Marty on WFAN at 12:45

gardenstatepkwy

Marty said the highlight of his career was the '95 Cup.

Not surprised by that...that first one has to be so special for them.  Not that the second one and following ones aren't awesome if they're so lucky to win more, but the feeling they must get that first time...especially when no one expected them to, as was the case with the "They'll be Lucky To Win A Game" 1995 Devils...can't imagine what that must feel like. 

Marty just said the Devils' #1 priority should be to get Cory locked up to a long-term deal. Said Cory needs to play 65-70 games.

Said he's taking a step back before deciding what to do. Leaning towards playing next year.

He's definitely correct about Cory.

Have a feeling more and more that he's amenable to anything next year, if he plays...meaning that 50+ games is no longer a must for him.  I think reality is starting to set in for him, in a good way. 

Have a feeling more and more that he's amenable to anything next year, if he plays...meaning that 50+ games is no longer a must for him.  I think reality is starting to set in for him, in a good way. 

I hope its because Lou read him the riot act after the mediocrity comment.

yah he said he could have retired after 95 and called it a successful career

also said hes been on bad teams that have done well and good teams that didnt win.

also i think he misses kovy too or maybe i just made that up

Edited by lazer

Have a feeling more and more that he's amenable to anything next year, if he plays...meaning that 50+ games is no longer a must for him. I think reality is starting to set in for him, in a good way.

To hear Marty say those things about Cory is very relieving for me. It shows me that he seems to get it. His comments during the season depicted someone who was, frankly, delusional. But you're right CR- it seems reality IS setting in, in a good way, for Marty.

I need to get to a Devils game at MSG next season, but man are tickets expensive for those.. Anyone who has gone recently, is it really worth it?

I wouldn't mind invading that sh!thole as an NJDevs group. We can get a bunch of seats together and marvel at the newly transformed Garden. :P

I hope its because Lou read him the riot act after the mediocrity comment.

I think it's more because he's starting to see that he simply isn't what he was anymore, and there isn't a thing he can do about it. I don't think Lou would ever scold Marty, even if he didn't like some of Marty's quotes. Larry Brooks summed it all up pretty nicely in his article...Marty was raging against Father Time there for a while, and it has to suck when you can seemingly beat every other challenge as an athlete except for that one. It can't be easy for someone like him to pass the torch to the younger guy who's now clearly better than you, and say "Here you go, run with it."

I agree with this. He never made a comment during the season that could be described as 'delusional' that is a product of board hyperbole. But as I have posted before, Marty revealed himself in an interview after one of the team's games in which he talked about wanting to 'prove to himself that he can still play.' You could see in his eyes at that moment that he was struggling and I can understand that. The guy is human. That's why the brutal attacks on him by a few posters on this board ticked me off so much. All Marty knows is the game, and you can tell that he's not the kind of guy that's good at much else.

I think a lot of his anamosity this season was due to some promise or assurances he received from Lou and/or PDB regarding playing time following the trade for Cory at the draft.  Just reading through some of his comments, he seems to intimate that he believed it would be, at the very worst for him, a true split of games between the 2 goalies throughout the season, and he wouldn't be put in a situation where he sat a stretch of 4 or 5 games in a row (especially ones that mattered towards the end of the season) in favor of Cory.

I need to get to a Devils game at MSG next season, but man are tickets expensive for those.. Anyone who has gone recently, is it really worth it?

It's worth it when you win, absolutely. We had two absolutely amazing wins there this season; the one with Carter scoring a winner with 3 minutes left and the one with Gelinas' slapshot OT winner. I was at the first one and was lucky to get super nice box-ish "gallery" seats for $65 (got them the afternoon-of, plus it was a weekday game; best way to go). My girlfriend and I said "F*** it, let's splurge" because the Devils were in the middle of a long road stand so there were almost 2 weeks without a home game, or something like that.

Compared to the last time I was there, everyone at the Garden now is a big p***y, there's been a complete overhaul/change in clientele, there are no "hardcore Rangers fans" there. I saw the obvious suits, the well-to-do crowd, but moreso a ton of tourists, like it was a Broadway show. I wasn't heckled once, not before the game, not during, definitely not after. There was maybe one or two "Let's go Rangers!" chant all game and a good contingent of "Let's go Devils!" chants that broke out pretty loudly after our goals. By comparison, the Devils fans that were there were pretty loud. I imagine the type of Devils fan that wants to throw down $70+ to see a game at the Garden is probably pretty passionate; it's no college-night casual fan going out of their way to get there.

As the venue's concerned, the renovation hasn't been anything special. New materials, but mostly the same old design. The sight-lines weren't that great, especially considering I was sitting in what is usually a pretty expensive area. I'd pick seeing a game at The Rock over the Garden any day of the week. And that's my unbiased opinion as an architect/designer, not as a Devils fan. It can get claustrophobic during intermission.

But yeah, I would go back again. Especially if the Devils are on a roll at any point next season before playing there.

I wouldn't mind invading that sh!thole as an NJDevs group. We can get a bunch of seats together and marvel at the newly transformed Garden.  :P

As long as it's a weekday game, you can find tickets in the 60-80 range the day of if you're patient enough. We should all organize something.

Edited by DJ Eco

I think a lot of his anamosity this season was due to some promise or assurances he received from Lou and/or PDB regarding playing time following the trade for Cory at the draft.  Just reading through some of his comments, he seems to intimate that he believed it would be, at the very worst for him, a true split of games between the 2 goalies throughout the season, and he wouldn't be put in a situation where he sat a stretch of 4 or 5 games in a row (especially ones that mattered towards the end of the season) in favor of Cory.

With respect, this is the kind of post I have issues with. Everything you just wrote is either completely unfounded or just simply never happened.