the highest ranked player they still had on their board. He could turn out to be a decent/good player going forward, but I highly doubt this is what the Devils origiinally had in mind at 29.

#160 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,717 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

I really can't shake the feeling that there is no way the Devils kept their number one pick so they could draft Stefan Matteau. I now think they were going to draft a goalie (based in part on Conte's comments) but all the good prospects were snatched up before their turn at the podium. At that point, Stefan Matteau was probably just the highest ranked player they still had on their board. He could turn out to be a decent/good player going forward, but I highly doubt this is what the Devils origiinally had in mind at 29.

They probably had 5 or 6 players in mind. They wouldn't have decided not to forgo the pick for one player or position. If the wanted a goalie, Oscar Dansk was still available. Collberg, who many assumed the Devils wanted, was available. The Devils turned down 2 second round picks (including one that was only 4 spots back) to draft Matteau. They saw something they liked. He may not have been their first choice, but he was clearly pretty high on their list.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users